Trying to figure out the name of this boss

So I was up to SR 60, and doing pretty well and feeling really tanky now on my blademaster. All the sudden this boss destroys me, I go back in and end up dying about 4 times to beat him finally. I almost stopped trying.

His name was Something Sentinel, and I killed him then forgot what it was since I wanted to look up why the hell I struggled so hard with him. He had a shield and almost seemed like he had high reflect, retaliation, or something like that. Seemed like I was just killing myself, which was crazy since I have a pretty good amount of life steal and defenses now.

Anyway, was just trying to figure out exactly who that was in case there is something I can do to beat him easier if I see him again.

Sounds like either The Sentinel or Shattered Sentinel.

You might have gotten unlucky and he spawned with a shield with Retaliation damage equipped.

Shattered Sentinel sounds like it. There was a word in there that I couldnā€™t remember. I didnā€™t realize it could ā€˜spawn with a shield with retaliation damageā€™. Thatā€™s kind of nuts and sure adds a bit of RNG to it. It Iā€™m tanky enough that I was trying to run from it and accidentally agroā€™d all the bosses at once, and after I died twice I ignored the Sentinel guy, killed the others, then killed myself one more time on him before finishing itā€¦ so a strong retaliation shield or something sounds like it must have been it.

all humanoid enemies can spawn with the items they are actually wearing
itā€™s called ā€œWYSIWYGā€ What You See Is What You Get
and some enemies have a reputation for spawning with real nasty items, ex sentinel spawning with retal shields :joy:

https://www.grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/monsters/#q02 for the game guide article on WYSIWYG.

Back in vanilla, Fabius was known for one shotting players and taking the spot as Most Damage Taken when he spawned with the good olā€™ Notched Bone. And this was before it was nerfed, imagine him spawning with the old version:

Old Notched Bone

Iā€™ve had some Lokarrs go from full facetanks one session to out of nowhere destroying me the next as well because he spawned with a pure Physical 2-handed Mace with the Superior prefix for more damage and +300% Physical damage for the suffix.

Itā€™s rare to get some of the above kinds of spawns so it doesnā€™t happen frequently but itā€™s real rough when it happens :sweat_smile:

1 Like

yep or that :rofl:
Fabius, Sentinel and Lokarr are probably the 3 top contenders for WYSIWYG gibbing me - Lokarr really making you respect completely ordinary affixes, and Fabius making you look twice more at his hands :laughing:
+iā€™ve definitely died more than a handful of times, on 200attack speed melee builds, against Sentinel with a less than fortunate retal item spawn :sweat_smile:
WYSIWYG make hp go plllrrr :arrow_heading_down:

1 Like