Ultimate Hardcore 2 Handed Ranged Infiltrator- The Demon Hunter

Build Intro:

Yes, another Grim Dawn build based on a Diablo class. Which also happens to be kind of unique to me since I intentionally went out of the way to use mostly non-set legendaries for gearing this time around.

Source: Diablo III Demon Hunter concept art

Pros & Cons

PROS:

1. Good mobbing and single target damage
  2. Satisfactory performance at all attack ranges, but it strongest around mid range
  3. offensive abilities that provides good HP sustain from life steal / ADCTH
  4. High mobility that is able to take advantage of of character positioning

CONS:

1. Is pretty much classified as a glass canon for all intents and purposes
  2. Very aggressive playstyle with an emphasis on ducking in and out of melee range for max damage
  3. Has some slight energy issues

Leveling

Since I couldn’t find an appropriate leveling guide for a Pierce/Bleed ranged infiltrator, I had to map out my own skills from level 2 - 94.

Your main priority would be to max the entirety of the inquisitor skill tree first and do the same for aura of conviction: Inquisitor, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Before moving on, here is how I recommend distributing our skill points following each Level Up:

• 2 points into inquisitor / 1 point into Nightblade Skill Tree (Level 2 - 50)
  • 1 point into inquisitor / 1 point into Nightblade Skill Tree (Level 51 - 90)
  • If you are done with the inquisitor tree, then focus completely on the Nightblade Tree

Using the above skill points distribution ratio, we will now proceed to put at least one point in Word of Renewal, max out Vigor and put at least 6 points into Steel Resolve. Remember to invest one point into the Nightblade tree per level up to unlock Pneumatic Burst: Infiltrator, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

At this point, we are done with the Inquisitor Tree for a bit, so let’s focus on the Nightblade side of things. Max Pneumatic Burst for the healing and increased attack speed, then unlock and max Anatomy of Murder for a huge boost to cunning: Infiltrator, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Continuing on with the nightblade tree, unlock Elemental Awakening and put at least 7 points into it, then put at least 7 points into Phantasmal Armor. This is to increase our character resistances: Infiltrator, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Lastly, we will finish up with our Nightblade skill allocation by putting at least 7 points into Veil of Shadow, Maxing out Night’s Chill and raising the mastery bar to 50: Infiltrator, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

From here on, you may allocate remaining skills as you please. Feel free to place one point into Blade Barrier and consider skills such as Shadow Dance, Inquisitor Seal and Deadly Aim. Here is an example of of my skill tree at level 90-ish: Infiltrator, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Blade Spirit and Ring of Steel can be completely ignored before we swap to our endgame gear. Leveling was done on Normal & Elite as a ranged 2 handed auto attacker.

Rare/ Monster Infrequents/Faction gear choices:
Ghavlin’s Crossbow
Ugdenbog Boltthrower
Legion Spaulders
Coven Combatant’s Spaulders
Solael Combatant Spaulders-
Murderer’s Epaulets
Chosen Epaulets

Epic gear choices:
The Interrogator
Sharpshooter’s Bolt Rifle (Level 60 & 82 variant available)
Bounty Hunter’s Shoulderguards
shadow’s grasp
Quickdraw Gloves

Devotions- Note that this will be the same for our End game build

1. Yellow Crossroads
  2. Assassin’s Blade (Bind to Beronath’s Fury)
  3. Purple Crossroads
  4. Empty Throne
  5. Crane
  6. Assassin (5 nodes, Bind to Blade Spirit)
  7. Scales of Ulcama (Bind to Veil of Shadow)
  8. Blue Crossroads
  9. Eel
  10. Ulzaad, Herald of Korvaak (Bind to Ring of Steel)
  11. Hammer
  12. Lizard
  13. Azrakaa, The Eternal Sands (Bind to Storm Spread)
  14. Refund blue Crossroads
  15. Unknown Soldier (Bind to Chilling Rounds)

Build

Infiltrator, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator : Final Build
Attribute points- Physique/32 Cunning /75 Spirit /0

Before I continue, I made two changes to the final build which do not show up in the character screenshot above:

1. Swapped out chest component (originally Eldritch Mirror) for a Titan Plating. Not sure what happened, but I could have sworn that an enemy with ‘reflection’ took me down to 25% health. Maybe it was my imagination, but better to have more reflected DR than end up dead.

2. Tinkered with my skill point allocation before writing this guide. If anyone was curious, I went ahead to max Ring of Steel & Circle of Slaughter because I was outputting a lot of damage even when I did not cap the skill and its modifier in the original build.

While it is completely feasible to spam your LMB from afar, and use Ring of Steel as a crowd clear when you are getting surrounded; Ring of Steel should be used as an opener, followed by just the right amount of kiting to stay within medium attack range to wait out the cooldown period, before swooping in to use Ring of Steel again.(Of course, remember to use your LMB attack to take pot shots at anyone trying to close the distance and drop inquisitor seals for damage mitigation.)

The reason for this is because I mapped the Ulzaad’s Decree celestial power to it so I can have a lot more control over the power, hence giving it a higher likelihood to activate on demand.

Other than juggling skill cooldowns and being mindful of your own kiting radius, keep an eye on the energy gauge, because even your normal attack will slowly deplete your reserves if you have kept the button held down for too long ; best to let your blade spirits finish off severely injured monsters at every opportunity to ensure that your energy can regenerate fully.

As mentioned earlier, this build is pretty aggressive for a glass canon, so I’d only recommend it to advanced players who are well versed with enemy attack patterns and want a character that feels more hands on. Personally, I feel that it can do a lot of damage if you can manage to kite and toggle RoS consistently off CD, but it’ll feel very lackluster if you play this build too safe.

Also, if you desire a higher attack speed, swap out your Mythical Shadow’s Grasp for a pair of Mythical Quickdraw Gloves. Just keep an even closer eye on your energy usage if you do.

Final Words :

Fun fact about this class is that it a ‘Pseudo Pet’ class in a way. To elaborate, in addition to 2 blade spirits always active, I often see 2 living shadows and about 3-4 sand devils (from my relic) spawning to assist me, which does help with mob culling. Also, Phantasmal Blades binded to Blade Spirits has such a good proc rate which is great, since I feel that it does well at causing supplemental damage.

4 Likes

Grim calc is empty.

1 Like

It should work now. Thanks for pointing that out :slight_smile: