(unsure if bug) double mana cost on dual wield ranged

sry if this is not a bug
skills that is fired using both hands cost double mana when using dual wield ranged
the same skills used as dual wield melee has a single mana drain instance
*noticed this early game with ABB, which i’m aware of acts a bit different on ranged than melee
but i then went on and tested it with Slam/Claw Component and DAR like Righteous Fervor, each bullet fired drains mana as if separate skill used while on melee both hands connecting is only counting as single usage/mana cost

*if this is not a bug, but intended, or just jank of the engine, feel free to move this to Feedback and Ideas and consider it food for thought to “fix” the double mana cost. I’m thinking it’s probably not at all significant for endgame, but during early game levelling it’s extremely noticeable, easily going out of mana quick

1 Like

I cannot reproduce this.

Seeing correct energy costs with 2 guns for ABB and Righteous Fervor.

it’s only when the shot is using the dw mechanic of two bullets

I tried that, no repro.

EDIT: looks like it can happen with ABB. It’s incorrectly triggering two casts. No repro for RF though.

oh sry didn’t see your edit

7 mana cost,
first two 1h shots go down to 285mana as expected,
3rd shot which is both hands go down to 278

I pumped up RF to 100 energy and checked every variation of the shots then compared it to DW melee.

What mod are you running over there anyway with that blue energy bar…

just a settings folder thingy from maska
i can try without

Was able to repro, will take a look.

legit don’t know if it was just weird rng just now, but after cutting out the settings folder the ui change, i had like 3 minutes, of real jank activation or rather non activation, even with slam/claw component - like several times it would not charge double mana
but then now again smooth activation of double mana in a span of few seconds @_@
almost for a minute thought maybe it was the UI colour, but since it happened again without anyway, idono, weird on/off thingy

Part of the reason the repro is inconsistent is based on the range in the test. Essentially, if a projectile hits the target before you’re done firing the multi shot, it can trigger another instance of the cast cost.

Unfortunately this one goes deep, to some fundamental systems and falls under “will not fix” at this point.

2 Likes

Fortunately this bug can be handled by the player in a way that keeps it from having too strong an impact.

Double mana cost is only a practical problem with blade burst. Blade burst has a high mana cost, whereas the other main ranged attacks don’t (primal strike also costs a lot, but is 2H only, so can’t trigger the bug).

So the problem is only present in a practical way for blade burst gunslingers. I like playing blade burst gunslingers, and in my experience, mana cost can be a big deal in the early game, but there is a way to handle it: put only about 5 points in blade burst early on, and instead invest heavily in lethal assault.

Lethal assault not only buffs blade burst, but also the shots in between, it costs no mana, it’s a pretty substantial damage boost, and is a bigger damage boost for single target, though it also applies to AOE.

If you want to increase blade burst beyond your capacity to regenerate mana over time, you’re looking at energy leech. Phantasmal armor has a chance for substantial energy leech when hit. Ranged characters get hit less often, but it’s rare to be in a situation where you never get hit at all.

Arcanists can invest in IEE and Necromancers can invest in reaping strike to get energy leech. In practice I never need to use devotions to get enough energy to keep going, but if you made a character that did, the second point in Viper and the first point in Revenant have a chance of energy leech.

totally understandable, appreciate looking into it :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.