Update on the v0.8.1...update!

Version 0.8.1 waiting room…

1 Like

When getting over 300 population, managing storage location/priority becomes a huge productivity bottleneck. Perhaps another role for laborers could be created when the town reaches a certain size. A role like a courier, or supplier. Anything that gives options to cut down on travel time would greatly improve the gaming experience from my perspective. Oh and I know performance is already being focused on, but that is also a major issue preventing enjoyment. I’m over 400 pop on my current town and it lags constantly. I’m a patient person, but I could see this stopping people from playing late game civilizations.

Overall this is already one of my favorite games. Love all the developers working on this, the team is doing an amazing job on this.

1 Like

For me, it started lagging around 800. I’m currently at 1020 pop, and it’s… bearable. But when I get invaded, by another 300~ army, it just drops to 9-10 FPS.

The gaming PC I have needs work done on it, so I’m using my cheaper PC for everything right now. Not everyone has the best graphics cards, so I think it’s worth mentioning

I would expect that high population is more CPU intensive then GPU.

1 Like

Still no news about 0.8.1?

Went into playtesting on the 5th January.

Not to sound rude or anything, I follow and back plenty of EA games, some even launched months after yours, and they are on track of their second major update at the time I’m writing this message, with weekly reports about the state of development. You heard that right, weekly devlogs & proactive communications through Steam forums and beyond.

Here instead, we are forced to beg for news for an update we don’t even know what it is about.
I absolutely loved the game back in August 2022, little did I know I would be lurking this forum in late January 2023 for having a glimpse of what could come next.

Anyways, I hope this long wait will be fruitiful for us, but for you aswell.

1 Like

Uh, props to them I guess. Not sure what they update people about weekly that’s actually constructive.

I respond to posts here, on reddit and on the Steam forum on a virtually daily basis.

The patch notes for v0.8.1 have been in the playtest forum for a while now:
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/v0-8-1-changelog/124429

And news of this has been posted on the Steam forum at the same time:

What information are you missing or have to beg for?

1 Like

You realize EA games is a massive corp of hundreds if not thousands of people? Crate is like what a few dozen at most?

In this case EA refers to early access games :wink:

1 Like

Yea I see that now. But point still stands.

Not sure what they update people about weekly that’s actually constructive.

Hello !
That’s a good one. Very quick, what they are working on wether it’s from the art side, the technical side or more broadly a set of milestones, what they plan to do in the future to put it simply.
If lucky, with some sneak peak of their work, those sort of things.

If I’m not mistaken, your last " State of Early Access " was in October, I believe the very reason of an Early Access is a contract where we can afford to get involved, from the player perspective of course.
I’m not saying you weren’t responding to people on Steam though.

As for your final question, it got “answered” 22 days ago, hence my message earlier today.

Now back to ROBO:
No, your point doesn’t stand, I was careful to refer to indie studios of course, allegedly smaller than Crate Entertainment, but here I think I’m disgressing.

Who are “they”. Please provide the name of the game and the developer - a URL or link to the game in question would be nice.

I’m curious to see if this is real or just your perception.

2 Likes

I mean, if that is exciting and meaningful to you on such a minute level, that’s great, but we’d rather paint a big picture periodically. We’ll have a third state of early access update in the near future.

As for milestones, sure we have internal goals, but those are moving posts, and we often shift our priorities based on what the community is saying, which makes having a big list of milestones kind of moot. Personally, I don’t pay much attention to studios posting their milestones and estimates. Those oftentimes end up being “TBD” or end up way off anyway.

4 Likes

Sure, I’m not here to lie :
Infraspace, Medieval Dynasty, The Isle, Stranded Alien Dawn on top of my head.

Good to know ! Thanks.

Personally, I don’t pay much attention to studios posting their milestones and estimates. Those oftentimes end up being “TBD” or end up way off anyway.

I agree on a general level, which isn’t the case as for most of studios I was thinking about.
Anyways that was a small rant, it’s your game you’re free to pursue your dev as you wish, however I’m also free to be critical about it. ( the Early Access scheme, not the game at it’s state of course )

As always, I look forward to see this next update live, as I said I like this game ! Have a great day.

Another great example of this is Factorio. They made weekly development update posts “Factorio Friday Facts” for something like 8 continuous years of EA development. It was cool to read and get sneak peaks of what might be upcoming, from an art update to some technical under-the-hood changes.

I wouldn’t ever have the expectation that this high level of communication is something EA games should do. I feel like community forums like this are a little old school, but to state that we have to beg for comms or updates is a little disingenuous.

The more time a dev team spends writing “updates” and marketing on the patches and inner workings… The less time they have actually pumping out said patch…

I mean…I know a thing or two about nearly a decade of updates…

There was a fundamental difference between Grim Dawn’s development and Frontier though. Grim Dawn was at its infancy when it had its first public alpha build. We could update players on virtually any aspect of it because things were changing rapidly and being added constantly. It also had the benefit of having hundreds of items and creatures, all of which could make for small updates.

With Frontier, we are refining an already fully playable game. So while new things are coming, and we will have previews as things are ready, they do take longer, and bug fixes don’t make for exciting dev blogs (to most people :P).

3 Likes

As someone who checks the forums daily, for updates on the next patch, it would be great to actually have a time frame like “Every Monday there is an update from devs on the progress and any additions” or something like that.