Usefulness of Aether Spread?

Time for another question.
I’ve been eyeing Rutnick’s Blaster for a while now (never actually attacked him so far), and I’ve been wondering:
How good is that proc, actually?
3x 28% weapon damage + a low flat amount seems like it’d be worse than a regular shot. edit:… ok, ok, it isn’t that low.
Does it at least get an extra shot if you dualwield?
I assume it doesn’t get more likely if you have multiple, though, as described, I’m not sure i’d want it to.

Just like Storm Spread, it shoots twice the listed projectiles with DW and Gun&Shield (and probably 2H (only matters for Storm Spread) but I haven’t tested) so it’s a strong shotgun proc

1 Like

Ahh, ok. Dunno where I got +1, then. I guess that makes it really useful for dw, at least.
Is the same true for that lucky shot proc on the Jaxxon’s Lucky Bullet ring?

should be

10chars

Thank you. Makes it worth trying out, if nothing else.

Yes I have made such tests (for shield + gun)

Also don’t forget it gets multiplied by your default attack charge multiplier.

1 Like

Also allows DW ranged, freeing your relic and medal slot (if you’re not Inquisitor of course).

Don’t know if Zantai will give me shit for revealing this, but the Aether Spread wps allowing DW ranged wasn’t intentional at first during testing. But Zantai allowed it after some testers suggested to keep it since it gave it an identity (a MI allowing DW ranged).

2 Likes

Fascinating. I’d agree, though. But then again, Inquisitor is one of the few sources of reliable, ranged, offensive aether resist reduction.
Hard to imagine actually playing aether damage ranged without that class. Though I suppose it doesn’t have to be.

how does this work? i’m looking at righteous fervor right now in grimtools. 8th charge level is 115%, then there is 155% weapon damage. so what gets applied to rutnicks 30% weapon damage?

there is also physical and pierce to aether skill mod on righteous fervor. this only applies to righteous fervor right, and not WPS?

Get outta here! That gun enables dual wielding?! Thats awesome! Man i love these little easter eggs!

How does that qualify as easter egg? there are more guns that enable dual wield.

1 Like

Just taking a cursory glance at the stats somewhere and then deciding it may not be worth going there could certainly happen.
However, I wouldn’t call it an easter egg not because it’s not the only gun that does that, but mostly because it also says it does right on the weapon description. Unlike, say, the Stormrend Axe.

As to the workings( @vael ) :
The weapon damage of WPS (weapon pool skills) is a multiplier on the base damage the weapon does with either the default attack, or the default attack replacer you use.
Ignoring the flat damage bonuses both the skill and the gun have, Righteous fervour would have 155% weapon damage, multiplied by 1.15 for the charge level, then multiplied by 30% for a weapon pool skill with 30% weapon damage. (1.151.550.3 = 53.5%)

Which was my original point of contention, 3x 30% is just 90% of the regular attack value, so I assumed the usefulness would fall off in the late game, where the flat bonus damage may not cover for the high base damage being reduced.
However, as has been established since, if you’re dualwielding, you’ll fire 3 shots with each gun, making the skill significantly more useful.

1 Like

Considering most wps have both guns firing in some form or another for dw ranged, this wps is literally the weakest wps i know of (that also happens to be lower damage than the build-in dual fire for dual wield guns at 100% each gun)

Edit: on second thoughts, in terms of wd% total, aether spread’s wd% is just barely better than not using wps at all for dual-wielding pistol build. An average shot for a dual wield has 50% chance of shooting with both pistols built in, which gives the average outcome of a shot to be 150% wd (assuming 100% per gun). Aether spread’s dual shot comes up to 168%, which is 1.12x of the generic shot.

While farming SR with an Aetherkeeper Oppressor (~85ish) @Duchy I looted a vampiric Rutnik of insanity (94). Having seen this thread, and throwing on another Rutnik (84), Soulflayer (75), or the best, Dissenter (82) - it was definitely a viable weapon switch cough ground aetherfire cough, meshed well with BH, and while I did not use it in boss shards, and using some replacements for the build’s items - MIs, Wendigo/Aetherlord rings, etc, it is most definitely worth trying. Changing weapons, however, cancels Arcane Resonance, even if on both weapon sets. Grava used that to his advantage when my Stun Res dropped … RIP me.

Caveat :: with 1000+ hours of farming with a Cabalist w/ 1 ranged & Og’Napesh - maybe my standards are lower than an Inquisitor’s. :wink:

I stashed a Gargabol (Corruption, I have the Core) offhand (Rutnik must be primary) for 2-3 runs and will definitely spend a few hours when the toon gets to ultimate (I love AG) - though I read it is obscenely rare.

Regarding Aether Spread, the damage numbers popping up were not bad (not Scion of the Screaming Veil, but perfectly fine for MC / Shards 1-3). The “Spread” is 25-30 degrees (matching BH) and sets up nice KZs if you utilize landscape (Act IV, Void, Lava maps off the top of my head).

Note :: I only have <30 hours in SR over the last week, and not in Legendary.

tldr :: Rutnik is viable and fun as a weapon switch if you have a non-inquisitor build with high aether bonuses (+vit from insanity helped!). Synergizes well with VM / FG move skills. And DW ranged is just kewl - I don’t remember that existing back in AoM (may be wrong, or just wanted more pets).

This dude is banned for 1000 years. Hopefully we are still playing this game by then and he can thus reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was the gunslinger jacket in GD, and then the belts and relics and in AoM obviously the Inquisitor class. So, yeh, there’s a bunch of options for dualwielding. Inquisitor also has the aether res debuff - but then, that class also offers dualwielding, as well as various WPS that are better than Aether Spread, while boasting no Aether damage, so I guess the gun really isn’t for that class.