V0.8.2 Villagers starving themselves although there is plenty of food

I have noticed that after the new patch, I regularly have villagers die of starvation despite having months of food stored, particularly children. I am not sure if they don’t pick up food or if they just starve to death for no reason.
As for the frequency, it’s a few every year. I tried to take a screenshot whenever it happened, I cant attach that many though.

Experiencing the same thing except no children.

First it was two farmers and a teacher. All died on the road within blocks of their farm/school.

Lost 3 again within a year with similar behavior, they dropped in the road heading somewhere.

We are looking for steps to reproduce this issue:

Uploaded map/sav file. This was saved right after it happened the second time.

Verified game files.
No mods.
Map was started on prior version.
This issue started after update to current version.

Villagers didn’t stop responding. As stated above, all 6 had left their jobs and were in route to somewhere. Almost as if their internal “time to go chow” food clocks were delayed. All other villagers were going about their business.

Favorite map so far (with the exception of starving peeps)

I am not sure if my issue fits into this. My villagers usually don’t stop responding before they starve to death, mostly, they are just going about doing their thing. I have head bakers, arborists, and farmers who die from starvation which I find even weirder. My residentials are all within the area of markets that are stocked and my village has months of food. They either don’t get the food or don’t eat it.

The issue has occurred more than once and is perpetual.
I have verified the game files
I am not running any mods
The issue started after the v.0.8.2 patch
When I select them it says death from starvation.
Well, they die so I can’t move them afterward.

Here is another screenshot from the game.

yeah happens all the time. I just posted a long post about this in another thread.
with lots of details. I lost 41 in 1 dialog window. I paused and searched for the
bodies. 90% of them were in town or in their own house with plenty of food.

the other 10% were legit and on long to and froms from edge of map (large map)
and refuse to use the temp shelters I have put all long the way.

since then I stop and click on a peep I see with the meat symbol above them
and health bar dropping. They refuse to eat and just push on with the job until
they drop dead even with food EVERY WHERE around them.

1 Like

It looks like several of them are dead along the shoreline across from your town. Not exactly what we’ve been seeing in the reports for this issue, but perhaps something new has emerged in the last update.

If this keeps happening in your save, can you share it please?

Saves are located in:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\my games\Farthest Frontier\Save

Zip up the entire TownName_###### folder along with the .map file and .sav that reproduces the issue. If the files are too big, you can use a service such as Google Drive to share it with us.

Can’t remember what year the above map I uploaded was saved (around year 225). But if they play out similarly, in Dec of year 229 you’ll get two back-to-back 4 villager starvation events.

Looks like your dropbox link requires permission access.

Sorry, let’s try this again

Loaded up a new game to find that my citizens are allowing themselves to starve to death with plenty of food en mass since the last update. haven’t been able to play since. reinstalled etc. no good.

yeah I wasn’t seeing this level of starvation until 8.2. flat out refusal to stop and eat.
Still the main strangeness is dying in their own house with plenty of food and most
of the time they are shelter stocking the house and carrying food to it.

1 Like

If anyone has had this issue occur, please report back to us with the following information:

1. Has this issue occurred more than once?
  2. Have you tried verifying game files?
  3. Are you running any mods?
  4. When did the issue start? What was happening in the town prior?
  5. If you select one of these stuck villagers (before they starve to death), what is their status?
  6. Can you try manually commanding one of the stuck villagers? What do they do? Do they move to the commanded position? After the command expires, do they return to their home or resume normal tasks?
  7. Are the villagers all of one age group, or a variety?
  1. Has this issue occurred more than once?
    Yes, It continues as long as i play the game.

2. Have you tried verifying game files?
    yes

3. Are you running any mods?
    no

4. When did the issue start? What was happening in the town prior?
    when the latest patch occurred. Before hand everything was running smoothly

5. If you select one of these stuck villagers (before they starve to death), what is their status?
    They were doing their jobs

6. Can you try manually commanding one of the stuck villagers? What do they do? Do they move to the commanded position? After the command expires, do they return to their home or resume normal tasks?
    Yes i can, they go to location commanded. after the command ends they immediately seek food where as before they were doing other things. this seems to fix the issue but im not going to be able to constantly do this.

7. Are the villagers all of one age group, or a variety?

seems to be a variety.

Got a repro with this save.

It seems to be a combination of stocking water for shelters and the unique shape of your town, where villagers end up seeking water from sources that in a straight line might appear to be close (but are not because of the U-shape of the town) instead of nearby wells, which makes them take really long trips needlessly.

Pair that with their own critical hunger needs not overriding their actions as intended to ensure survival, and we get this result.

We’ll be working on a fix for this.

2 Likes

mine are not getting water. they die doing any job.

1. all the time I lose about 20 to starvation a year with food everywhere.
    They refuse to stop what they are doing and eat even when holding food
    in their hands.

2. yes

3. it happens with mods on and off

4. 8,2 patch it started. Nothing out of the ordinary is happening when
    it happens.

5. status is normal. they are doing their job. they run around and I watch their
    health bar drop and then they die while I am watching them. They have
    the meat/food icon above them also.

6. I’ll play later and see what happens with commands
    and update this post. I’m curious if I will get same as Matt_Nykamp

7. all ages and types

In your case, it’s this:

ok thanks!

Can we get a notification when this fix goes live? I like to have my town running while i work and hoping i can complete it before 8.3

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.