[v1.0.2.1] Mom's Panetti - Easy to gear, easy to play Mage Hunter

Really depends on the gear you have available, in every leveling you get that dip in power somewhere between 50 and 75. This game is really hard if you play it the first time. I usually equip a few 50’s legendaries that boosts defenses like Golemborn or divinesteel shoulders. Just try to invest in surviveability first, damage second and you will manage your way through :slight_smile:

I did somethign similiar as my first AoM character.

Started off strong, started feeling like crap in ultimate until I got the new mythical support items (Panetti, Spellgaze, Invoker Blaze), became O.K. afterwards. Spellsteal life steal was the big breakthrough that made the build click.

The sad reality is that the single target damage is still low, and the best way to bump it up is with a ton of proc devotions while facetanking with Inquisitor Seal and Mirror.

Pretty sure my dusty dual deviltongue pyromancer outdamages my 100 mythic geared mage hunter at 85 with zero mythics.

Also, Aura of Conviction is sadly overall better than Censure. You feel the elemental debuff, but the enemies you need that damage boost for hit you really, really freaking hard in melee range. The damage resistance from Conviction was a dramatic improvement in my ability to kill ultimate Nemesies, and the OA boost actually made the loss of the resist shred not that bad because Mage Hunter has a lot of crit damage.

Censure and conviction both work, and both have their advantages, I figured out it really doesn’t matter that much while playtesting. Also for a caster it is a strong build. As far as classic “casters” go ofc. This build can solokill almost every nemesis and does well in crucible, not a bad record in a dual wield melee meta.

Spent the weekend leveling my tank and starting farming challenger/first part of elite, remembered why I eventually stopped playing at 500 hours. The grind is real. So I went back to playing Grimcalc instead. I spent a while fooling around with Panetti, and while the direction I went loses out on a lot of things that your build has, I thought I’d link it for giggles:

Panetti’s Machinegun:

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZrGYjON

Kind of a quick and dirty first pass on aug/comps/devos. Pants are a relic of when I first started playing numbers tetris with it and didn’t have enough physique to equip the chest.

This build guide now includes videos! (information copied from main post)

Videos:

Nemesis Kills(Fabius, Valdaran, Ben, Aleksander, Moosie) The build can reliably kite Kupa to death, Maiden should work too(no rep yet) of which I will make a video soon, Grava kinda destroys me but it might be doable.)

Gladiator Crucible wave 140-150

Please note that these aren’t cherrypicked videos at all. Actually kind of the opposite, as it can do the crucible wave in 5min if played better, also I played the Nemsis fights really awful, because I didn’t want to search them all again ._. Also sorry for the poor quality, I hopefully will update these videos sooner than later! I just wanted to show you guys that this build can deal with all kinds of things…even when played like shit like I did there.

Does the seal of blade nerf hurt this at all?

How do you survive with no healing devotions?

I would think so. I guess it depends on how much the Aether RR from arcane bomb holds up the build, because there isn’t much else to bind it to. It’s either devastation or inquisitor seal.

I just hit 51 and started pulling off a few points of OFF and throwing them into Panetti-- but my greater fireblast still does way more damage than Panetti, and I’m missing my big ol AOE on OFF. Also don’t know what components I should replace the enchanted flint and flintcore bolts with. Should I go back to component leveling build or what?

Added your build.

I will defenitly update this once the nerfs come trough. It really won’t hurt that much. We bind the elemntal storm to the stormbox and word of pain to the widow :slight_smile: Easy fix, and we should not lose too much with this, as both combos are great.

Giants Blood + Wayward Soul are healing devotions (def. setup) otherwise we heal a bit through adcth due to Panett’s having weapon damage.

Thanks. Also my thoughts excactly for this build. But I don’t think it could be better than this right now.

That’s a bit tricky. You should always run the setup you feel more comfortable/faster with. For me it was around that point I switched attacks too, but I had a ton of lvl50 legendaries, which made me tankier but slower at first. But I feel the progression is faster when you don’t die as much. It depends on your gear and playstyle tho, it was just my recommandation.

With the 6% ADCtH to Panetti’s on your helm you don’t actually need the skill to have any weapon damage to leech health, that 6% will apply to all (non-dot) damage done by Panetti’s. As for your other 6% that’ll only ever apply to the 36% weapon damage component, and even if you do back that up with heavy investment into IEE or similar that’ll never be a big factor in your damage or resulting health regen.

Some of your skills choices seem off - things like 9 into IEE or 2 into Fabric of Reality. With those two you could drop them to 1 and 0 respectively, move 3 of those points into Distortion and Proliferation and end up with 7 points to spend into defensive skills while doing more damage - yes weapon damage scales that slowly when it is only 36%. Similarly supercharged is likely only worth a single point, Panetti’s tends to shred anything small enough to be affected by the stun already.

Perhaps try something like this

In this variation of your defensive build in addition to the above changes I’ve dropped Null Field (the cast speed hurts your offense substantially, while projectiles aren’t really that dangerous in my experience) and really gone all in on Inquisitors shield, standing in it should feel almost* like having perma-blastshield. Figure if you are going to stand still you mayaswell be rewarded for it right?

Btw how do you like Attak Seru constellation? I have yet to be able to try it, the 30 combined green/purple seem really hard to get without taking a strange and unrewarding path to me.

Oh yeah, you are definitly right on the lifesteal, it’s all the helmet, I even wrote that somewhere in my guide I think haha.

I did spec out of fabric of reality actually, and IEE is more for energy regen, but you can locate a few points otherwise there, too. But Inquisitor’s seal feels so underwhelming defensivly, the flat damage absorb just scales so bad. The offensive use you get out of it is much greater. I might rather spend points on devastation.

Regarding devotions…you got a ton of options and I think I tried out most of them. Ultos, Seru, Sage…and I think this setup is the strongest, although they don’t feel very different, this one has decent suriveability and the fastest killtimes (if not for the glass canon version lol).

I will wait for the next balance patch to update this character , relocate some points, change seal of blades and so on…so stay tuned. Thanks for the feedback!

Update on patch [v1.0.3.0]:
This patch actually slightly buffed this character due to caster armor values! We also don’t suffer from the Seal of Blades nerf, as we can simply rebind Elemental Storm to Storm Box and assign Word of Pain to Arcane Bomb!

Hi, I’m mostly a noob, played a bunch of characters in the last few years on and off but never got past about 35.

I am really enjoying this build although I’m not in a rush so I’m using Panetti’s as I level as well, instead of the Fireblast. I was wondering why in the end you switch from OFF to Storm Box?

As a noob, I have literally no idea what this changes, and right now I’m enjoying OFF a lot so I’d love it if you could explain.

Thanks!

There are two reasons to that:

1. The damage of OFF scales horribly. After level 40 you won’t kill a thing with it anymore. The damage is only good for aoe on early levels.

2. The resist reduction only applies to frozen targets and most of the end game bosses are not freezable. Trashmobs are easy to kill anyway. So there is not much reason to keep OFF other than maybe a quick cc if you get swarmed by trashmobs in crucible (but for that, 1-2 points will do).

With the last patch they added 100% aether to cold conversion to Panetti to Farath’s Cube and I’m currently building a Cold Panetti Magehunter.
Lvl 97 ultimate and seems to work fine.

Makes sense, thanks.

When do I actually switch to Storm Box? I just unlocked Elemental Storm but I have 0 points in box, and have been using OFF.

Should I swap them now? (Level 29)

Edit: I went ahead and swapped and things are good. :slight_smile:

I find the freeze from OFF really valuable along with its -100% fire resistance debuff. It’s hard for me to replace it considering that. I feel like Storm Box isn’t as much of a improvement on damage to make the switch.

You won’t need the fire resistance debuff against trash mobs…while trash mobs are the only things that actually get that debuff. The storm box is a minor but consistent debuff while mainly being used to proc elemental storm.