[v1.0.5.1] Elementalist ToteMortar

Hi, everyone! This is my first posted build so let me know if I did anything wrong or anything needs clarifying in this first post. The ToteMortar Elementalist, as the name implies, makes use of Storm Totem & Mortar Trap to do most if not all of its damage. It’s a bit like an “active pet” build, in that it’s fast paced but the stuff you put down does all the work for you. I designed the ToteMortar character around three ideas that I personally jive with:

• 1. I am very bad at aiming in ARPGs. I need skills that aim for me or have large AoE, but I hate the passive playstyle of pets. I like hitting buttons.
  • 2. I would like it to clear fast while also being relatively tanky.
  • 3. I don’t want to have too many skills. Having huge set-up scares me!

Surprisingly, I managed to fulfill all three - while technically broadening my horizons a little bit on point #3. I have more skills than I would have imagined when I was planning, but their cooldowns work in tandem very well so it’s never a hassle. Before I go into this too much deeper, here’s some links:

Grimtools w/ +Skills & Devotions (and my gear)
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/aZqadwdZ

Grimtools w/o +Skills or Gear
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZRnL19Z

Important break points (regardless skill allotment w/o gear) ::
You want to keep these skill values at this point. Re-distribute your Skill Points if you get new gear and go over them while levelling!

[ul][li]MAX Mortar Trap + Heavy Ordnance + “The Big One”[/li]
[li]MAX Storm Totem[/li]
[li]12 Raging Tempest (-res% falloff)[/li]
[li]10 Thermite Mine (-res% falloff)[/li]
[li]10, 14, OR 18 Blast Shield (+max res% break points)[/li]
[li]11 Vindictive Flame (Total Speed% break point)[/li]
[li]12 Ulzuin’s Wrath (100% knockdown retaliation)[/ul][/li]
Devotions & Assignments ::

[ul][li]Dryad’s Blessing + Flashbang (Dryad) :: Often heals you when you throw a flashbang.[/li]
[li]Healing Rain + Mogdrogen’s Pact (Tree of Life) :: Makes you very tanky in combination with healing flashbangs.[/li]
[li]Elemental Storm + Wind Devil (Rhowan’s Crown) :: Provides more resist reduction and small damage over time.[/li]
[li]Reckless Tempest + Storm Totem (Tempest) :: Procs often, increasing damage. Works almost the same as Storm Totems’ default.[/li]
[li]Arcane Bomb + Mortar Trap (Widow) :: Provides more lightning resist reduction; is on Mortar because it doesn’t need proximity.[/ul][/li]
Stat Sheet (only aura buffs on) ::

Sadly, you will not look this cool by default. Illusionist is your friend!

My Gear ::

[ul][li]Helm :: Dagallon’s Faceguard + Leathery Hide[/li]
[li]Shoulder :: Mythical Light’s Defender Epaulets + Living Armor[/li]
[li]Chest :: Mythical Light’s Defender Plate + Living Armor[/li]
[li]Main Hand :: Malmouth Stormcaster + Seal of Destruction/Malmouth’s Heart[/li]
[li]What?! A blue?!?! Yeah, the +1 to both masteries is best imo.[/li]
[li]Off Hand :: Mythical Skybreach Bullwark + Seal of Might/Malmouth’s Heart[/li]
[li]Gloves :: Mythical Wyrmbone Handguards + Spellwoven Threads[/li]
[li]Belt :: Mythical Hammerfall Girdle + Ugdenbog Leather[/li]
[li]Pants :: Stonehide Dreeg-Sect Legguards of Kings + Ugdenbog Leather[/li]
[li]What?! A double rare?!?! Yeah, just use any good resist Green here.[/li]
[li]Boots :: Mythical Wyrmscale Footguards + Mark of Mogdrogen[/li]
[li]Ring :: Preserving Living Ring of the Basilisk + Runebound Topaz/Kymon’s Vision[/li]
[li]Ring :: Incorruptible Living Ring of Attack + Runebound Topaz/Kymon’s Vision[/li]
[li]Not double rares, but still good. Try to get ‘of the Basilisk’ & ‘Incorruptible’ Living Rings. The other mods don’t matter.[/li]
[li]Amulet :: Mythical Celestial Stone of Halakor + Tainted Heart/Kymon’s Vision[/li]
[li]Medal :: Mythical Mark of Divinity + Tainted Heart[/li]
[li]Relic :: Eye of the Storm[/ul][/li]
Required / Suggested Gear ::

[ul][li]Main Hand :: Malmouth Stormcaster (Honored w/ Malmouth Resistance)[/li]
[li]Very easy to get by Elite, when you can use it.[/li]
[li]Helm :: Dagallon’s Faceguard (Craftable, at least. It gives +1 to Mortar Trap Summon Limit.)[/li]
[li]Amulet :: Mythical Celestial Stone of Halakor (Not required to play, but +40% Crit Damage to Mortar Trap is too good and it has +1 Summon, too.)[/li]
[li]Notes :: Anything with +1 Mortar Trap Summon is very good. +1 Storm Totem Summon is not as good; we can’t cast it fast enough.[/ul][/li]
General Gameplay & Skills Used ::
As I said above, I made this to be a ‘lazy’ kind of build that’s not as passive as pet or retaliation. I needed the Storm Totems & Mortar Traps to aim for me, but still wanted to be clicking and hitting buttons ideally. Most fights go like this:

[ul]1. Storm Totem & Mortar Trap :: Drop one of each. Put these on a key you are okay with hitting often.
[li]2. Wind Devil :: Drop one. Put this on a key you are okay with hitting often, too.[/li]
[li]2a. Thermite Mines :: Not necessary unless there’s a chunky hero in the pack. Hit it once or twice, but not more (6 summon limit).[/li]
[li]3. Flashbang :: Throw one, then keep throwing them until step 1 is off cooldown. I put this on right click. Repeat![/ul][/li]That’s it! Very simple to play and it all loops back well. You can usually throw 2 - 3 Flashbangs before you reset to step 1.

These buffs just stay on at all times. They are…

[ul][li]Presence of Might (Shield Component) :: +% Phys, Pierce, Vitality, Bleeding Resist.[/li]
[li]Stormcaller Aura (Relic) :: +% Lightning & Electrocute Damage, +% Lightning Resist.[/li]
[li]Flame Touched :: +% Fire, Lightning, Burn, Electrocute Damage.[/li]
[li]Vindictive Flame :: +% Total Speed, Stun/Knockdown/Slow retaliation.[/li]
[li]Mogdrogen’s Pact :: +Regen, +% Health, +% Pierce Resist.[/li]
[li]Stormcaller’s Pact :: +% Crit Damage, +% Electrocute Damage, +30% chance of extra Lightning Damage.[/ul][/li]
Build Positives ::

[ul][li]No Aiming or even Attacking :: As I said above, I’m bad at aiming. You don’t even need to attack, just drop stuff and watch damage.[/li]
[li]Good Single Target & Area of Effect :: Storm Totem covers weak mobs and provides consistent single-target damage while Mortar Trap throws huge punches. Both of them cover single and multiple targets easily.[/li]
[li]Very Easy Leveling :: You only need to respec once at level 20. After that you can cruise on Storm Totem & Mortar Trap through everything.[/li]
[li]Very Safe :: Even before the build is complete, you don’t need to be in enemies’ faces ever. You can sit on the sidelines throwing Flashbangs out of harm’s way.[/li]
[li]Very Good Farmer :: You can sprint through a lot of content, even endgame dungeons, very quickly and safely.[/ul][/li]
Build Negatives ::

[ul][li]No Aiming or even Attacking :: This is a negative, too?! Yeah, if you would be bored without attacking, this may not be your build.[/li]
[li]Crucible is Just OK :: Aspirant and Challenger are a breeze; Gladiator is possible but not very easy. Damage pools will kill your stuff pretty fast if you aren’t vigilant, especially on high waves.[/li]
[li]Initially Very Delicate :: Most of your survivability comes from your gear, since we are not Soldier. We have Blast Shield, but even then if you are caught in a bad place while undergeared you may be in trouble.[/li]
[li]Aura Reliance :: This one’s not very major, but heroes and bosses that purge your auras or drain your energy are a hassle. We have a lot of those, and they all contribute a lot - losing them sucks.[/ul][/li]
How To Level ::
A lot of build guides don’t include a how to level it section, but I would like to. This build sails smoothly through Normal and Elite on just Storm Totem & Mortar Trap, and even does well in Ultimate so long as you’re careful. First, we have things to prioritize:

[ul]1. Resistances :: These are critical. Bonus Damage% doesn’t matter very much, you will shred stuff very well with the sheer volume of your dropped stuff.
2. Health :: This is pretty important, too. If you couldn’t tell, we care less about damage and more about living while leveling. You can get enough from just boosting your Skills.
[li]3. Move Speed :: You will be strafing and kiting a lot while throwing Flashbangs, moving faster is good. I recommend a Traveler’s Mark on all boots while you go.[/ul][/li]Okay, but now how do you level? Here we go.

[ul]Step #1 :: Choose Demolitionist. Get 1 Fire Strike, then 12 Explosive Strike. You will use this (probably with a rifle) until you beat the first big boss. Save your points until Level 10, then choose Shaman and start investing purely in the Mastery Bar.
[li]Step #2 :: Respec at Lv20! Get rid of Fire Strike & Explosive Strike, charge up the Shaman Mastery Bar to Storm Totem and buy as much of it as you can.[/li]
[li]Step #3 :: Max Storm Totem, then increase Demolitionist Mastery until you can get Mortar Trap - max that, too. You are now set for Normal and most of Elite.[/li]
[li]Step #4 :: Get 1 Wind Devil, then get Raging Tempest to 12.[/li]
[li]Step #5 :: Get 1 Flashbang, Searing Light, Flame Touched, Vindictive Flame, Ulzuin’s Wrath, Maelstrom, Mogdrogen’s Pact, Heart of the Wild, and Oak Skin.[/li]
[li]Step #6 :: Get 10 Thermite Mines.[/li]
[li]Step #7 :: Finish Shaman Mastery, get 1 Stormcaller’s Pact.[/li]
[li]Step #8 :: Finish Demolitionist Mastery, max out Heavy Ordnance & “The Big One” as you go.[/li]
[li]Step #9 :: Fill out Flame Touched, Heart of the Wild, and Stormcaller’s Pact.[/li]
[li]Step #10 :: The rest is up to you, really. There’s no big deal how things are spent at this point![/ul]
[/li]How about Devotions?

[ul][li]Step #1 :: Spend 1 Point on Primordial (Blue) in Crossroads.[/li]
[li]Step #2 :: Fill out Tsunami, bind it to Fire Strike. Refund Crossroads.[/li]
[li]After you respec, bind Tsunami to Storm Totem.[/li]
[li]Step #3 :: Spend 1 Point on Eldritch (Green) in Crossroads.[/li]
[li]Step #4 :: Fill out Quill & Scholar’s Light. Refund Crossroads.[/li]
[li]Step #5 :: Spend 1 Point on Ascendant (Purple) in Crossroads.[/li]
[li]Step #6 :: Fill out Rhowan’s Crown, bind it to Mortar Trap.[/li]
[li]Step #7 :: Fill out Sailor’s Guide, refund Tsunami.[/li]
[li]Step #8 :: Fill out Tempest, bind it to Storm Totem.[/li]
[li]Step #9 :: Spend 1 Point on Order (Yellow) in Crossroads.[/li]
[li]Step #10 :: Fill out Dryad, bind it to Flashbang.[/li]
[li]Step #11 :: Refund Order (Yellow) in Crossroads.[/li]
[li]Step #12 :: Fill out Widow, bind it to Mortar Trap. Rebind Rhowan’s Crown to Wind Devil.[/li]
[li]Step #13 :: Fill out Eel.[/li]
[li]Step #14 :: Fill out Solemn Watcher, Lizard, and Lion.[/li][*]Step #15 :: Finish with Tree of Life, bind it to any Aura.[/ul]

Your OA is low
Lack of Anderos + Terronox Tome means you need to kite more

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53286

Ooh dang, didn’t even realize someone did a similar build! This is one of my first ‘official’ builds so I don’t know what to go for very well as far as targets like Offensive Ability go. I usually sit still while farming since I am pretty tanky, and I thought about that setup but then I’d just be a Mortar Trap build and probably wouldn’t go Shaman at all, y’know? Oh well!

Survivor’s ingenuity/sylvarria essence on jewelry are better than what you have. Then Ravager’s eye/creed’s cunning on weapons. I’d prefer creed in this case cause your OA is too low. Don’t use Ulzuin’s wrath. It’s one of the most useless skills in the game. Better invest in BWC one pointer + transmuter and Agonizing flames if you can. Gives you great offensive and defensive utility and frees up some devo points.

Also, you don’t need to post a no+skills grimtools. Press ctrl+shift on original gt link and you’ll get it.

Thank you, I’ll look into those ASAP! I had wondered if the knockdown was worth it, and also didn’t want to add an extra button in Blackwater Cocktail. Is it better than Thermite Mines?

Thermite mines is the worst usable RR in the game, though you’d rather have mines and no bwc than bwc and no mines, cause at least without bwc you’ll have elemental storm for flat RR but mines RR is irreplaceable. Still having both would be the best. You’ll only cast bwc once in ~5 seconds so it’s not really that much for one button. You’ll get used to it.