[v1.0] How to 2H Battlemage 2.0 - Obsidian Juggernaught edition. 6min BoC, 25s loghorrean etc

Build is mostly obsolete post patch.
I have a much better version now.

See my Spellbreaker guide in Sig.
Note that this build is still ok, my spellbreaker one is just much better now.

This is a 2h battlemage build based on the active skill Obsidian Tremor given by the item Obsidian Juggernaught. This build was also inspired by the kalimdor’s tempest guide by Most. As such it will also use Aggrivix’s malice proc and devastation on weapon swap with warpfire+aldanar’s manatee.

Obsidian Juggernaught’s skill is a long range piercing 3 projectile cast with a fairly wide radius that shotguns in close range (all 3 projectiles hit same target). This makes it ideal for triggering aggrivix malice’s along with other procs since it hits so many times per cast. We are also able to use the extremely op 2Hander only devotions from kraken. The problem is that the skill is split between physical/chaos, and chaos is a pretty terrible damage type due to many chthonic enemies having resists to it and also a general lack of -chaos resist debuffs. We fix this by converting nearly 100% chaos damage into aether using Clairvoyant’s chest+mantle, and Albrecht’s duality. We will also convert most of the physical part into elemental/aether/chaos to achieve a better unified spell damage attack.

Video: 6min Ultimate BoC run, hero clear

Shar’zul still hits a bit hard, if i wasn’t going for speed would probably wait for a 2nd mirror/devastation. My Char is bugged and is missing a devotion point, the last point would actually help quite a bit :[

Video: 10min Ultimate BoC run, full trash clear

Video: 25sec Ultimate Loghorrean kill

Gameplay:
Basically we blitz onto people’s face and shotgun them with obsidian tremor while procing a bunch of aggrivix’s malice flames to damage everything around you. Against harder enemies or huge packs, weapon swap to drop a devastation then swap back. meanwhile keeping up warcry/flash freeze spam to mitigate damage. Pop Mirror as ohshit button or if you know big damage will be incoming i.e. when tanking inside a devastation against a deathroom etc.

Can fight from range if enemy too strong.

Auras: Maiven’s sphere of protection, iskandra’s elemental exchange, counter strike (1 point here for aoe bleed to proc aggrivix), reckless power, Field of command, optional voidward aura

Without +skills
http://grimcalc.com/build/k6Shd1

Stat distribution is flexible, split between spirit/physique as you see fit. minimum physique requirement is around 550 to be able to use all the gear mentioned here.

Devotions:
See grim calc above, not much to say here, not surprisingly mostly defense/hp regen ones, offensive proc = Arcane bomb for resist debuffing. Pretty standard these days.

Gearing / components / augments:
Head: Maw of Despair, sanctified bone, 15 poision resist
chest: Clairvoyant’s Robe, Chains of oleron, 15 poison resist
shoulder: Clairvoyant’s Mantle, Silk swatch, 15 poison resist
Belt: Phantom-Thread Girdle, antivenom salve, 15 poison resist
pants: Wraithborne Legwraps, silk swatch, 15 poison resist
relic: Aggrivix’s Malice
weapon: Obsidian Juggernaught, imbued silver/wrathstone, outcast’s aether/chaos enchant
ring 1: Albrecht’s Duality, corpse dust, mogdrogen’s sancitity
ring 2: Band of eternal haunt, corpse dust, mogdrogen’s sanctity
neck: Peerless eye of beronath, focusing prism, mogdrogen’s sanctity
boots: golemborne greaves, mark of the traveler/mark of mogdrogen, 15 poison resist.
medal: Blackstar of Deceit, Attuned lodestone or Arcanespark
weapon swap OH: Aldanar’s manatee, silvercore bolts, outcast aether/chaos resist enchant
weapon swap MH: Warpfire, imbued silver, outcast aether/chaos resist enchant

Yes. This is a gear intensive build, and yes, my gear is 100% legit from farming+trading before you ask:)
However, most of this gear is optional, the only mandatory pieces are obsidian juggernaught and aggrivix’s malice. albrecht’s duality and clairvoyant robe+mantle are relatively mandatory but not absolutely.

Leveling Guide:
1-10: take arcanist, rush to trozans, and max it
10-30: level with trozans+psn nova from mark of dreeg and go 50/50 arcanist, 1 point in each of the trozan’s subskills, a few in innerfocus. 1 point in arcane will. 1 point in mental alacrity
30+: unspec trozan, switch to PRM line, max everything except only 1 point in supercharged. max reckless power + devastation when possible. afterwards go into soldier and get passives etc. level with PRM/devastation +use aethersteel bolt ability for ranged resist debuff nuke. do this until lvl 58 when you can switch to obsidian juggernaught.

In closing:
This build combines the strength of aggrivix’s malice proc with a strong multihit skill from item both to reliably proc it even on single targets as well as be a strong dps ability on its own - once we convert the terrible damage types to the ones we want. This allows maximum investment into passives to buff overall damage.

Devastation is a very strong anti boss skill, we circumvent inability to cast it on a 2H by weap swapping since it will persist even if you swap back immediately.

We stack multiple sources of -aether resist, as such to unify our damage into aether as much as possible with nearly 100% chaos damage conversion to aether.

i’ve used this exact build before lol, i think i even mention it once or twice in an old thread

the shotgunning was cool, i actually just threw juggernaut onto my callidor’s tempest character and even with minimal conversion it was still clearing basically as fast. the reason i never bothered taking the build further was that i can’t stand using skills that i can’t bind to the LMB.

nicely done though. i was theorycrafting a build with the new skill from the winter king helmet (which is the exact same as this only with cold instead of chaos) using night’s chill for resistance reduction, probably just a worse version of this though

holyshit, the winterking one looks nice. might try to make a build from it. coldspikes look alot cooler :0

still on myquest to find a nonaggrivix caster build thats good… no luck so far :frowning: but this might be the answer

LOL, I just found the Winter King helmet last night, and was making a character based around that skill as well. Of course, I don’t use GDSidekick, so I have to level all of mine from level 1.

How does Grim Dawn Sidekick allow you to skip the Leveling Process? All it does is allow you to get gear/items without farming it. You still absolutely have to level the character even if you used grimdawn sidekick.

I meant save files, whichever, whatever. Point is, I level from scratch.

How is Fabius farming with this one? thanks

What is that nasty weird sound in your videos? :eek:

not as fast as my saboteur, due to lack of run speed mostly. but without +human damage , kill speed will probably be slower compared to the saboteur.

i didn’t bother farming 25k cronley rep yet again since i wont be using this char to do fabius; if ur looking for a fabius farm build, definitely see my saboteur guide :slight_smile:

i dont think any build is better at farming fabius than my saboteur, believe me i thought about it long and hard before settling on that build… at least thats what she said anyway.

I was fiddling with OJ on my warlock, i wanted a build that can make the full use of the awesome Eye of the guardian proc. This is what i have so far, still need better shoulders and probably a better chest piece.

Yea that is what I made with the OJ as well (+2 Occultist), I use falcon swoop and acid spray since my damage types are pretty diverse. Head, shoulder, chest from the clairvoyant set. I am only level 72 so there will probably be some gear changes.

The chaos to aether conversion actually hurts you. Clairvoyant shoulders are so good the trade-off may be worth it, but if you can craft/shop/farm good rares with “of incantations” and some resistances, they would probably be BiS.

There are much better choices than the Clairvoyant chest, I’m wearing Fanatic’s because i need cast speed, but once I get enough of it I don’t know what I’m switching to.

I’m not sure the Clairvoyant hat is better than the mask I’m using. The lightning proc is doing a ton of work for me and the mask has a huge bonus to all damage. You don’t need bonuses to skills as much as other classes do, since your main attack is item-based.

I’m even considering wearing Iskandra’s head, chest and ammy for the massive defensive bonuses. The chest does little offensively, but gives a ton of health and resistances, the head gives some flat aether damage which works with all the accidental aether bonuses we get, and the activated skill is great. The ammy could be best in slot, allowing us to convert the rest of the useless physical dmg to elemental.

Edit: yea, need more tweaking on my devotions and definitely need more offensive ability. Will do more testing after i shop for some good rings of attack.

Becuase aggrivix is such a powerful proc and most of it is aether, i convert the chaos to aether and stack aether resist reduction, arcane bomb, band of eternal haunt. Chaos resist reduce isnt as easy, and wont help aggrivix very much. Its not really about paper dps of the skill, more the whole picture, aggrivix is like half of the dps, possibily more.

I actually started this build with warlock and played to lvl 71 but decided to do battlage becuase its alot more tanky and there actually is no dps loss, with dighting spirit and field of command

Also this build sucks at fabius due to slowrun speed, its mostly gonna do boc, boc has chaos resistent mobs so aether is better for it anyway

I really like the idea of saving all those skillpoints for powerful defensive passives and stats, but this build just feels a lot clunkier than Most’s.

Weapon switching, switching turning off voidward aura (so I have to recast it all the time), keeping up warcry, lower move speed and the way the attack animation for OJ’s skill works just make it a lot less fun to play (atleast for me).

The survivability is great but I didn’t have any issues against trash/heroes anyway and against the big bosses, blast shield with its short cd makes the sorcerer build even more tanky if you time your cds correctly.

Dps/clearspeed seems pretty similar (felt a little slower but I only have 80% chaos conversion since I haven’t found Clairvoyant’s Mantle yet) and I like how energy management isn’t a problem at all compared to a CT build.

The main problem I see is that losing warpfire and aldanar’s vanity along with the ability to freely cast devastations (or proc with the hood) hurts a lot, so the skillpoints, buffs and stats you gain aren’t really free.

Build would be insanely good if there was another item with a comparable skill that isn’t a 2h weapon.
Saw someone mention the winterking hat, but doesn’t that one have a cooldown?

winterking hat requires a 2h weapon to cast the ability.

this build isn’t better than the CT one, its just a different type of style.

Unfortunately, this seems to be true. In the end, the best idea seems to be to play it as a clunkier version of the standard PRM/Calidor’s Battlemage/Sorc. Shame, I always wanted to make a chaos/vitality spam-caster, but occultist lacked a spammable skill. I really hoped OJ could do it, but it’s just bad.

Since you’re not going for chaos dmg, why not use Crown of the winter king and Temporal archblade or whatever it’s called?

didn’t know about winterking when i was making this.
winterking does have otherwise crappy stats and replaces ur maw of despair, but anyhow u’d be going NB with it , i dunno if its better than this. maybe

Thanx for this great and enjoyable build.
I saw this thread the same day i got the obsidian J so i tried to make the build with my sorcerer.
It seems very efficient for the moment but i’m just lvl 75 in act 1 ultimate.
Still need some gear, at this point i’m using:

• scream of the aether instead of band of eternal
  • wyrmbone hands
  • legwraps of the tranquil mind
  • wrath of the ascendant
  • sash of the immortal sage
  • wraithwalkers

I use chaos strike to gap closer.

I just have barely 8000 hp and some lack of resistances, so i need to fix that.

Then i noticed an issue in the OJ spell animation when you’re not at the same height than your foes, the tremor train doesn’t take the stairs :slight_smile: .

Build is mostly obsolete post patch.
I have a much better version now.

See my Spellbreaker guide.