Vileblade/Venomblade build can it be better?

I am after some idea’s … Not sure what I could change to make better and or find to make better… If you think I should use something please tell me, happy for suggestions.
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62akkvbZ

You are not taking the most important skills. Take a look at any nightblade build and see what you’re missing.

First and foremost, you need Murmur devotion with Rumor proc for that -30% Acid & Poison res.

Where should I drop points to pick these skill up?

Ok, any suggestions on what to remove for murmur?

Just follow this guide:

I personally helped with the build tweaking, it should be pretty good.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for some good advice! I do have a question tho, why is in most builds I see that no one use’s bloody pox? Is it that bad even with set? I have the thought at the moment that the spreading of pox over time and minus to OA is good… Great against bosses with spawning friends!
I am not against getting rid of it I just thought useing the set to the fullest would be awesome! It would seem like that was a bad idea.

Because casting spells usually bring melee builds down because it interrupts their attacks. It’s anti-synergetic. The whole Bloody Pox part of Vileblade is pretty useless. And Witch Hunters have no skill points for the main skills and sure as hell have no spare points for bloody freaking bloody pox.

Please don’t take this the wrong way @mad_lee but am I right in thinking that I should stick to 1 side or the other as far as sets go? I mean as in this set, stick to either the casting side or stick to the melee side? Not both! Both would be making a character weak? I must say thank you @mad_lee you have given me some insite and something else to think about. I must say this build of mine is working and I am getting through everything I need to at the moment… I am aware though that I could not beat any celestial with this guy… Not without either dying alot or takeing forever… This gives me another way of thinking… Thank you!

It really depends on the build, mate. But rule of thumb is to make melee build as streamlined as possible so you can focus on auto-attacking and leeching, because that’s how melee builds survive. And in general melee builds have been getting a short end of the stick in Grim Dawn since big melee nerf crusade in Ashes of Malmouth.

There are some examples of succesful hybrids, but those are more exceptions than anything.

1 Like

Thank you @mad_lee! This is the kind of information I’ve been after.
I am making alot of characters and focusing them on a set and useing skills in sets… Harra set, Kreigs set and korba atm are the only ones at 100… Otherwise I have alot of solo toons… all but oathkeeper. I was looking maybe a little too specialized.

Just look at the best builds posted here and try to learn from them. Or just copy them.

It’s ok to use Pox on VB witch hunter. Acid has lots of active devotion procs (Eyes of the Guardian, Rumor, Tainted Eruption, Revenant, Scorpion, etc.) so you probably need it anyway for proccing. What ML is saying about streamlining is all true but Pox is a spreading debuff, and it doesn’t need to be cast often. Also, VB witch hunter is played by binding ABB to left mouse, and regular melee is just a filler without an aa replacer, so dps loss from having to cast Pox once in a while is that much smaller. But if you can handle the procs without it, no need to talk it at all.

What’s not ok is dumping points in it (except in Wasting for a bit of a defensive comfort if there are points - which there never are on acid nightblades). Dmg gains are very low per point. Especially when essentials like wps, Veil of Shadow line and PB line are untaken. These are things that EVERY build takes.

1 Like

I am happy to see another point of view! People talk essentials on builds like they are playing solo builds witch none would have the balls for! Since I already have solo builds I don’t want to play more since they were very hard and required gear which took me a while to get. I understand what your talking about being when playing nightblade solo those skills are a must! But in duel classes are they still as important? Are they still needed when you have other classes teamed with it? Wouldn’t that be then a rather bad class to take if you need all those base skills? It looks to me then that if I take nightblade, the secondary class I take would only be there to help the nightblade and not work with it… I will add that playing occultist there are must skills that you should take there as well, like dreegs, BOG and COF.

When I watched the video’s of the link above it made me ask one question… Are people useing macros? I may be playing old school because I click on each skill.

Ok, for those that want to know, here is an update to my character… I only have 2 questions. 1… Did anyone know that you don’t need duel blades to use 2 weapons? And 2… if people did know why don’t anyone say it?
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/D2pErvaV
I didn’t realize that just takeing PB with breath was all that was needed to duel blade… Makes these builds alot better… And Pox is good! Not that good against Gods but great against the rest!

Yes, most people know. But you have to make sure you keep Pneumatic Burst up all the time for the skill to work whereas with just 1 point in Dual Blades you have the skill available regardless. Also there are items in the game that grant you dual wield melee as well. What you’re not getting with PB or item granted dual wield though is the extra flat, % damage and % phyiscal resistance you’re getting from maxing out dual blades.

1 Like

Thank you for the response! Most people may know but not everyone! And your right @medea_fleecestealer, I am not getting all things you mention! I will say I did think of that before I got rid of it and I remember people telling me that you don’t need a high Phyiscal resist and I was sitting at 50% at one stage there… The damage sucks to lose but I felt too squishy before that and this change helped remove that problem. I will say that I could not see a way to take murmur with out losing OA and resistances… I did however take that on another character and was a good choice. Thank you @tqFan