Waypoint Navigation Mod Idea - Help Wanted

Hello everyone, I’m interested in making a mod to make an arrow point towards the location of the active quest like this WoW mod https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/tomtom. If anyone can pitch in or point me in the right direction of how I should go about this, I would appreciate it. So far I’ve just looked into the Lua source scripts and looked at some of the quest scripts.

howdy :slight_smile:
most questrelated databases (enemies, items, npc, object etc) have a value named “makerRange”, maybe you can create a custom marker and extremly increase the range of the marker shown in the huds minimap? maybe :smiley: just cam to my mind.

Cheers

1 Like

Would that work with random spawn locations? Because some quests have several different spawn locations that are selected from each time you start up a play session. So if you end a session seeing a quest location, but haven’t cleared it yet that location may be in a different place when you go back to play that again.

1 Like

true, this could be an issue :smiley:

edit1: “maybe” if you add this marker to the questmob if there is one?

1 Like

Will be testing out the quest marker range and report back with results. Thank you for the help everyone.

1 Like

Looking at the official grim dawn modding guide pdf, mentioned in the screenshot is “quest File” and “task ID” does anyone know where to find the existing quests in the game?

After some snooping I’ve found this

The quests chosen above don’t have any marker range maybe someone could tell me why but, another boss or quest seemed to have a default marker range of 50 as shown below.
manticore_jaggedwaste_01.dbr

The quest file location for it is
quests/gdareac/sq_prideofjaggedwaste.qst
as shown in the above screenshot

Maybe if I scrape the Grim Dawn wiki for all the main quests I can easily see which ones are important…?

Testing with NPC for the very first quest: Captain John Bourbon
Screenshot shows that NPC doesn’t show up with a default markerRange of 50 notice no star ☆ is showing up for him.

Just changed the markerRange to 100

So far, can’t get the star to show up when I spawn at the starting circle. I build the john bourbon file and saved. Then I play the Main Campaign. Not sure if I’m doing this correctly.

maybe it needs a new “areaBitmap” to work? simply create one (or take any basegameone to test out), link and test again :smiley:

1 Like

You can check the last modified date of the ‘Grim Dawn/database/database.arz’ to see if it has changed when building the mod — if not, then simply selecting None does not work. Either way, you don’t really want to do it this way, since some of the base game records get overwritten by the expansions, and you are also currently missing the expansion records inside the Asset Manager — these should be in ‘mods/gdx1|2’.

I personally would simply throw them all together (first base game > gdx1 > gdx2) and build a normal mod inside the mods folder. Using the /basemods method (google) lets you still play the Main Campaign, though you should still do your testings in Custom Game until you are done (or else you have to copy stuff all the time).

Keep in mind that there is a certain limited range until an asset spawns in (I guess only the current and adjacent regions are loaded), so a quest marker therefore also only has a limited range. You could for example attach a function to onAddToWorld that shows a notification when called to gauge this range, but it would not be very far. Also, caves and such are all detached from the ‘connected’ open world and are only loaded when entering them. You might want to download the world map and check it out yourself.

2 Likes

Hollyy I got it to work somehow… might be documented somewhere else but, I believe there was miscommunication with me and the above users.

Above I miscommunicated that I wanted to play my modifications in the Main Campaign which is not what I actually wanted. I was under the impression that if I made a new mod I wouldn’t be able to modify existing game content, I thought that I would have to create only new content in my mod. What I really wanted to know was how to modify existing content in the game using my own mod.

Anyway’s as shown in the very first quest given to you my star ☆ is now showing at marker range 100.0.

This is in my own custom game mod not the Main Campaign which is totally fine, but wanted to clarify. Now that I know how to import the main games existing content and modify it, I believe I can continue working on this new Waypoint mod idea. Thank you for the responses so far from everyone, I appreciate the help.

1 Like

Let me know if their’s a better way.
Here are the Steps of how I did it:

1. Open up Asset Manager

2. Choose a mod that you made with any of the Beginner mod tutorials already out there

3. Press on Database then Import Record...

4. Find the path to the existing item that you want to modify, mine is shown in the red outline which for my case is the NPC Captain John Bourbon.

5. Now you can continue as normal and modify the item in your own mod as shown.

markerRange 100.0

1. Save it and Build your mod and Now you modified existing game content! If anyone knows a better way to do it, please let me know. This is the way I found how to do it.

I can confirm that some quest markers have limited range due to the area that is loaded in. Even if I put the max range the marker might not show due to being in a certain region or area but for now extending the marker range seems good enough for the mod I’m making. In the future I might come back to this topic and try to address it.

For now, I will only be modifying quests and bosses waypoints related to the Main Quest as my main objective for this mod. All main quests are mentioned in the Wiki.

This load distance might limit the marker ranges I’m changing. I will probably have to come back to this in the future.

Documenting for personal reference
Camera Fog Clamp Default: -1.0
Player Load Distance Default: 250

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.