Weed Level

Weeds are one of the main challenges I’ve struggled with in growing my own crops and so, I felt like I had to find a way to represent this in the game. I’ve never had as much trouble with them in other places I’ve lived and I think it is because the previous owners of this property let the garden go for years and it had turned into a field choked with weeds. In that time, millions of seeds must have been produced and fallen to the ground, lurking there as scions of evil, waiting for the day someone would again attempt a garden.

The spring following the year I cleared out the garden, I tilled the soil and planted rows of seeds. A few weeks late, I had what I would consider 100% “weed level” :grimacing:

Yes, all those tiny plants are virtually all weeds. You can barely make out the turnips I planted. I think this is because the soil is just loaded with seeds all waiting their chance to grow. Likewise, in Farthest Frontier, when you first create a crop field, it will start with a very high weed level, representing the potential for weeds to grow based on how saturated the soil is with accumulated years of seeds from the wild plants that had grown there before. So weed level is not just the state of weeds growing but also the potential for the field to grow weeds based on seed accumulation.

When your field has a high weed level, it will reduce the yield of the crops you plant. Part of the progression of Farthest Frontier is working on your fields over successive years to gradually get them into optimal growing condition, so that they produce higher yields.

Weed level can be reduced in two ways - the most immediate is “field work” which requires villagers to just spend time weeding the field. This reduces the weed level but, of course, as I know all too well, new weeds will soon appear to replace the old. So it takes successive rounds of weed control to gradually reduce weed level. Here I’ve performed “field work” on the above plot of ground.

The other way to deal with weeds, is to grow what’s called a “cover crop” which is a fast growing crop that can out-compete weeds and which can be harvested or just tilled into the soil. In Farthest Frontier, clover acts as a cover crop, both raising fertility (more on that later) and helping to reduce weeds. Different crops have more or less ability to compete against weeds. Carrots, for example, do almost nothing to inhibit weed growth and can be quickly overwhelmed if you don’t keep weeding around them. On the other hand, buckwheat is a very fast growing crop that smothers weeds. In Farthest Frontier, it is a great option for when you want to control weeds but also produce a bit of grain food.

Here is a bit of buckwheat I tried growing as an experiment the other other - as you can see, not much room for weeds to grow:

Here you can see a field in Farthest Frontier that is currently growing carrots and is at 47% weed level. Notice various clumps of weeds starting to grow up among the carrots:

14 Likes

Buckwheat FTW. Time to make make my buckwheat pancake…

sounds like some neat layers of complexity to contend with
real life making game mechanics tougher; nice to know the reason why we “suffer” :sweat_smile:

I see rockiness in that screenshot as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Only thing I’ve seen a little like this is in Children of the Nile where if the flood isn’t good then your crop yield won’t be that good either.

1 Like

0% Rockiness is definitely not New England soil, that’s for damn sure. :upside_down_face:

Looking forward to Animal Crossing: Farthest Frontier Edition.

This is what you end up with to reach 0% soil rockiness in New England…

Well, at least in Banished the creator got that right. You can clear trees and rocks to ready an area for planting/building.

Mind you, plenty of rocks for a rock garden or if you want to build a rustic looking wall around the garden. :grinning:

Oh sure, you can clear the surface rocks… but the rocks in the ground, you keep finding those for years.

plenty stuff there for some stone soup :joy:

2 Likes

i love what you guys do but idk how much I am going to love doing my day job in a video game too

:laughing:

it’s a constant battle with weeds and other plagues that live in the dirt…

1 Like

Well, that’s the beauty of it being a town-builder, you don’t do it, you just tell villagers to do it. :wink:

Really the purpose of these things is mainly to just create a dynamic where you’re “leveling up” your fields over time, so that they essentially become “more powerful” in terms of food produced per worker vs. a system where you just build a field and that’s it, it’s as good as its ever going to be.

1 Like

Levelling the field up sounds good. I’m wary of Weed Nemesis though.

5 Likes

don’t give them ideas man :scream:

Weeds have been the Nemesis ever since mankind started growing things rather than being a hunter/gatherer. :grinning:

Goats ! they’ll eat the weeds and get fat, then we can eat them :meat_on_bone: :yum:

1 Like

Yeah, but it doesn’t stop the weeds from growing back again. And if you put the goats in the crop fields they’ll eat the crops as well! :scream:

2 Likes

Loving the beans you’ve been spilling here Med :slight_smile:
I kinda hope we can get a ‘bean’ weed growing at 100% weed level soon from all the beans to be spilt :smiley:

Harvest weed to feed the cattle?

Just hope all this weeding isn’t delaying finishing off FF so it can be released Medierra. :wink:

2 Likes

Hey Med given that your experience with gardening has made it into the game, is there going to be any plauges and illness etc included in gicen the current state of the world?

While ‘lockdowns’ wouldnt have really worked, I know of an example down here back in the day, when someone got smallpox out in a small community they walled them into their house and quarrentined them that way. The sick family couldnt get out and the rest of the community had to supply tyhem with foods and firewood etc.

Be interested to know what sort of mechanics you have planned in general for illness/diseases