What are all these boxes for?!

I dont mind the tetris system so long as each item takes up only one slot. :wink:

Because DarN’s UI isn’t really that awesome, art-wise. It’s functional. The problem in F3 was that the lists were too small, the text, sometimes, too big, while there was a lot of space to expand. You were forced to scroll and scroll and scroll - during dialogs, equiping and using items, choosing perks, etc.

Pretty much the same with Oblivion. It’s there that you can say he actually made some art. But is it better, prettier? I’m not sure.

Haha, wow, I couldn’t have set myself up any better!

I think that one of the masteries/classes/whatever should be curry-based. There’s so much you can do with it (fire damage, poison damage, blind, stun, debuff, it’s all there). Hell, you could even have a skill that you cast on your pets (desicated coconut) to make them into walking bombs.

I have no objection against inventory tetris as long as it’s mindfully made. I quite enjoyed the inventory management in resident evil 4 and deus ex, but I have a hard time answering whether I liked it in diablo2 and TQ.

I also have no objection to 1x1 items across the board. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game without inv. tetris and found myself thinking “man, inventory management is really dumbed down, this sucks!”.

Let me reinstall Oblivion and Pull up some side by side comparison pics.

Edit: You’re absolutely right!

In 90% of cases its just a change to font, spacing, positioning, cleaning up the original images and upping the resolution. The effect is impressive and it makes a world of difference, but it uses damn near all of the original artwork as source.

I guess this is what happens when you don’t play a game for few years, your memory of what was and was not awesome becomes a little hazy.

I withdraw everything I have said about UI’s, chalk it up to someone remembering “The good old days” far too fondly.

My sincerest apologies, but hey… at least I was willing to go off and do the legwork for comparison pics instead of wasting someone else time. I still have them, but seeing as how this was a discussion about original artwork, and not font/layout it seems a little moot to post them.

This does give me a new appreciation for the artwork in Oblivion.

Egg on my face I tell you.

:slight_smile:

Regarding this, medierra, do you have any plans of implementing a sort of drag-box selection (like I suggested here http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224)?

Just wondering.

EDIT: I’ve never seen another game do it, and I think it’s a simple but effective way to move large amounts of items from stash to inventory or vice versa :slight_smile:

Listening to some of the constructive feedback on the forum and nonsensical whining from Rhis, I decided to reduce the size of the chest armor and boots. Boots were just 2x3 so both sides would be somewhat symmetrical, so no real loss there. The torso armor I think will suffer a bit visually as the long overcoat pieces might end up looking kind of small. However, I think it is for the greater good and satisfies the original goal I had of normalizing equipment sizes so there were more ways to fit stuff together.

Here is rev2 of the char screen with a little aesthetic enhancement as well (or dehancement if you don’t like it).

While it may look somewhat generic, or, I prefer the term, utilitarian :wink: I think one reason for that is that it is currently empty. It feels much more Grim-Dawnesque in-game with the character model in the center and will with items. Since we’re packing in 4 extra item slots and a lot of additional inventory space into the same size UI screen as TQ, there just isn’t that much room for decorative art.

You added depth and shadow, the rust and blood splatter, the extra beading to give all the lines a more 3d effect.

It looks really good, the whole thing now “pops” a lot more. I will say The blood is a little shiny, it drawn the eye to the center.

Were it not for the bloods lighter colored splatter, or were the blood cut back a little near the center point, then the decay would be more uniform and the eye would follow a more even line.

As an example:

Now the eye follows evenly down the image because its not weighted towards the middle cross so much.

Also, thank you for letting is see the creative process. Its really neat to see how you guys are evolving your ideas. The added detail to take two of the UI’s really does add an amazing amount of character.

Edit: Fixed the garish white background for the text to be more forum friendly

The only difference I can tell is that the dividing line between the inventory & the rag doll bit has shifted up a bit so that the two boxes are now below the line rather than above it.

Easier to see the difference side by side.

The bevil is given two beads instead of one, each of the connection points has been made more ornate. Shadow has been added. Rust and Blood Splatter has been added. X has been made more or an orange red rather than a dark red.

As a result the whole thing “pops” more. Its really a marked difference.

This is like a spot the difference puzzle!

Looking good, will you be making a thinner border around the inventory area?
Also seems you need to rinse off your work area more often as some of the blood is getting on your templates.

Well, maybe certain people’s eyes will flow to the X and then they’ll get back to playing faster instead of sitting around town forever looking at their loot in multiplayer games (subshape). :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahah, Im guilty of that myself.

“No, give me just a few more minutes, Im trying to see if this sword is better than the one I have now, you go Ill catch up.”

Its looking really nice btw.

Thumbs up, guys! Looking very nice indeed. :cool:

LOL. I soooo know the feeling of waiting around for loot-watchers and gold-collectors… soooo annoying lol

I just want it confirmed that there will be a “pocketwatch” slot…

I think you’d want a nice half-huntsman for monster slaying.

Nice update, thanks! I’m not sure what to change, if I can think of anything I’ll mention it. Standardization of the tetris style inventory, for all items, is all I can think of so far.

I just gotta say: HOORAY FOR BELTS!