What keep you still playing GD?

I don’t understand. I have 400hours and nothing to do more. No resets, no online experience like seasons and stuff like this. What keep u still playing Grim Dawn? Again, and over again with another build?

Yes, this game is best suited for players that like to make a lot of builds / replay the game multiple times.

This game has seasons (not official but super high official-like quality)
https://www.grimdawnleague.com/#/

1 Like

Not interested in resets, seasons, ladders, etc. Not my sort of game.

I’m an altoholic, always making new builds and rarely get out of Normal before I start another one. :grava_yes:

6 Likes

Tons of build options
Good looking items
Big content updates for free
Huge content updates with expansions
Mods

8 Likes

I like ssf leveling experience in GD. I just make fresh install from time to time and the jurney begins again :slight_smile:
Sometimes I finish softcore, then starting hardcore… Rinse repeat.
It takes around 150h to polish first char from empty stash so… It is still fun and entertaining for me. There are so many char and builds combinations that works, that’s cool!
When I am bored then I quit for summer or so, but I was always coming back for some reason.
I was wondering sometimes why people play D2 to this day and I believe they just have fun leveling and finding the loot all over again :slight_smile: Just like me in GD…

3 Likes

Same. Alts lots of alts. Mods. Great community. I play other games but always come back. I feel Gd offers the best of arpgs.

With over 500 hours and constantly switching between normal game, Dawn of Masteries and Reign of Terror I feel like I just tipped my toe with this game.

And because I’m sure that I’ll spend at least 1000 hours more in this game in the future, 400 hours is a small amount.

Mods, mods, mods! :smiley:

I grew up on ARPGs like Diablo 1 and 2. Where there was no endgame. I also didn’t have internet at home for a large majority of my time with those games, so ladder and seasons were not a thing. What was there to do? You make new builds, you enjoy levelling them through the game’s difficult content, see if they measure up. When you’re done with one, you come up with another. Not because “oh, well, there’s nothing else to do”. But because that’s what you’re playing for. There’s plenty of things in the game you’re interested in trying and you wanna see if they work.

That style of playing has accompanied me in all ARPGs ever since. I couldn’t give a toss about ladder resets. In fact when I was playing PoE, I was playing Standard league when seasons are supposed to be the big attraction of PoE. And even then I was pissed off about resets erasing my hard-earned progress, because GGG were rebalancing the Atlas and wiping my hard-earned map completion every few patches. I could not be less interested in ladder if I tried. And while, unlike D1 and 2 Grim Dawn does have an actual endgame, that’s just what I use to determine if the build I made was good enough (mainly because in GD the levelling process isn’t as difficult as it was in D2). I keep playing because GD has by far the best build variety and self-found experience of any ARPG I’ve ever played. I have over 6k hours in the game and I haven’t done half the builds I’m interested in trying. And I haven’t done 1/10th of the builds possible in the game.

2 Likes

… Habit?

Like a warm blanket heh

I discovered Titan Quest wayyyy late (2013). Along with the titanquest.net forums (RIP!)… Which lead me here.

I bought into GD Early Access back in late 2014 and have been playing ever since.

Part of the game’s longevity for me has obviously been the mod scene (“super-mods” like Grimarillion & Dawn of Masteries in particular). Not to mention the awesome community we’ve built and all the familiar faces from the TitanQuest.net days :sunglasses:

Coming up with new memey builds and farming for phat lootz.

I’m at ~1000 Hours on Grim Dawn and for me it still feels like i’m scratching on the surface. There is so much content and indepth build mechanics to do and i like the varied way to enjoy it. Often Games with Endgame focus on one single thing to do, which in itself isn’t a bad thing but imagine you don’t like the specific Endgame, than it could ruin the game for you. GD offers quite a lot - of an interesting world to run where you can do your own farming routes, bossruns - esp. nemesis and superbosses, up to two different modes with crucible and sr. So there is a lot of potential for loothunting, testing and finalize your builds and simply enjoy the combat.

The other thing is that it really motivates to start over new characters, because leveling is fun and itemization is good. Like as much love i also have for Diablo 3 for some aspects of the Games, unlike Diablo 2 it really killed my motivation and mood to start over new characters, because leveling is boring and doesn’t even make much sense after the first character of each class, because you don’t have any skilltree to play with, to try builds and such. It’s a super linear boring unlock everything at the same pace all the time. Combat and tinkering around with runes might still be fun, for sure, but the character-levelprocess itself isn’t really interesting. And Itemization is a problem esp. in the regard of Smartloot. Yeah i know some people might know get angry over this and shake their head, i know we had quite some people in the past asking for Smartloot in GD, but for me it kinda ruined longlivety of the game. If the most loot you get is tinkered around what you play, it kinda devalues it of how handholding (shoving it up your *ss) without really working it, but even more it don’t encourages you to start over new characters to try a different build because you got an item which gives you an idea for it. GD gives you quite some interesting loot where you get the itch: Now i want to try this… now i want to try this… so the alting in GD is huge and also part of the Endgame-Gameplayloop.

Because after almost 300 hours only yesterday I decided it was about time to stopping fear the Warden Krieg and… It tooke me less than 20 minutes to do so. I thought I’d be heading to Malmouth – quite the reason I started playing the game – but I must face Darius which seems not as fearful as it seems. I really fear the hideous Salazar. Anyway, despite personal opinion I can’t see anything better out there which is not either expensive or doesn’t fit my sys requirements or even expensive it’s not good enough some games are quite diabolical expensive and far from being a good game like 3 or 4 times baD. LOL.

They gave us, also, the opportunity to leave the bliding sunlinght letting us to choose the main page background.

I play Hades, AoF II, Iratus – the only and main rivals I’ve got to play something with the time I’ve got – but even after after doing the first act without completing it It’s never enough.

I wish illusionist could provide more femine outfit.

Why could you ask that? Anything you no longer about the game or else?

1 Like