What recent engine changes?

https://screenshots.firefox.com/tja2HpQ6ntnC0f4U/www.grimdawn.com

Us nerds want to know :stuck_out_tongue:

Performance improvements due to something (?) about DirectX and the porting to xbox. I’m sure there is a three months old thread on the public forum describing this better than I do.

I hope so, even with a decent CPU at 4.7ghz and a 980ti, I have to lower settings and still drop below 60fps in the big fights.

Even so, medierra has said they are not sure how much it will improve on specific users’ machines.

Part of the engine changes were for the XBox One port.

I’m not sure on this as medierra’s post above indicates no other changes will be made; so maybe for the Illusions system and/or the skill modifiers for the new high level legendaries.

See the Grim Dawn Expansion Development News for more info on the expansion (if you haven’t already), specifically the last FAQ on the new features for the expansion.

Damn, so I take it none of these changes include crafting from our banks :cry:

You already can craft with materials from your stash.

There’s only so much Crate Entertainment can do to improve the Iron Lore engine they licensed to make Grim Dawn. They have stated that with a sequel they’d use a much newer engine.

That’d be great, these guys are so sick at making ARPG’s imagine what they could do with a new engine.

Better yet it wasn’t all that long ago (medierra I think) said they would also more than likely cannibalize a lot of the code for GD to put in that new engine and game. Which I am absolutely all for.

As for the topic of your thread… kinda looking like you will have to wait until next Misadventure to find out “exactly” what Zantai meant (or maybe next stream?). If he hasn’t answered by now the chances that he intends to diminish more and more every hour and unfortunately we can’t go there until he does :frowning:

Dx11 support.
20-50% better fps than current engine. (xantai on stream)
My guess is that Min fps and drops will improve which is the key improvement IMO.

the problem was not fps but gpu usage. When i see a fps decrease gpu usage is around %37!!!. No problem in other games. gtx 6 gb 1060

If you see low gpu usage and low fps, the bottleneck is your cpu. If the engine changes manage to reduce the cpu load either outright or by pushing more computations onto the gpu you will benefit from them in your scenario (which probably is the most common one for GD)

No problem in cpu because it is not %100 either. My Cpu is i7 6700 which 8 years younger than engine so problem is game engine :wink:

I am not saying it is not an engine problem. I assume one core is maxed when your fps drop, so even if other cores are available and the overall cpu is not at 100% for all cores it still is the limiting factor for your fps.

I neither the cpu nor the gpu were maxed in some form (ie the one core of the cpu which handles most of the GD load), you would have higher fps. The engine cannot cause the cpu or gpu to idle and waste fps that way.

Yes it does. When i say “the problem is engine”, it also includes “engine fails to utilize available resources while other games do.” Logic is simple; in other games, gpu load/usage increases in very particle, action moments instead of fps decrease while gpu usage stays the same as in GD.

Anyway, i hope i will see an increase in xpac since Zantai mentioned that…

15 year old engine modified dx9 its amazing it works as well it does.
dx11 modification be better mainly for min fps.
which counts most IMO

Not sure you understand what Mamba was saying but he is correct. The issue is that the game is not fully utilizing additional cores on your CPU. Your GPU is probably at 37% because that is all that is needed to run the game, based on how fast it can perform given CPU limitations.

The problem with the engine is that it was created at a time when multi-core processors were not commonly in use and so it was mainly designed to run on a single core.

Over time, we’ve improved multi-threading and spread more of the processing tasks to other cores but it is a challenging and time-consuming task to do that to a pre-existing code base and still a significant share of the load remains on one core.

The next upgrade though will address one of the biggest issues, which is the old renderer. Rhis has totally re-written the renderer from scratch. Where the renderer bogs down the CPU is on collecting all the assets in the scene to be rendered. Until the CPU can do that faster, it limits the work the GPU needs to do.

How much frame rate increase you see will depend on your system. Unfortunately, it seems to be a bigger gain for higher end systems but, so far, everyone has reported pretty good gains. For me it was about a 20fps increase and I think everyone has reported at least 10fps.

Wow, that is great news. You guys do great work! I look forward to experiencing it myself.

No it does not. The logic actually is different from what you describe…

Assuming you do not limit your fps via eg vsync, the fps will be limited by either how many fps your cpu or you gpu can handle, whichever is smaller.

That is pretty much the definition of cpu / gpu being maxed, it cannot produce a higher fps. The cpu or the gpu limits this, nothing else can (given the same engine, different engines can obviously have different results)

Now if you limit the fps, then while you still have resources available, the cpu / gpu utilization will increase to keep the fps stable until it no longer can / is maxed out. At that point your fps will decrease. This is true for all engines, the engine ‘only’ affects when this happens, not what happens.

With the GD engine not being particularly good at distributing load over multiple cores, your cpu becomes the bottleneck while your gpu could churn out higher fps, as I said.

Now Crate really has two options to improve this

• find a way to better distribute computations across cores
  • reduce the overall cpu computations needed by e.g. pushing more of them onto the gpu or having a more efficient algorithm on the cpu

With switching to DX11 I assume it is more the latter than the former, but that is speculation

The support for DX11 isn’t as significant as the creation of a new multi-threaded, better optimized renderer. We still have to support DX9 and people running that will still see a decent boost in fps, with a little more for DX11.