What's the latest on Crate's town builder game? Now entitled Farthest Frontier

Very excited for this project, Not big on this kind of game but anything crate makes is a instant buy for me.

1 Like

Another new screenshot on the FB page.

13 Likes

Skewsound making sounds. :grava_yes:

2 Likes

Just shared in the FF discord:

Acreal Today at 21:34

Sit down my children, and I shall tell you the tale of my favorite bug from Farthest Frontier development: In the early days of the (Farthest) Frontier, children existed but were not gifted with much intelligence, and most of their existence revolved around guarding them from failure cases. It was during one such failure case that I happened upon this particular bug, and it caught me quite off guard. You see, when children were first added to a home, they were not intended to leave it until they had grown a bit, so a temporary solution was put in place to cover the (at the time, unlikely) event that a child was displaced from their home. Well, sometime later, as I was testing an unrelated change, I destroyed a house and was horrified to see that the children that had lived there were now lying dead in the snow. It seems the ‘temporary solution’ was to trigger a death event.

5 Likes

Hot from the discord.

Acreal Today at 19:45

Alright folks, I got permission from the big ‘M’ to finally spill some of these beans.

There’s been a lot of questions about what the combat in the game entails, so I’ll provide a few details here

There are various threats you may or may not be dealing with whilst establishing your settlement. Namely, wildlife, bandits, and rival armies.

However, that doesn’t mean that everything just wants to walk in and hit buildings until you see ‘Game Over’. Wildlife, while being a source of food, are also a nuisance, and can eat your crops and rummage through your food stuffs.

Bandits may want to destroy you, but they may also want to break in and steal supplies, or weapons, or just cause havoc.

As such, the layout of your settlement can have a big impact on how successful these various assaults can be on you.

The ‘optional’ part comes in with customization for starting a game. Some/all of these elements can be disabled if you want to have a more relaxing, construction/layout focused experience.

devloek Today at 19:55

“rival armies”, does that mean you can have an army as well and attack/raid your rivals?

Acreal Today at 20:00

Not in the sense that you are creating a variety of units with different strengths/weaknesses. This isn’t an RTS, afterall. It’s more like a village militia.

6 Likes

what if the rival armies are just meant to camp on the far edge of your village, demanding for you to pay your tribute within several minutes of game time (or else…). its kinda like caesar 3 where caesar’s army waits on the edge of map until you clear all your debts/raise your favor to him up to a decent level. failing that, caesar’s army will proceed to destroy everything that you hold dear and fires you.

and for some reason i want to see the beasts/bandits/rival armies attack each other if they crossed paths. this update give me a stronghold series vibe.

mass spam of Nightsoil collectors defense setup, that will teach them to stay away :laughing:

farthest frontier nightblade militias: nightsoilers

1 Like

i`am lost .

You must be in Albuquerque. :smile:

1 Like

The game is not even released yet, but I hope someone in the future gonna mod it to represent Orkoid settlement life, from a squig, gretchin, then orks.

1 Like

Probably not really what you were after Arivus, but you should check out Hinterland. Its a short town builder rpg hybird whos expansion adds an orc faction to play as :slight_smile: Made by Tilted Mil back in the day. I’d say iots at least 10years old now though

its hard to make a town builder game/mod centered on warhammer 40k orks. since those orks fights everyone and between themselves almost all the time. and their currency is their teeth which can rot. not to mention that there’s a lot of different ork clans (genetic groupings) within each ork tribes. you also need powerful pc to simulate the HUGE number of orks if you want it to be an accurate ork settlement builder. last but not least, if some ork warboss (or your warboss) calls for a WAAAGH!!!, expect your nice ork settlement to suffer huge population drops due to orks not caring about war casualties.

though it’d be nice to have farthest frontier offer some bandit camp gameplay or offer mod capability to do that. iirc the guild series allows you to play medieval families through various professions, including banditry.

One of my biggest wishes for banished was town defenses and the threat of attacks from humans, and me wanting to attack and raid other settlements etc. Same for frostpunk where I hoped there would be some sort of mechanized warmachines, and that you could send groups to attack and raid other settlements - and them you ofc.

I’m really happy to see this being a feature in this city builder. If only just for the being raided and attacked by humans part. While games like Age of Empires, Red Alert, Warcraft and Starcraft had base building… sort of a light version of city building but being primarily focused on war. I’ve always wanted a game that is this but opposite, where the main focus is city/base building - and war/raids is in the back seat.

Although I loved banished… ultimately it lacked proper depth and complexity. So hoping this one will be a bit more advanced.

I have no idea how this one will turn out but I’m really excited for it. As a somewhat hardcore gamer I just hope that the potential to fail will be high.

2 Likes

in my teenage days i myself was a fan of those war rts (age of empires, starcraft, rise of nations etc). but in recent years i found them unfulfilling for part of my soul that yearns for games about building/rebuilding/watching them grow rather than destroying/competing for bigger numbers.

many empire building 4x games sure fit my wish above. but they often lack the real time urgency/realism that is presented in rts games. big plus if farthest frontier can have lots of buttons thats related to making policies for your town.

2 Likes

While I love Age of Empires II and always will, I understand what you guys are saying. I too feel the needs for an RTS that isn’t about build orders and attacking all the time. I sometimes want to relax when I play games; and the RTS genre doesn’t have many games that allow you to do that. Northgard is pretty good for this actually, but from the looks of the few pictures released for FF; I’m pretty stoked and can’t wait.

1 Like

Hey guys i am BIG fan of Grim dawn and cant wait for the townbuilder game.I know it will be ready when its ready but still half of the year already passed. Any chance that we could get some update? Like release date for December? Or maybe Fall of 2021? :slight_smile:

31st december is technically still 2021 :grin:

1 Like

At the farthest frontier of the year. :smile:

1 Like

The devs will update when they have something to update.

Otherwise the current update is nothing to update. :wink: