Whats with the negative damage number on weapons?

I’m new to Grim Dawn and haven’t been able to find an answer to this question anywhere.

What is with the negative (and occasionally positive) DPS numbers for equipping particular weapons?

There doesn’t seem to be any logic to them and I can’t for the life of me figure out why they are there at all.

I believe it’s the same issue as this: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51446

The DPS is calculated with whatever skill you have in the LMB slot. So when it shows up negative damage in a weapon, it means in theory you’ll do less damage with that weapon.

The DPS tooltip is actually not a good way to see how strong your character is. I have several characters with low DPS in the tooltip and yet, they kill just as fast if not faster than some other characters with much higher DPS in the tooltip.

The negative damage number is in comparison to the weapon you are current using, not the actual dps of the weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

It beats me why they don’t just say “+/- % DPS compared to currently equipped weapon”.