Why are there no mounted/cavalry enemies & allies in grim dawn?

its acceptable that the taken can’t have any mounts (horse/sandclaw & such).

but its weird that there’s no mounted/cavalry units throughout the game, either enemies or allies. all horses we’ve seen in grim dawn are dead and swarmed with eternal locust+locustbuzz.mp3.

however, in case crate change their mind, i expect that we’ll see cavalry units like these:
1.black legion knights riding horses
2.aetherial death knights/mages riding abominable monstrosity made from corpses of cows & horses (& professional cart pullers)
3.cronley’s gun-toting cowboys riding horses (yeehaw!)
4.bloodsworn doom apostles riding void chompers
5.rhowari rangers/shamans riding deers/briarthorns (watch the spines!)
6.homestead farmers riding tamed dermapterans (they also wear complex hazmat gears with makeshift pesticide throwers)
7.grobles & dranghouls riding horses/briarthorns (again, watch the thorns!)
8.arkovian undead knights riding undead horses (watch out for fast tq- i mean gd skellies!)
9.death’s vigil death knights riding undead horses
10.kymon’s chosen seraphims riding holy blessed horses
11.trogs riding rift crawlers
12.c’hthonian ryloks riding chompers (if the rylok is a pleb) or bloodkeepers (if the rylok is a ch’thole)
13.ugdenbog coven witches riding basilisk because basilisk ragdolls are kyoot but petrifying. for emo witches, they ride chilly ghost crabs
14.barrowholm cannibals riding on wendigos but sometimes the wendigos rides on them because all that cannibali philosophy about to survive is to kill weaker beings.
15.hi tech malmouth aetherial nobles ride on aetherial colossus because they’re faster than tq skellies who wins olympic everyday.
16.everybody in fg dlc (whether they’re 3 witch gods cultists or korvaak cultists or giant fat korvan rageflame dudes/(dudettes?)) rides sandclaws/korvan beetles/gryphons/eldricth hounds/basilisks because fg dlc has soooo many kyoot mountable animals!!!
17.morgoneth’s yugol cultists rides on yugol’s tentacles. now feel yugol’s emptyness in your heart when you hear the word ‘tentacle’

if there’s any factions i forgot to mention, please correct me, and suggest what kind of mounted units they’ll have.

I haven’t seen a single horse corpse in the game, while there are plenty cow corpses. I think it’s safe to assume horses do not exist in Cairn. :rofl:

Edit: in all seriousness most likely answer is because they are pain in the ass to animate.

Not sure what you mean by Crate changing their mind. They’ve made it clear that such things would require new animations which are pretty expensive. Certainly wouldn’t be happening for this game. Whether they’d consider something like that for a GD2 down the line only they know.

You missed them then. I think e.g. there is one right after the DC Bridge leading to act2.

Even before that. This one is just past the Foggy Bank riftgate.

1. Riding Briathorns??? Bro don’t let Maya sees that. :smile:

If there’s opportunity to ride something, it should be dragons and yes I know there are no dragons in Cairn.

Sandclaw ridings for Yoshi’s flashback.

2 Likes

Everybody riding something sounds like World of Warcraft to me.

1 Like

Here’s another in the Flooded Passage

So they are around quite a lot really.

i think there’s enough dead horse corpses around cairn (especially around aetherial territories). so medea have displayed enough photos showing and beating dead horses corpses (no pun intended). as stupid_dragon & medea said, animation could be the main problem for why there’s no cavalry units at all in gd. but what’s even weird is that there’s no lore notes or conversation tidbits that said anything about cavalry units or monsters riding rideable monsters.

about horses, have we ever seen a single living horse in gd? cmiiw. all the horses are dead in grim dawn (???). titan quest as spiritual predecessor could become comparison, since there are humanoid monsters riding boars/hyenas/wolves in there.

or maybe all mountable animals in gd have ascended to the stars. there’s a lot of mountable animal constellations.

i wanna see some bosses riding sandclaws or gryphons. or even basilisks. they’d make great ragdoll moments.

Maybe they had plans…
But mounted bosses and enemies sounds cool.
I think that the best thing is when monsters are working together, like ones with a shield are trying to cover range and mages. Some little ones can mount a big if they will be near. It is even cooler than cowboys xD But it is logical when I am thinking about that. Maybe they didn’t want to kill animals in their game? :upside_down_face:
@Res in the future 5 years ARPG will be really big

There are some stationary horses in TQ, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a live one in GD. As you said they’re all dead. It could just be that the inhabitants of Cairn never invented riding.

that’s possible. like the aztecs and mesoamerican tribes irl. but thats more because they don’t know about horses.

maybe crossbows, gunpowders, and magics distract cairn’s denizens from the pursuit of horseriding technology.

The only game I have more hours in than GD is Mount and Blade Warband. A husband and wife team from Turkey made a game that is an absolute dream for mounted combat. You start out as a lowly nothing, gradually assemble a band of soldiers and end up, if you play it right, a King of the World. The combat is very fluid, hundreds on the screen, archers, cavalry, infantry, assemble them however you prefer. I always chose mounted horse archer for my character, others prefer lancer. Tons of mods too. It’s consistently one of the heaviest played games on Steam, has a new expansion I haven’t tried yet.

New thread idea: post all the horses people can find in the game.

Camels don’t count.

1 Like

On the trip to south(?) lore note it was noted that Horse = extra/emergency food for the refugees and many people in Cairn is in disarray, so it make sense that Horse population are getting less and less each day.

On a side note, I count the Amalgamation as a horse, he got his own stable there in the farm.

There are more cow corpses than horse ones so maybe there were cow riders in Cairn :thinking:

1 Like

ah! i’ve missed that one. true, with food getting scarcer everyday, people certainly will be forced to eat their horses/cattles. we haven’t seen any cow/chicken farm too in gd. maybe because the cattles are vulnerable to aetherial corruption? i think this is also why messenger with horses aren’t seen anywhere. even in black legion encampments. i think the aetherial corruption’s danger to horses are why people prefer to walk everywhere in cairn. oh yeah. riftgates are probably the number1 reason cavalry aren’t used anymore.

amalgamations are theodin marcel’s creations. he combines all kinds of creatures to make up the bulk of their bodies. so cows and horses are probably endangered because of that too.

we need cow constellation. now.

oh wait. we already got the bull. nevermind.

i guess food scarcity and riftgates answered the thread’s main question.

A very alive horse near a person who is definitely not a clone of John Bourbon.

that rotten horse on the right looks super dead. i can hear its ‘locust swarm.mp3’ buzzing already.