Why can't Time Dilation be assigned to Devastation?

In my sorcerer build I save Devastation (and item-granted Apocalypse) for heroes and bosses, while using Time Dilation for temporary damage boost, so it makes perfect sense for me to assign Time Dilation to either one, but the game allows neither. This issue is actually such a hassle because I don’t want to incidentally refresh all my short-cooldown skills 10 second before facing a tanky hero mob, or add another skill and another button just to trigger Time Dilation.

At first I thought that this might be related to cooldowns: Crate want Time Dilation to be efficiently used or something, like it can be assigned to a 8s-CD Callidor’s Wrath (from Callidor’s Regalia Set) but not a 9s-CD Anasteria’s Devastation (from Outcast’s Secret Helm). But then I found Eye of Dominion, which grants a 25s-CD skill which Time Dilation can be assigned to!

Now this confuses me so much. It seems like the only attack skills that cannot trigger Time Dilation are Devastation and Devastation-like ones. Can anyone kindly explain to me if it’s intended, and why? Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S. I found another thread here talking about the same issue, but there’s no reply.

PURELY SPECULATIVE ANSWER

Devastation as it is is currently coded as a buff. You’ll see it over your buff bar for the duration of the cast. When an aggressive (on-attack, on-crit, on-kill, etc.) Celestial Power is assigned to a buff, anything you do that meets the trigger criteria while the buff is active will proc the Celestial Power. So if you activated Devastation and then Aether Ray’d something else, your Aether Ray and your Devastation would both have independent opportunities to proc Time Dilation if it was assigned to Devastation. My guess is that they don’t want this performance for a CD reset, which is an immensely powerful proc.

It’d take a dev to confirm or deny the exact reasoning, but that’s my guess and it aligns with why you don’t see such aggresive criteria with being on other buffs.

I doubt if it is true. Devastation can be bound to many other celestial powers. I just did a test and bound it to Arcane Bomb, it triggers normally, but when I cast Devastation elsewhere and spam Callidor’s Tempest on a mob pack during its on-time the Arcane Bomb is never triggered.

Idk what exactly your setup is, but taking calladors tempest and the transmutor 1 point is a great way to control when you use the CD reset from TD

Yeah, I’ve been using skills like War Cry and Siphon Souls to trigger Time Dilation all the time.
But this time I’m a OFF sorcerer that uses Devastation, Apocalypse, Thermite Mine and Mortar Trap on bosses: None of these above can proc Time Dilation.

I used OFF to proc TD on my fire AAR + OFF builds. It was actually good at proccing it. But thay may be because of the mageslayer set.

I’m not using Mageslayer or any source of reduced freeze duration reduction, just want to use it to clear trash mobs. So I think it won’t proc on many heroes and most bosses.

No, in this case it won’t.