Why do always items drop for other chars, not the one i am currently playing..

Maybe it is a secret mechanism by Crate to make us play other builds he?

Edit

What about the mastery range? Since there are more than one damage types in one mastery , just RNG could roll an item that is range of damage types that mastery offers. So when playing conjurer RNG could drop either one of lightning stuff, pet stuff, poison/acid stuff, vitality stuff, chaos stuff, bleeding and psyhical stuff etc. And we can limit this to only legendaries, for blues old formula could be applied.

you should kneel before RNG before it’s too late :stuck_out_tongue: only then your chracters will find loot for themselves (and you also will stop seeing endless duplicates like it should be the case now)

Because there are more characters than one, so you know, probabilities…

Bacause:

1. RNG Gods mock us

2. It’s not D3

Don’t worry. Drops are good enough that you get good stuff.

I would do more than “kneeling” for RNG God if you know what i mean :rolleyes::eek:

Hi superduperuberfluff friend. I always like your responses so far in the forums =). But about drops “being good enough” thing, you are semi-correct. Yes they MAY be enough to finish main content but not for sides. There are some guys on the forum that played the game for 1500+ hours and did not complete quarter of the sets.

Except for Mad Queen and Sentinel drops.

This Topic was talked out quite often already. A lot of Peoples, mostly Casuals, came up with some ideas, i think Diablo 3 Smartloot is the most popular idea, howevery they wouln’t work for Grim Dawn. Smartloot works for Diablo 3, due the limited way to build your Character. Each class have specific roles and specific stats they need, so it’s pretty easy/logic to implement such a thing like Smartloot. I mean obviously there are Sets etc for certain Builds, however it differs from Grim Dawn:

If you play Shaman as example, you have a lot of possibilitys how you want to build him. Maybe an Two-handed Meele focused on Physical Damage, or generally as elementalist, or want to use him for his Summons?! So in the End you DECIDE how you build your Character and which role he take, and with the Role you want, it change the focus on certain Attributes. I mean as example, for an Meele-Damage Focus Build, spirit doesn’t make that much sense as focus-attribute, however Cunning much more. As Elementalist Spirit is much needed so yeah.

Suma Sumarum:
It simply wouldn’t work for Grim Dawn. This is the downside of the freedom to build your Char how you want.

What about the mastery range? Since there are more than one damage types in one mastery , just RNG could roll an item that is range of damage types that mastery offers. So when playing conjurer RNG could drop either one of lightning stuff, pet stuff, poison/acid stuff, vitality stuff, chaos stuff, bleeding and psyhical stuff etc. And we can limit this to only legendaries, for blues old formula could be applied.

There obviously is always some way to determine some items that a build does not want, but translating that to an algorithm is not necessarily easy. You would have to completely change the current logic if you wanted ‘smart loot’ instead.

Not really worth it. Farm a bit more, trade, play different chars so you have more drops and use for a wider range of them.

Totally random drops, that may be or may be not useful for your current build, would be less of a problem if GD provided more opportunities to make better use of unwanted epics and legendaries through crafting/gambling/trading (other than tedious dismantling). Currently this aspect of the game is handled very poorly.

Hi

I know it’s frustrating not getting what you need. GD is hard at first. I’ve been playing since March around 2-3 hrs a day with life and resonsabilities on the side and i have almost all the legendaries and so many duplicates that i throw them out at this point. And yes sets are hard. The more items you get the harder it is to get that last one. A week ago i git Ulzuin’s FlameSpreader and Shoulders in the Same BOC run, even though I already had them and in the past I looked for them hard…I still don’t have the helm recipie for it. That’s rng for you

My advice is to make a strong character that is not too gear dependent like the very popular Withchblade for example, and farm Crucible on challenger difficulty. You get ~3-4 legendaries per run. Until then you can do some Cronley runs in ultimate. elite Fabius gives lots of recipies.

This is so true. The game clearly wants me to play either a summoner class or a pierce BM as those appear to be the majority of legendary’s that drop for me.

I would love it if Badge of Mastery had a smart crafting feature where the skill bonuses would always match the classes of the character doing the crafting.

With that said I’ve had several lucky drops where a purple dropped which was perfect for that exact character build. But I’ve had many, many more which were completely irrelevant. It’s just a crapshoot.

Sometimes i kinda like it… When I check my chest and see i already have 3-4 items for another build/class i’ll just make a new class. Trying out new classes/builds keeps the game alive for me. Starting from nothing on every new char would be kinda demoralizing.

Yes it is good thing but would be better if it were not always

IMHO quest rewards should have a substantially higher probability to match your current build than random drops. This would not only compensate frustration from many random drops, it would also make much more sense.

Just imagine some NPC wants you to do something for him. After a long and dangerous trip you return to him and he says “Thank you very much! I see you’re a strong fighter with heavy armor and powerful swords, so as a reward for all your efforts, I’ll give you this … CASTER AMULET!” I admit that quests in ARPGs may not be as important as they are in RPGs, but honestly, this feels just totally boneheaded.

Chosen masteries and skills should give the game enough data to determine some rewards that at least have a good chance to be useful for your character, so it should make use of this - not always, but occasionally, and quest rewards would be the perfect occasion for this. In addition, there’s absolutely no need to use fixed rewards. Why not simply make the quest giver offer you three possible rewards to choose from?

IMO a smart ARPG should mix random with not-so-random loot throughout the game. At any time the player should feel like playing a game, not like constantly fighting some giant RNG. There are many ways to do this, and relying too much on totally random drops is lazy design and just frustrating for anyone not planning to play a dozen builds and spend several thousand hours with a game.

it isn’t always, just mostly :wink: That however is obvious since there are more masteries and damage types you are not using than ones there are, so all things being equal you get more items you will sell than ones you consider using