Why is Byscilla in the AoM loading screen?

Something that has bugged me a bit since finishing AoM campaign. I thought this obviously evil lady would be the endboss, but it’s the Fleshshaper Theodin. She had nothing to do with the story in the AoM expansion. So why is she on the loading screen as an evil flesh shaper? And then appears as an ally in FG? Anyone know why?

On the loading screen, at least to me, she is a possessed arcanist/Malmouth noble, though I don’t know why she is holding a skull. Devs made her a Bysmiel cult leader, because people liked her so it’s cool to have her in game. Leaders of Dreeg and Solael cults look SO different compared to her, she just doesn’t fit the given role in my opinion. Well, she looks like a mommy/seductress type character, so that works well with the lore of Bysmiel seducing Ulzuin and betraying Korvaak, something like that.
Should have just put Scorv on the AoM loading screen. :scorv:

2 Likes

i think crate had plans to include her or even all the witch gods to appear in AoM. but they scrapped it for some reason. thus byscilla is just there, probably to promote the nexromancer class which was released together winth inquisitor around the time AoM was released.

though the story subtly implies that byscilla and the other 2 witch gods helped the malmouth resistance against the aetherials with their own ways. the 3 witch gods are almost involved with everything happening in cairn since their ascendancy. capricious lot they are, according to moggy moggy (mogdrogen)

1 Like

Well we didn’t know who she was until Forgotten Gods or the streams before release :wink:. At the time, a lot of people were guessing and coming up with ideas or theories so I assume she was intended to foreshadow what was coming up and to keep people in suspense. Crate has a history of doing that quite a bit. I want to say they did the same with Riggs as well during the same time period but can’t quite remember.

If it’s intended or not, someone else also spotted the below glyph in Malmouth and cross-referenced it with some of the Witch God glyphs in the Conclave of the Three and they come out similar so perhaps it’s hinting at that too:

Malmouth Glyph

Edit: Not the best picture but seems like it matches the Emissary’s glyph. I guess the Cult and him in particular do get around quite a bit.

Emissary

emissary

1 Like

Eye candy? It’s a great pic

You’re overthinking it. To me she’s always been an anonymous witch from the Coven.
I guess later :crate: decided to make her into a character in FG either due to fan pressure or because they had art for her lying around.

1 Like

we have an anonymous occultist dude already in vanilla. if we follow that pattern, that means rigg should have been an anonymous buff shirtless desert swordshield dude in FG. but he just introduce himself to us plainly in FG.
i’m still wondering who is the anonymous occultust dude in vanilla loading screen. its more likely he’s an imaginary character used by crate to promote grim’s dawn’s… grim theme…
kinda like the anonymous greek warrior dude from titan quest game cover & load screen.

1 Like

Side note here: Byscilla =Bysmiel, same for the other 2 guys, right? All got similar names and vanish after Korvaaks death. The emissionary merely stutters when asked about it.

1 Like

Yes, they seem to be the avatars of the Witch Gods.

2 Likes

That’s the implications I’ve gathered about it - and it seems to be what most everyone else thinks as well.

2 Likes

Well, Byscilla herself says that “she will be aware of every of your actions so don’t bother reporting to her”. Sounds like the Great Schemer =)

As for Occultist guy, someone had a version of him being Bolvar, which could work if not for the fact that in-game Bolvar uses the repeater as his weapon. But I mean we can make our character to look like him and have a Raven, so… =)

1 Like

The occultist guy is… an occultist with random gear pieces. Plays a pet build too, because he has a birb!

1 Like

Bloodsworn guy that spawned with some blue items.

What issue?

Pretty sure the occultist guy on the loading screen is Victor Vran.