Wind Devils

Perhaps GoE need a slight nerf, then? OK’s introduction to FG has similarities to when Inquis was introduced to AoM – a bit much above the other classes. The comparison to WD is always OK GoE, so I’ll assume that NB is in a good spot.

Inquis has seen some tuning, as has OK. OK might need a bit more in GoE, even if it has seen a tiny bit already.

Why? It has relatively good RR and that is bad? It is still no aura around you like Veil of Shadow or Spectral Binding or Aura of Censure.

Honestly, even if RR auras like Night’s Chill or Censure are the gold standard, I’d prefer if all RR skills are not as easy or “braindead” (as I’m struggling to think of a better word) to apply as they are.

I don’t play ARPGs for skills to be cast for me, I can tolerate it in a few places but if it’s everywhere, where’s the point? I suppose the crux of the problem here is finding a middle-ground for Wind Devil between the group of players that want/enjoy an active playstyle and those that do not.

Well, WD,GoE, and other pets have some advantages wrt devotion bindings. Specific targets, # attacks, etc vs aura ticks. Also, 2 GoE, for example, can at times have a similar radius to the auras if well spaced.

Auras only require awareness of the radius, though.

There is a pretty massive gap between that gold standard and Wind Devil for the RR function. One can be placed on the second hotbar as a toggle buff, and the other consumes two buttons on your active hotbar (both requiring regular presses to fulfil the RR function).

Why such a big gap to perform such a staple function? I think the average person would bear with the hindrance but consider this to be irritating.

If devils can at least behave on par with Guardians I would not have any complaint, but as it is pet attack needs to be pressed quite a bit more often.

2 Likes

Because homogeneity is the enemy of variety.

I’ve already cleared this up. There’s a number of different playstyles and ways to apply RR that appeal to different people. You insist on forcing what you like on this skill when even you yourself have pointed out that other playstyles exist.

Please add Pet Scaled Pets and pet bonuses to all masteries so that we can use those RR instead of relying on Wind Devil, ty :stuck_out_tongue:

Not Wind Devil. Some devotions that binded to WD(without maelstrom) require to spamming pet attack button to proc it often as it should. Like Eye of Korvaak. On the other hand WD can easily proc elemental storm as fast as it can. And have you tried shifting sands or eye of korvaak with GoE? It’s better than binding your main attack skill lol. Using WD is much more disadvantaged than GoE.

Blade Spirits and the Oathkeeper spirits are extremely similar in concept to Wind Devil, the latter was made permanent within recent memory and the latter were permanent to begin with. I don’t know why you’re making such a flagrantly bad faith take on the OP when it clearly hasn’t been a problem for you before.

The skill was redesigned as it never found a suitable niche with its previous setup. Different masteries, different gear, different purpose.

I have no idea what that even means in this context.

He basically said “recasting this pseudo pet thing every 5 seconds is annoying and puts me off using the skill” and you act like he’s complaining about ever having to cast anything at all. It was a hyperbolic response to a pretty cogent and calmly stated thought.

Incidentally I am curious as to what niche you’re intending for Wind Devils. The current implementation would make sense for something like the Corpse Fiend, where they have on-death effects that justify and even encourage tossing them out as fast as you can throw them, but Wind Devils don’t have that. They just…drift around in a really passive way until they expire.

2 Likes

I personally never used pet attack button on Devils. Yes passive aura is the best way to apply RR but don’t forget Devils can deal some great amounts of damage and Maelstrom is separate skill, which can apply DoT damage. Devils are completely different animal.

I agree if you use them purely for RR, QoL isn’t high but there different skill, which have it’s perks as well. And actually in early game Devils applied only flat RR, later was made into - % .

Wow, someone really re-hashed an old suggestion.

I’m surprised by Zentai’s cold reaction/opinion to player feedback & responses.

The idea of needing to spam a skill out of combat, to engage at full strength, feels more like micromanagement. That does not enhance fluid play. Just like dealing with the constant cast animation and shuddering effect of maintaining the skill between combats.

The skill itself lags in use, its lack luster in the cast, so why is there so much focus on it? Just because it got redesigned, does not mean it’s a quality solution, or that more can come of it.

If using an auto-cast toggle macro is the only way to use the skill with minimal inputs, perhaps it warrants a re-look into it.

1 Like

The 1st Devil is permanent but if you’d like more of them you need to actively use the skill :balance_scale:

make CoF permanent aura

1 Like

While I think there were some great ideas posted you still have to remember that those are just ideas. You should not have the expectation that your ideas will be implemented. I am sure they think about it. But in the end its Crates game so they decide.

Also I think Zantai made a very important statement.

I think there are a lot of games that made all their skills or classes more and more similar to one another. Probably makes it a lot easier to balance and also those games become more accessible. But the depths and variety are one of those things we love about Grim Dawn, are they not?

1 Like

Once again, the point I made earlier is being completely glossed over and taken as a “cold reaction”.

I perfectly understand that some here do not like Wind Devils and wish to push their preferences upon the skill. My point was, and still is, that everybody is making the same argument: that casting the skill is mandatory to “engage at full strength”, which is for various reasons “not fun” to you.

My point stands that any skill that’s part of your rotation to do damage is “mandatory” and I brought up very similar abilities that are spammed or cast on short cooldown to do full damage because, um, they are your sources of damage. If you are not casting your core abilities, you’re not doing damage, that’s common sense. Wind Devils are a core of the Shaman skillset and thus part of the rotation.

Wind Devils are very versatile in that they can be repositioned unlike many abilities that remain where you cast them until the cooldown is up and you can put them somewhere else (ex. Sigil and Devastation). I get that some don’t like that degree of micromanagement, but that is one of their features and advantages. On top of that, Wind Devils already last nearly 3x their cooldown (that ratio goes up with any cooldown reduction which realistically most builds using Wind Devils will have).

Some of you do not like this form of play, and that is perfectly fine, but that is not justification for a redesign or cramming in 10 transmuters on every skill until everybody has the playstyle they like on every ability.

I’ve already pointed out, and ironically several of you in here have pointed out, abilities that work the way you want, so playstyles you enjoy clearly exist within the game.

If Malawiglenn gets what he wants then I want Devouring Swarm full-screen nova.

3 Likes

Lol.

Other skills that are fun to dream about: 18 meter radius to Apothecary’s Touch granted skill.

1 Like

I don’t mind Wind Devils that much but I would like to see them get at least more movement speed if there is to be no permanency.

On the other hand the worst RR skill in the whole game by far is the Devouring Swarm. And that really needs to be redisgned before the game is finished. I would suggest to make it like Bloody Pox. In current state I refuse to use this skill and play builds that need it.

1 Like