WPS animation time

After noticing that my Belgothian’s shears seemed to have a very long and sluggish animation time compared to the others (DW reaper), I googled it and found some old posts about this. That WPS can actually decrease DPS. Link to Reddit post

I was just wondering if anything has changed since then. Currently playing a DW reaper so thankfully I have other WPS procs to replace it. But as of now Belgothian’s shears seems like it could become a liability later on. The animation timer for shears seems like it could become an AdCTH liability on ultimate if it doesn’t improve.

I tested by just holding shift and attacking air in town for a few minutes and I’m not imagining it, the shears have a long animation - which could potentially leave one vulnerable no?

Maybe I’m overthinking it but I’d like some thoughts on this if anyone has any info on it.

Yes; there are some problems about some WPS animations. Belgothian Shears is one of them but it doesn’t always lead you to dps loss but it may cause vulnerability among group enemies.

As far as I understand from patch notes; there will be some changes on 2H WPS animations; DW ones might also get improved.

What I can suggest you is; calculate value of the WPS by it’s AoE, Single Target Damage, Skill Points Requirement, conversion and Modifiers. When ithey’re invested all WPS provide damage increase even though your attack speed decreases. But some animations seem to get hit by fps drops due to crowd in the room.

If you don’t have proper AoE, then Belgo Shears provide 3 targets which is better than nothing; so invest it. If you have other WPS and no mod/conversion on Belgo; just skip it etc.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll work it out :slight_smile:

Feels like I’m spamming the forum with how many posts I’m making lately so I’ll just include another question here if you or anyone else here know the answer to it.

I know dots from different sources stack, but that dots that use WPN% damage don’t stack (highest applies). How does that affect a shadowstrike character which is also using dreeg’s evil eye? Do I have to avoid taking blood burst or is it simply nulled? I’m also slightly confused on the transmuter for dreeg’s evil eye. Does the 135% total damage also affect the wpn%? If so is that calculated 135% of 35 = 47% wpn damage to blood burst now? Or does the transmuter total damage not account wpn damage? >.<

What? Where did you read it? It makes no sense to me that these two don’t stack because they have weapon damage.

Yes, total damage is total damage but I haven’t tested those things and I cannot say I’m 100% certain especially that it’s on the 2nd node. Just test it quickly. Check if your different than Acid / Vitality DEE’s damage (that you might get from some weapon or skills) shown in character sheet increases when selecting the transmuter

I read several places that weapon damage counts as ONE SOURCE of damage over time. But maybe I misunderstood this. I’ve been rethinking it… So weapon damage added to abilities which does not deal damage WITH a weapon, still stacks independently with a weapon attack skill? So in the case of shadow strike, you deal that damage with your weapon. So dots from say, attacking with WPS like execute - or another skill that uses weapons like RF, do not apply each their dot (only the strongest).

The confusion for me stemmed from reading many comments that weapon damage attack dots don’t stack. So to be sure I got it right this time - since dreeg’s evil eye is an ability that does not deal damage with a weapon, the %wpn damage added to the skill still applies a seperate dot?

Sorry if my thoughts appear clumsy, I’m not a native English speaker.

I’ve never seen such comments so feel free to link those. Maybe I don’t get it.

Where does this “ability not dealing damage with weapon” even come from? I’ve never read anything like it (except maybe if a skill scales with casting or attack speed). Either an ability has Weapon Damage or not. Does it matter if you hit with your weapon or not? :thinking:

I’m neither and it’s often difficult for me to put my thoughts on the screen and I usually rewrite everything multiple times.

Btw I’ll now try to make some research because you’ve made me a confusion.

1 Like

@Ouroboros It’s seem YOU are right. Check the section on DoTs. I didn’t know it.

Now back to your question using the information I’ve just learnt.

You don’t have to avoid using Shadow Strike and DEE’s together because they both have skill dots (not Weapon Damage dots) and those do stack without any losses:

• Poison on DEE and Blood Burst

• Poison on Nidalla’s Justifiable Ends

• possibly also converted Nightfall dots
  • maybe some skill modifiers dots to those skills

What you’re losing here is just relatively small (comparing to SS massive Weapon Damage at least) amount of flat Poison from Weapon Damage on DEE because Shadow Strike’s Weapon Damage Poison overshadows it.

If in doubt, Malawiglenn it out.

2 Likes

Thank you! Much appreciated that you took the time to check this out. So only the wpn% on blood burst which is small anyway is lost, got it.

1 Like