Your Thoughts on Corona Virus Impacts upon Video Game Industry?

how are you guys keeping up? do u have more time to play grim dawn now?

Now that nearly the entire planet is asked to work from home whenever possible, there are more opportunities for…breaks…involving home gaming PCs.

the infected countries around the world have strongly suggest/enforce people to work/study from home at this moment. its officially a major health crisis upon the world right now (with global economic crisis foreshadowing the aftermath).

while its true that many games online/offline have seen increase in number of players due to the epidemic, its entirely another thing with video game companies/publisher. work & community conferences on many games will be slowed/stopped due to quarantine/curfew/health concerns. i say that like any other industries/commerce, video game industry will suffer greatly from this epidemic.

stay safe out there people. follow your government’s instructions properly to avoid/prevent the spread of coronacovid19. look out for the health of yourself, your loved ones, and people around you.

like the survivors of cairn’s grim dawn, we will survive this.

We will ask the Black legions for help! Or at least some cook :man_shrugging:

But yes, be safe out there and hopefully situation will normalize.

1 Like

uh… i think kasparov once mentioned that he takes some rat from edwin’s kitchen for his experiment. not sure if edwin/ulgrim’s soup are safe. especially edwin’s specialty: rock soup.

the most reliable food in grim dawn is ‘food ration’. it tastes like dirt, but keeps you going. its far better than the ‘vital essence’ from fallen enemies (you vampire!) or… ‘untouched meal’ (why the taken can eat them without getting sick is just derpy).

1 Like

since Crate staff pretty much have been working alone and been practicing self and safe quarantining inside the four corners of their rooms for years, we will always get continued grim dawn updates and nothing will stop Zantai in pushing MOAR content despite these turbulent times… no pandemic nor any sort of pestilence can bring Cairn down…

Looking forward to the online Cratecon soon and the reveal of town builder.

1 Like

for those who are in quarantine/lockdown, how are you all doing?
me myself and family is doing fine with the country isolation here in indonesia. but the situation is still uncertain.
there’s this creeping feeling that its gonna get worse. things like daily goods supply chain to cities being disrupted for a long time and resulting in mass protests… or quarantine going longer because the virus is still persisting in some major areas…
i shrug it off subconsciously, because keeping cool head and morales up in these time is the only choice.

I live in Japan.
At present, the number of infected people has been announced less than other G7 countries, but since the Olympic postponement has been officially decided, I think that the number of infected people announced in the future will increase more and more You.
In fact, government announcements have increased the number of patients with unknown routes of transmission in Tokyo and several other major cities.
It was announced that the cruise liner’s coronavirus survived 17 days after all passengers got off. It was also announced that people working at Amazon’s warehouse were infected.
The government is afraid of medical collapse and panic, and I think there is still a lot of undisclosed information.
Hygiene supplies are scarce, but fortunately the majority of the population does not have excessive panic.
What ordinary citizens can do is very limited. I wish everyone’s all safety and health.

2 Likes

It’s a sad situation with the upcoming delays but the publishers/developers who already released great games might get a little boost in profits since many people have to stay at home - and those people may buy some games that they didn’t buy before. Or had no interest/time to invest in.

Basically, from what I have read, Nintendo consoles have been stripped from most retail stores. It’s difficult to find them in the USA, in many locations. It’s all the parents buying them for their kids to do something while stuck at home.

Basically…

Short-term scenario = good for some.
Long-term scenario = not good for anyone.

1 Like

1 positive aspect about this virus is that now the whole world got busy fighting it together, instead of hurting each other. forcing every nations to rethink their agendas for the betterness of the world.
i wish this harsh lesson will stay persistently in everyone’s mind after the situation is cleared up. hopefully we all will survive through the virus and the quarantines.

1 Like

I am afraid that the relaxed attitude of some major countries in the Western hemisphere (USA, Mexico, Brasil) is going to result in a disaster a few weeks from now. I really hope I’m wrong.

Nothing short of a major military lockdown will solve this crisis, until a cure or vaccine is available. Better to start with it sooner than later.

this website monitor the total active cases for corona/covid19.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdUOA?Si

what happened in usa?
how did it reached +700k victims?
i can’t imagine the situation there.
hearing the news about it makes me more afraid to see/hear any news about the virus.

I’m not going to go into much detail because it would turn into a rant. I work for a non-profit, 500+ bed hospital as a CSPT on 3rd (I’m in a rotation with another pharmacy technician, working every other week) and it’s been incredibly hard to keep up.

The area I live went from 0 to well over 900 cases in about a month and it’s primarily due to a lack of education, people behaving irresponsibly or ignorance (to the point it’s borderline insane). Our nation has had a massive spread due to spring breakers, unnecessary travel, ridiculous protests and everything else–it’s basically pushed us into a situation where I’m sure we’ll exceed our previous record of unemployment during the Great Depression (24.9%) and it’s probable we’ll see around 200,000 deaths when it’s all said and done. It’s horribly depressing.

It does not seem like a lot of people really understand what it happening. It probably won’t sink in until they’re cut off of unemployment when the federal Care Act funds out and realize they no longer have a job.

In my opinion, one of the biggest failures our nation has made is perpetuating this idea the virus only harms or kills the elderly. It’s true they’re especially susceptible to it but so are people with underlying health issues like heart disease, pacemakers, transplant recipients…

I know a nurse that works at a hospital in Madison, Wisconsin and was intubated (it’s standard operating procedure for all COVID ICU patients–you don’t really have a choice) because she received a kidney transplant from when she was younger. Thankfully, she recovered but the preliminary estimate on her hospital bill is supposedly around $120,000. She has no idea what her responsibility will be once insurance pays but I have a very hard time believing every insurance company will be paying the bulk of the charges on everyone’s bills. It’s probably going to end up being something like 60/40 or best case scenario, 80/20, which would still leave her with $24,000 she owes (which comes out to $400 per month for 5 years). It’s possible (probable, even) the hospital will waive it for her as a work related hazard but most people won’t have that option.

The reality is, even she may not have that option. Despite how it may seem or people may think, many hospitals are actually reducing staff and having employees take voluntary furloughs because they’ve canceled their elective surgeries and are pushing back on a lot of non-emergency care.

I’m attempting to be optimistic but I have a feeling many people are going to be facing some severe financial hardship in the coming years and because so many people will have a lot less discretionary income, the video game industry is going to be in a world of hurt.

1 Like

for what it’s worth, you and your fellow healthcare workers have my sympathy.

this epidemic harms everyone around the world with no discrepancy. though at least it makes us all cherish the smaller things in our daily life that we often ignored.

Anyone have seen this? I knew it was only a matter of time before someone made this, but I didn’n expect anyone would release it that quickly.

1 Like

Video of it already.

1 Like

Nice. I play video games to escape from reality, not to jump back right in. I’ll pass.

these games are more like educational programs rather than games. we play them to educate ourselves rather than having fun replaying it for pleasure.
some are also like that. walking simulator museum games, games that focuses on beautiful environment for virtual vacation, games that focuses on philosophy and arts.
video games are sometimes not video games. they can be a medium for art/education.