Youtube's Done a Stupid - Now Not Even Ads Play

So, if you’re unlucky enough to live somewhere google’s rolling out anti-adblocker bs for youtube, you’ll have seen the dreaded Anti-Adblock screen pop up should you dare to use one. There’s been a variety of means to bypass this, but usually clearing out Firefox’s cache/cookies and checking uBlockOrigin’s filters to make sure they’re up to date has worked well. So well I didn’t have to do a purge for nearly a week.

Cue today, stuff plays fine via the embedded player, but even disabling Ublock and NoScript now not even the ads will play. While video’s are stuck permanently loading. Which is highly amusing given youtube wants me to suffer through their ads.

Truly an excellent self-own by their programmers lawl. And by tomorrow or Monday uBlockOrigin will have found a fix too

Also - it’s not hyperbole, my worsened ADHD makes their shitty ads more annoying than anything I’ve seen in the horrors of public TV here in NZ, like the Harvey Norman ads before they got hit with the nerf-hammer over volume boosting them. Doesn’t help either they’re usually utterly irrelevant despite everything google has on me :person_shrugging:

use the brave browser

Fuck no.

And it doesn’t take much to see why Brave should be avoided at all fucking costs. Besides, if Mozilla Foundation looses the plot, Firefox is mostly Open Source and there’s a healthy range of forks to choose from.

1 Like

I get the notification about adblocker so turn it off for a while. I dont’ really mind them putting ads at the start of a video, but when they then interrupt it around 5 minutes in for yet another one … adblocker goes back on again until I see the notification again. :laughing:

It’s like they’re determined to make the viewing experience more aggravating than ever before! I’ve had my fair share of battles with those pesky anti-adblocker measures, and it’s infuriating when even disabling everything doesn’t solve the issue. And can we talk about the relevance of those ads? Seriously, it’s like they’re not even trying to cater to our interests anymore. I’ve found myself longing for the days of the Harvey Norman ads—now that’s saying something! Also, thanks for the tip about checking out youtube automation channel. It sounds intriguing, and I’ll definitely look into it. Cheers for sharing your experiences, folks!