Zelda: BOTW

I was skeptical at first about this game.

But Honestly, it is probably three times the size of Skyrim with SO much to do, and DLC coming.

It truly is a 10/10. I was a bit annoyed at weapons breaking at first, but it’s designed to be that way, and as you advance, the weapons you find are not only HUGE in variety and function, but they last much longer.

It’s deep, has amazing voice acting and cutscenes, a real sense of achievement when you accomplish a very difficult puzzle/shrine/dungeon, and the amount of secrets and hidden locations is mind boggling. If anything, I should take away a half a point because of how overwhelming it all is, but it really doesn’t hold your hand at all. The only tips you get in the game are on loading screen dialogue.

The graphics are great, the combat is great, and the puzzles are difficult: this is the first time in a Zelda game where I have been frustrated at not being able to figure something out and had to come back to it later after suddenly a light goes on in my head after discovering a new mechanic.

I am having a BLAST on this game and I can’t put it down. I’ve been playing for days on end, as often as I can manage, and I have only JUST beaten the first “dungeon.” There are so many more to go…

I’m taking my Switch with me to Australia when I go on vacation, and I am so glad I will have this game to play as I make that 34 hour flight.

“It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this!”

It looks pretty fun, I’d get it if I had a switch but I have no interest in a switch. I haven’t touched my Wii in years, so I feel like I’d be wasting my money especially since I’m not a die hard nintendo or zelda fan.

I don’t want to hear that filthy devil talk come out of your mouth ever again! :stuck_out_tongue:

So it looks like I’ll be a bit late to the party on this one, but needless to say if I had the game I’d probably be playing it right now.

Welcome to the club :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually as The Legend of Zelda Fan(boy) it shouldn’t be surprising, but for me BotW is an Masterpiece, which you don’t met often. And i mean it. I myself was surprised about this whole 10 out of 10 Reviews, and even i thought they overexaggerate, but after over 200 playtime. God damn. I played a lot of Games the last Years, we had some amazing Games like Witcher 3 - but, except the Performance for me BotW is really nearly perfect and they set a new treshold for the TLoZ Franchise. It might not be as innotive as Ocarina of Time, but the Changes and Stepup is quite in the same league.

I almost never buy brand new games but I bought into the hype for this one and shelled out the $50 for it, thinking it would take me back to my nostalagic days as a kid playing OoT. Felt a bit silly afterwards realizing there’s no way it could be that good as I hoped… Then I played it. Holy crap. Definitely one of the best games I have ever played, it just does everything so well. It draws you into this massive world and makes you want to keep exploring. Makes me almost not regret purchasing a wii-u a few years back.

After that lenghty replies during the playthrough of Andromeda I thought about doing the same here. Today cut the tie and bought a switch + Zelda breath of the wild. Lots of friends told me it solves a lot of open world design issues. People in general say it is a great game.

I personally have 0 affinity with Zelda. Never really got into them and have no expectations whatsoever. Lets see what this game has to offer though :slight_smile:

=================

So far only completed the tutorial landmass which took a bout 5-6 hours. I explored a lot, wasted 2,5 hours hunting a boar for their meat. It looks atmospheric, but not as crisp as I had hoped for a modern console. At times it even looks washed out on my IPS 1080p monitor. Lightning is reasonable and lack of voice overs with typical weird noises when npc’s talk require me to get back to the olden days of console gaming.

I started feeling somewhat impressed with the freedom you get. Can climb, dive, swim, float whatever and whereever. Haven’t felt anxious with a quest log or map being filled by random stuff. It is quite a peaceful experience in which I’m actually exploring instead of working off a checklist of chores.

Combat is fairly simplistic at the moment. Find a weapon and just swing it. Combo’s are created by pressing the attack button several times in a row. You can lock onto an opponent and strafe around them, wait for certain animations and reply accordingly. I also loved stealthing about and sneaking up on opponents for critical hits or taking out tower guards before they could warn others.

Breaking weapons is annoying in the sense that you have to switch to a new weapon mid combat when you might be standing in a compromising position. This is dreadfully done. Wonder how this will change over time. For now I tried avoiding combat since it doesn’t give much loot rewards compared to breaking a weapon again. On one hand I like how a game doesn’t just expect you to go on a blind massacre, other hand its also annoying. I try to gather weapons as much as possible, but then you get “inventory is full” quite regularly.

I do like that several encounters are setup in a way that you can explore and find a different way to deal with the encounter. You can find boulders further ahead which you can push down and watch it crush the enemies. Depending on the skills obtained through the shrines done you might aquire the bomb early and letting you throw it to explode barrels. which in turn kill opponents. It is nice that you can try different methods other then head on encounters. I expect this to play a larger role later on.

At one point I placed my massive club in a nearby campfire with the idea to throw it on top of exploding barrels to take otu a tower guard. When running towards the toward I traversed a field with high grass…which caught fire and kill myself hehe. Or killing skeletons at night and obtaining their hands as weapons…which then lets me bitchslap and spank opponents to death. I like that sort of details.

When going through the tutorial shrines the game does explain well how the skill works. So you can get it working and it’ll be interesting to see how they will incorporate this later on in the game.

Certain things are not explained well at all. Once you need to go to the snowy mountain for the fourth shrine the game expects you to have found a way to remain warm. Finding a torch and light it is not as easy as you think. The quest for a warm piece of clothing is found in a note/side quest which I expect a fair amount of people to skip. Let alone figure out how to make the recipe with the missing ingredient without using googlemancy. This is a make or break point of the game. Getting fish is easy, getting peppers is easy…hunting boars for 3 hours straight and them running away and de-spawning on the other hand is not okay and frustrating. I hunted boars for the past 2 hours and still haven’t gotten any. Alternate way to progress up the mountain is also very frustrating. IF you made it in that region you can either take the boat or run across the shore and try to cross a broken bridge further ahead. Problem is that you have to jump over very narrow poles in the freezing water… Not an easy task at all. Resulting you to fall in the water sooner or later. If you didn’t get the vest due to bad luck on hunting the boar…then you’re pretty much instantly dead. This is not done well meaning plenty of people can, understandably, put the game down before evening finishing the first area.

The controls, especially in regards to the menu’s, are awkward and at times annoyingly setup.

For now I’ve been enjoying most of what the game had to offer. Would be a shame to run into another frustrating situation, because then I’ll just put the game down forever. At this point it is getting a mere adequate as result…7/10 score.

Having few weeks off from work is nice. Besides the 120+ hours in Grim Dawn during the past two weeks I still have time for other games. That is…untill my gf gets back from her vacation abroad.

Played some more BotW and I got introduced to some new elements. Only made it to the first village where you speak with the elderly lady. That alone took me around 30hours of game time. This shows that there is plenty to do in this world. The game however doesn’t really explain much which is nice, to a degree. No hand holding and figuring stuff out is nice. For example in the cold mountain area of the tutorial area you have to pay attention to a detail…which I originally didn’t see. It wasn’t untill I went through all skills, ending with the magnetic, that nearby objects lit up. That’s how I found a chest in the water as well as a woodcutters axe stuck in a tree. When cutting down the trees they float into the water to form a bridge across. This is a nice puzzle. Some solutions are fresh and interesting while others are borderline frustrating since they expect you to use a skill that hasn’t been used in ages.

I’ve also spend a fair amount of time on the internet to look stuff up…since the game doesn’t tell you about it. Found out neat stuff like how to glide down a hill on your shield, most useful cooking recipes and tips on how to make money. You don’t get a lot of currency if you don’t put in the work. And you need the rubies to buy the new armors.

For me I have no other Zelda game to really compare it with, but understand many complaints by die-hard fans. To me BotW is nothing spectacular. It has some interesting elements, but overall it is just a casual relaxing explorative experience to unwind. It takes away a lot of stress and that is nice. I can spend hours hunting in some Forrest without feeling anxious about completing the checklist of objectives.

That is also why the repetition so far doesn’t get to me as much as most others. When going from one settlement to the next you basically try to stop to grab a tower and as many shrines along the way. Towers…seriously…is this a Ubisoft game? The shrines however are small and provide, more often the not, interesting interpretation of mechanics to create interesting puzzles. However some are weird and clunky…such as having to rotate the controllers to move platforms in 3d and then having to press the accept button…when your hands are all twisted… If you want to “progress” your character by getting extra “hearts” and “Stamina” it is required to get them. Without stamina development it’ll only get harder to swim/climb/fly properly.

And the true repetition, so far, of dealing with the same tons of tribal groups of little beasties or skeletons does get old. The little incentive to clear the group in order to get the lootchest with, usually pointless, items doesn’t help either. In general I find the statistical / skill aspect of character development rather lacking. The shrines are therefore more a means to break up the repetition of dealing with the same fights with a puzzle element… Turning the shrines into the only checklist item that “has” to be done.

Bloodmoon is a nice narrative way to explain why, and when, the stuff you killed respawns. In all honesty I couldn’t care less at this point. I dread having to think about dealing with the same little encampments again. Hopefully this will get better later on.

The durability of weapons has become less of an issue as well. I can clear several packs before needing to switch. By then you often found a dozen more to replace it with. It is absurd how much “loot” you don’t pick up in this game. Either its not interesting or you lack inventory space. So I was happy to meet that dancing tree spirit which allowed me to use seeds in order to obtain more weapon inventory slots. With that I’m starting a diversity of weapons for different occasions. Even though you don’t switch as often anymore… I still am trying to figure out what the purpose of this design choice is. So far it doesn’t seem to add anything, doesn’t seem to intertwine with any fundamental elements… And in that case its just pointless. When something is pointless its annoying. So lets hope there is some meaning to it all.

I tamed a few horses and rode those around, gathered resources and hunted in the woods. Met some guys with a silly simplistic riddle that led me across some bridges past a stream of water to a bandits treasure. So far there are tons of secrets and hidden areas to find. Overall it is nice and relaxing. Bit clunky here and there. It does indeed have a different approach to general open world game design issues, which is nice. Other then that its nothing really special otherwise.

If I were to grade it after 40-50hours in I’d say…a 7 or 8 out of 10.