[1.0.2.1] Aether Spellbinder - Triple devastation for the win!

Aether Spellbinder - Triple devastation for the win!

Like someone of you might noticed, lately, I play around with so called triple devastation setup builds, or in other words builds that as main attack use Devastation, Anasteria devastation and Meteor shower.

I already have few setups of this build kind like sorcerer, spelbreaker, druid, tho only sorcerer is updated and adjusted to AOM expansion.

Before updating others I decided to make Spelbinder first cuz it uses new class combo and I really wanted to try out necro, so here it goes:

Crucible w/o buffs and banners

Why spellbinder?

I wanted to make aether devastation build even earlier, thing that was stooping me and was somewhat crucial in earlier testing was lack of aether resistance reduction. Necromancer offers exactly that trough spectral biding/spectral wrath, with addition of siphon souls which is great spell for sustain trough life leach. Inquisitor could be really god choice also and is worth testing in combo with arcanist but for now, until tested, I give necro slight advantage.

Concept of the build:

Like mentioned earlier build uses devastation, anasteria devastation and meteor shower as main attack, coupled with siphon souls (sustain/OA shread), ravenous earth (arcane bomb procer/enemy dmg shread), gaze of beronath skill from amulet (OA shred/flame torrent procer, I didnt want to use it on seal of blades due to incoming nerfs) and spear of heaven.

To amplify the dmg of our CD based spells build stack as much CDR as it can get. High CDR is also very important for our defenses, mainly mirror cuz we want it on low CD, but it also affects other defenses like giants blood proc.

To further amplify the dmg we are trying to convert as much fire dmg to more preferable aether as we can. In order to achieve that this build uses:

1. Decree of Aldrich (equipped on build has 50% elemental to aether)
  2. Diviners raiment (29% elemental to aether)
  3. Mythical cord of violent decay (26% fire to aether)

You can try with some other conversion gear combo, personally I find this to be the best one.

50%+29%+26% = 105% Someone would say that we are converting all fire dmg to aether but due to, in advanced mechanic unexplained thing, but better cleared in this tread build is converting only about 85% of fire dmg to aether.

Picture of the build, devastation on RMB, with constant auras and judic signet proc up:

Grimm tools: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/1NXlnOgN

Game play:

Chaos strike in the group of mobs, cast siphon, gaze of beronath, ravenous earth, devastation (only if there is some boss or high HP hero) and watch them die from bombardment. Use mirror when needed ie in case you are facing nemessis or in higher waves of crucible, in rest of situation you wont need it.

What can you do with this build?

Finish crucible w/o buffs and banners, finish main campaign, kill all nemesis.

In closing

Triple devastation approach till now showed great versatility and potential, it can be applied with great success on so many class combos. This is just one of them.
Comparing this to triple devastation sorcerer setup, this setup dishes more direct dmg but its not so strong on dot dmg like sorcerer. Due to more direct dmg this setup has slightly better clear speed, but its less tankier although you only miss blast shield, flashbang/searing light combo in final crucible ways and when facing guys like Kupa, in other situation you dont even notice the difference.

Have fun :slight_smile:

Piece out!

Reserved just in case.

Death from above! :cool:
Yay, even more devastation with Herald of Apocalypse amy.
Btw you can convert all ele dmg to aether with Magelord rings set. Too bad they have awfull drop rate.

nice one ! with such build in crucible no doubt the computer stays busy :rolleyes:
whats the cd on devastation btw?

Something like that, you feel like heavy bomber :slight_smile:

I didnt wanted to lose justice set, cuz on top of other things, it has excellent synergy in applying rr with spear of heavens.

Better him than you :wink:

With 17% CDR off hand 7.1 s CD on devastation, so with eternity proc is basically 6.1s or in some cases 5.1s.

lol yeah ok pretty much non stop meteors :cool:

I am using nearly this exact same set up (I had not been using chaos strike, but I love closers, so I may give it a try now, thanks!) and have been loving it. Well, almost the exact same set up, since I still need to get some of these pieces of gear.

I was gonna write something up myself, but I just got to ultimate and need to finish seeing how it performs. Glad to see others having success with it, so it should be smooth sailing for me.

Kinda expected you to post this since you asked about the conversion thing in the other thread :smiley:

Good build as always

One more nice build)
Any reason to use Aleks pants instead of Wraithborne Legwraps?? Just you had it and they give all this nice bonuses?? :smiley:

So that’s why you can’t get 100% fire to aether conevrsion. Was also wondering about that earlier when I played a similar build.

Also, very nice build! Attempted the same thing on a sorc but felt lacking in damage even with maxed transmuted CT. One question, is maxing Decay worth it? The debuff only lasts for 1 second, the points seem better spent on Foul Eruption for flat RR stronger than Decree.

edit: what’s that illusion on the shoulders? looks great.

Thx :slight_smile:

Not really, pants, boots, gloves, shoulders pick to your liking. I took these ones cuz I wanted to go trough cruci w/o buffs and banners so gave a bit more emphasis on takines (DA, phys resistance and flat HP).
Allagast’s Mantle is also good option you can get 1% extra CDR with 2 points addition to star pact.

Screen Candy Rating:

If you are going with sorc is better to concentrate on fire/burn.

It last for one second but CD on that spell with all CDR you have is 1.7 secs, and in some situations (when eternity procs) only 0.7 s.
Like I mentioned in upper post I gave more emphasis on tankines cuz wanted to finish cruci w/o buffs and banners, you can allocate those points where ever you think its more suitable.

Edit: Shoulders are from diviner set

Thx :slight_smile:

I tried to do this build with the full Diviner set and the Mythical Aethereach in order to spam Reap Spirit and Devastation. I was very disappointed with the Reap Spirit performance. The whole build just felt like a weaker version of a Doom Bolt/Devastation Clairvoyant Warlock.

Reap spirit is a little overrated for non-pet builds imo, I see some people using it in theorycrafting but at the end of the day it does still scale with pet bonuses correct?

Btw, full diviner would mean your aether damage would’ve been converted to cold damage through off hand, so that might’ve also caused drop in performance, not to mention increase in target area (not sure if the extra projectile makes up for this though)

Initially I had few points in reap spirit, also wasn’t satisfied with performances.
Full diviner set is bit awkward to me, instead of buffing it actually weakens devastation (conversion fire to cold, expanding the area). Also w/o anasteria helm you lose so much, anasteria devastation is by far strongest item proc in game.

Shimmering Splendor begs to differ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It’s the fire damage that will be converted to cold, so it’s fine.

The Reap Spirit tooltip says “The wraith scales with pet bonuses”, so I assumed that the weapon damage portion of the skill scaled off of player bonuses. I don’t think that’s an incorrect assumption, since I would get upwards of 100K crits with it when all debuffs were up, but unfortunately that’s not very frequent and the whole skill feels pretty underwhelming.

The Diviner offhand converts fire to cold, not aether.

The expanded area is actually offset very well by the extra projectile, which actually doubles the amount of meteors that come down. Devastation actually feels very good with the set, but losing Outcast’s Secret and a Terrnox Tome really hurts the viability of the build.