[1.0.2.1]Elementalist - with the greatest power comes with great responsibilities

Update: PLEASE GET AS MUCH DA AS POSSIBLE. DA IS SOOOOO HUGE ON ANY CASTER. Don’t just focus on OA because we all love seeing those crits xD

Update: I dropped Reckless Tempest and picked up Arcane Bomb and Aether Fire… I think this is probably the most proc build one can make at this point.

You might look at my title and sneer:“huh? Greatest power? I doubt this build is gonna be more powerful than X build.”

And most likely you’re right. There are so many builds out there that once you acquire the BiS gears, nothing can stand in your way. And honestly, my knowledge about this game is too limited to make the strongest build.

But we’re not talking about the strongest build here. We are talking about POWER.

And when you play this build, oh boy, are you gonna feel like the most powerful character ever.

Take a look at Grimtool and you’ll understand what I mean.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNYPmLlZ

Reason One to play this build:
Essentially, this is an insane devotion proc build. You’ll have

1. Arcane Bomb
  2. Aether Fire
  3. Flame Torrent
  4. Fissure
  5. Meteor Shower
    AND
  6. Hand of Ultos
    all of them proccing at the same time. Your screen will be filled with so many things that you’ll truly believe just how powerful you are.

Reason Two to play this build:
I didn’t put together this build simply because I love devotion procs (who doesn’t), it’s also because that there is crazy amount of synergy:

1. -40% Fire and Lightning resistance from Thermite Mine
  2. -35% Elemental resistance from Wind Devil
  3. -35% Lightning resistance from Arcane Bomb
  4. -25% Flat Elemental resistance from Agonizing Flames
  5. -25% Reduced elemental resistance from Hand of Ultos
    Everything is working with our fire and lightning damage perfectly

Reason Three to play this build:
Since we already have soooo much raw damage, this build really doesn’t need any particular gear, therefore, it’s also extremely beginner friendly. The only thing I would recommend (but not required) are:

1. Groble Sky Idol (rare item) - you want it because a good one will allow you have FOUR storm totem up at all time. You can farm it from Asterkhan Valley. (Note that the lv95 version requires 724 spirit so you probably need to put 25 ~ 30 attributes into spirits depending on your gear. Not a big deal though you can still easily hit 12k+ hp late game.)
  2. Any gear that reduce stun/entrapment duration. You want to run around while keep tossing out your skills

Reason Four to play this build:
Despite how many strong devotion this build has, you can actually acquire most of the important ones such as Meteos and Ultos by end of act 3 on Elite. You can even speed up this process by starting in crucible for 4~5 devotion points.

What does this mean? Grim dawn is about enjoying the build while making it. And the sooner you’ll get to enjoy end game devotion, imo, the better. (Don’t you hate sometimes that you would have to get to mid Ultimate difficulty to unlock the devotion that you’ve been chasing for the whole game??)

Reason Five to play this build:
Despite how much offense this build has, it actually has good defense as well:

1. Stun from Hand of Ultos
  2. Stun from Fissure
  3. Confusion from Aether Fire
  4. Stun from Cracked Lodestone (Component)
  5. Stun Jack (We are not transmuting it so it can give up to 5 seconds of stuns!)
  6. Giants blood
  7. Blast Shield
  8. Flashbang + Searing Light
  9. Vindictive Flame + Ulzuin’s Wrath
  10. Reduced OA from Blackwatercocktaiil
  11. Impair aim from Wind Devil
  12. Wendingo Totem
  13. -OA from Arcane Bomb
    And that’s just purely from devotions, skills and one component.

Reason Six to play this build:
This build has ridiculous clear speed. Picture this: you toss down a bunch of skill and they start proccing devotions and you just keep running forward and watch your exp rises. I link my storm totem with Meteo Shower and it’s insane how strong it is. Hell, I would like to make a claim here that this is THE fastest clear build ever. (Think about it, the equation has always been more devotion procs = faster clears speed, and this build uses five of the strongest devotion procs).

As requested, I am gonna briefly go over the leveling path:

1. As soon as you start, put points in Devouring swam. This skill is just so good for leveling early game.
  2. Try to max devouring swarm while progressing towards wind devil and storm totem.
  3. Once you get to the totem, focus on progressing towards Thermite mine and Maelstorm while putting some points into the totem as well. Thermite mine is insanely strong when linked with the devotion Flame Torrent. Feel free to spec out of devouring at this point.
  4. After maxing out Thermite mine, you are far enough into the game and strong enough that you can do w/e you want at this point. I would probably max heart of the wild first for that extra HP.

For devotion path, I would get Flame Torrent first, then get to fissure asap. After that, you would want to rush to Meteo and then Hand of Ultos. Get Tempest last because it’s out of the way and will delay us getting the more powerful devotions like Meteos and Ultos.

Make sure you link the devotion like I did in my Grimtool. I played around it and find this set up provides the most consistent amount of procs.

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope you enjoy this build as much as I do. :stuck_out_tongue:

Note: on pg.2, Kobu provided a link to the potential full gears. Take a look, I doubt if I gear this guy up I could go any further than that version.

Video please. :smiley:

And… does it work in Ultimate?

thermite mine and wind devil resist reduction doesnt stack afaik

Yes they do. Resist reductions of the kind with “-%” always stack.

Looks nice but does it have any downsides or things that it is weak against?

As i’ve understood if you respec out of the 3 fire/burn devotions and BWC, you end up with the Light’s Guardian Totem/Devil/Shard build.

If keeping WD and ST is one of the signature points of the build then Light’s Guardian set is the only possible option, optimizing our gear to reach a decent amount of Lightning damage makes us end up with less than stellar Fire damage.

I like the idea of putting emphasis on the raw skills but missing gear suggestion/info really makes a build incomplete imo, gear is crucial in shaping a build.
Looking forward to the gear update of your choice :smiley:

I just beat the expansion in Ultimate and it melted everything… there’s just so much raw damage and resist reduction.

And the important part is this build does insane amount of fire and lightning damage. I don’t know a single type of monster that has strong resist for both of them.

As far as I remember (haven’t looked at any lights guardian build for a long time now), that build requires you to stand your ground and spam stun jax a bit? I would say this build is more similar to the good-ol druid proc build. However, this is a massive upgrade thanks to the new devotion and extra 5 devotion points. The raw power of having those 5 devotions proc at the same time constantly is just nuts…

And having such level of raw power (and 11+ layers of defenses) has one huge advantage – you can make it work with just gears you found on your way to the end game. This is a build that anyone can enjoy :slight_smile:

EDIT:
I’ve found an Elite Sky-Clan for easy farming of the Groble Sky Effigy in Burrwich Outskirts.

Tested on both Normal/Veteran and Elite, he always appears there and has a good chance of dropping a rare (green) sky effigy. Sometimes the paths up there end up being blocked by boulders, so you might have to run around the right side, but he’s there all the time.

Hi, i added a short leveling guide at the end. Hope it helps.

It kinda does…

What i’m wondering is how you end up with 10 Eldritch for Fissure…

3 from getting fiend, 5 from Raven, even if I move the point in the crossroads, I end up at 9…

Would you take Hawk for 3 pts then spec them out once you have Fissure?

Ah sry, yes if that’s what you mean. you could also take scholar’s light.

Just downloaded the game and will be trying this build out. As a new player that knows very little about the game, which is overwhelming to say the least, can you provide a recommended gear list?

Thanks

what about single target dps?

Dude!!! This build is not just strong… ITS EVIL!!! just got thermite mine and with the devotion its insane XD Nice build!!!

This looks similar in concept to mine that I dusted off and updated for the expansion.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZrGzmMN

This build looks like a rain of fire and massive fire coals erupting from the ground. POWER, indeed.

You should make a note that using the Groble Sky Effigy to obtain the additional storm totem requires 724 Spirit, a hard number to reach if you’re not explicitly aiming to get Spirit on gear. How about a few suggestions on what provides good Spirit and the resistances necessary to supplement your main damage source (whether it’s Lightning or Fire).

Great build idea man! Keep it up.

TBH I haven’t even fully geared this character yet. But I could make a few recommendation:

1. Any +1 all skill epic/legendary is really good because you have so many active skills to toss out.
  2. When you pick up green item (rare), they could be very good for fixing your resistances and give you extra HP.
  3. If you scroll down this post a bit you’ll see a grimtool link from Kobu. Check it out. I would say his is probably one of the geared out versions for this build.