[1.0.4.0] Beginner's melee 2H Lightning Elementalist

So is there a way to check the possible range of stat rolls for items?
As for new players w/out mandates grinding the faction reputation takes some time.
Black Legion is the one I have the most trouble with to unlock the faction gear by the time I could use em.
(Devil is also a pita since all you really get are the bounties, since there isn’t a dungeon for poor old Crowley).

Grim Tools.

As far as I can tell there only seems to be a single item for something like Legion Firestarter with fixed stats for the base item unless I’m missing something.
Or with random stats are you referring to things like suffixes?

Pathetic!

Cogwheel to the top left - item attributes - show min/max values.

Thx, missed that one!
You’re still a big sissy, though,Mog and Ravager laugh at you.:stuck_out_tongue:

The hobo god and that fleasy mutt? Why should I care?! :mad: They’ll never attain my level of unearthly grandeur!

Losing ones pants over and over does not sound like grandeur.
Unless if you’re into that sort of thing…

Hi, just wondering how many points i should be putting into temper, thermite mine, wind devil, and raging tempest.

thanks

If you go into the grimtools and then the masteries, then hold down the control and left-shift keys at the same time the bonus points will disappear and you can see how many points have been put into each skill.

wow thanks!

Hey guys, I’ve been using this build for my first character in the game. It’s been really cool so far but I just hit Ultimate and wow I am getting crushed.

In Elite I started favouring my sparkthrower weapon as going into melee seemed a recipe for disaster but now in ultimate it feels like if anything looks at me I fall over.

I can’t link my Grim Calc as this is a new account but most of my armor is around my level with the exception of the medal, relic, necklace and rings. And my reistances are

Fire 38, Frost 80(+19), Lightning 80%(+42) Posion -6% Pierce -20% Bleeding 78% Vitality -9% Aether 12% Stun 0% and Chaos 7% in ultimate. Am I missing something obvious?

Just posting the hash at the end of the link should do if you can’t post the link, so for this build I would post “RZRnLXjZ”.

There’s your problem. Ideally, you want all of your resistances capped or close by Ultimate.

To make this easier, I’d suggest:

-Using Augments from factions. They 're unlocked at Revered and usable at Level 70 for non-expansion factions like Devil’s Crossing. You may want to stay in Elite and grind until you’re Revered with a few. Writs are at Revered too so you only need to grind your rep up once per faction across your entire playtime.

-Using Components on every gear piece. You need as much as you can.

-Faction gear is decent if you need to improve your gear. In particular, check the Level 65 gear for Barrowholm, Coven of Ugdenbog and Malmouth Resistance.

Thank you for the reply :slight_smile: I had a feeling the resistances were the problem, d2jOGblV is the grimtools for the character as it is now. I have been using components but I’m not sure if they’re the right ones.

As for Augments I didn’t know about those, I’ll get those added when I hit 70.

Looks like devotions are also a problem. A character starting Ultimate should have at least 45 points, not 25 like your grimtools shows. In particular Wayward Soul will improve your survivability, and you’ll need Rhowan’s Crown and Arcane Bomb for RR. Going back to Veteran and Elite to get the rest of your shrines should help a lot. If you don’t know, the Rhowari Legacy quest requires Honored with the Rovers (that’s one devotion per difficulty, so well worth doing).

Finding something, even a simple yellow ring from a vendor, with Attack Damage converted to Health will also help your survivability. Blood Pact has a chance of giving you that, but it’s good to have more that’s always on.

Regarding resistances in general, I find it helpful to carry various gear options to swap as circumstances dictate. Put on more acid/poison gear when fighting acid/poison enemies, switch to more aether resistance when fighting aetherials, switch to pierce/fire when fighting Cronley’s people, etc. As a new player with a first character, capping all resists simply isn’t possible yet so just try to cap the ones that matter at any given moment. :slight_smile:

Augments - there are lower level ones requiring less rep, too. At a quick look, Dermapteran Chitin and Gazer Eye could help. Probably others too; look around at the wiki Augments page or grimtools item database to see what you need and where to get it.

If you’re Honored with Devil’s Crossing and haven’t done it yet, doing The Origin of the Slith will get you a relic blueprint. In my experience it has always been a duplicate :mad: but in principle it could give you whatever you need to make a less-terrible relic (I’m not criticizing, to be clear; my first character was using a starter tier relic at level 70 starting Ultimate too… Getting all the blueprints you need to make anything better is incredibly annoying). And you can do the quest in every difficulty, so that’s two useless duplicate blueprints to sell! I mean, two chances to get a useful blueprint. :stuck_out_tongue:

It wont let me bind widow to my Wendingo totem, did they change it since this guide was made?

Great guide btw

Probably. Honestly I don’t know - it’s been a while since last time I played this char.
Try binding to something else I guess.

Yes, Arcane bomb cant be bound to pet like skills like totems.

Hi! great guide btw, i have a noob question, for this build Beginner’s melee 2H Lightning Elementalist, which side you chose, Kymon’s Chosen vs Order of Death’s Vigil? thnks in advance!

I just arrive on Grim Dawn and I chose an elementalist to begin.
I always play with my wife who has begun a sorcerer. We are both lvl 43 currently.

I would like some advice to change the build which is described here as I’m always with a sorcerer. For example, Flame touched (and temper) are already max for the sorcerer and I already profit of its buffs.
On the other hand, I’m more dedicated to tank when the situation needs it.

Here is my current build: grimcalc.com/build/1009-E4a5nC
I imagine to up Vindicative flame like following skill but I don’t really know what to do after.
I tried some builds based on the stuff and the build of this guide and I found this one as final build : grimtools.com/calc/nZo17Qk2

8 points remained unused, I don’t know for the moment if I will need to increase my damage or my survivability.

What do you think ? Is it a good solution to rely on the buff of the sorcerer to keep points and spend them in others skills ?
Does the 2 points in BWC really matter in the original build ? same for thermite mines ?
FOr the shaman part, I’m not completely convinced by the totem. Currently, we run in the world and the totems would always be far behind us.

Thanks you for you advice :slight_smile:

PS:Sorry for my english, it’s not my native language.

Red text.
/10chars