[1.009] Brutal Bleed Conjurer Tank - Newb friendly, Crucible viable

Videos
1.009 Iron Maiden https://youtu.be/C3hkQoHrZVU
1.009 Crucible wave 110-120 https://youtu.be/Wq5PpJUsTO8

This is the guide for a conjurer bleed build that gives up some damage to become more resilent and face any challenge in the current game with ease.

There had been many bleed builds posted here, but as one of the people who pioneered the theme back when it was first made viable I feel I can add some tricks and bits to make it better that not everyone around seem to be using. Some of that can be found in this thread, though it is mostly a historical reading by now.

Bleeder builds rely on stacking flat bleed damage on the target while also debuffing it. This is usually done in several ways. First, we can use bleeding damage gear procs or mastery skills that just put a given damage per second on the target. Gear procs are the main source of damage for a build like this one that has no strong bleed skills. When multiple procs hit the same target, their bleeding damage stacks, ie sums up until each of them expire. Knockout from Brawler’s Gloves is an example of such skill, on its own it is also a wps skill that will fire off autoattacks or replacer skill like savagery.

Then, we can also use flat bleed damage on our weapon, and multiply it with a skill that has high %weapon damage. Such are nightblade’s execution and shadow strike or soldier’s cadence and blade arc with clean sweep. Flat bleeding damage from gear and other sources, like that 8 damage in 3 sec in the Fox constellation, are added together in our weapon damage number. So if we use a skill that hits for 500% weapon damage, that 8 damage in 3 sec in Fox becomes 40 damage in 3 sec before percentage buffs. Unfortunately conjurer class has no such skills, but can use some from components like bloody whetstone or perhaps Oleron’s blood.

Main debuffs in bleed builds are rend skill from Huntress devotion that also acts as one of the damage sources, shaman’s devouring swarm skill and occultist’s curse of frailty. Acid spray from Manticore devotion or proc from Black star of Deceit medal can be added to this. As of 1.009, builds like warders and tricksters absolutely need either manticore or BSoD to do well against bleed immunes. Bleed immunes are the main headache for bleeders, these are undead, staleborn and aetherial terraformers. They have 100% base bleeed resistance on normal (higher on higher difficulties), but that can be lowered with debuffs. Conjurer class has access to both CoF and devouring swarm which makes things simpler when facing immunes.

Unfortunately, Crate seems to be dead set on doing to bleeders what they did to blademasters and were nerfing their debuffs constantly during the last year. Currently bleeders have access to less debuffs than fire or lightning builds, while there are no full factions with 100% fire or lightning resistance in the game.

Since DOTs can crit and crit on every tick since the initial critical hit, it is a good idea to get high offensive ability (OA), at least ~2500 in endgame level 85.

Leveling progression

Stat distribution is 60+ points in physique, 0-3 spirit, 10-15 cunning. I take cunning “because I can” having over the top hp pool already. Spirit points are to help with early game jewellery but are unnecessary later.

The build cannot start with its main skills and need to level with something else until around lvl 30. This can be greater fireblast from flintcore bolts component or primal strike with transmuter. It does not matter how its done, it only matters that we have appropriate skills by the time we take rend from huntress, which is in the dermapteran hive secret area (where Gollus is), act III, if we do not miss any shrine (except East Marsh). By that time, we need devouring swarm, curse of frailty and savagery ready.

level 32 http://grimcalc.com/build/1008-ZGlVCz link contains devotion map

Once we switch to this setup, we can start casting CoF (with rend bound to it) and devouring swarm (with Falcon swoop bound) on groups. This alone will kill most trash mobs. What is more resilent is dealt with by melee savagery to apply its own bleed and proc what procs. I take bloody pox as an extra aid for leveling, it helps with immunes and adds something else to throw at mobs. But remove it in the end since we don’t use any items to support it properly.

By level 50 Blood of Dreeg with aspect of the Guardian should already be there, and shaman’s mastery bar full

level 50 http://grimcalc.com/build/1008-3pHnhl this is supposed to be the end of normal/beginning of elite.

From that point we only need to get wendigo totem and level taken skills steadily.

To have better melee damage we need to use weapons with bleed damage on them. There is an assortment of epic and legendary weapons for low level, starting with Gorefeast level 23, then thirsting maw level 45, Butcherer of Burrwitch level 50 and Brutallax level 58. Brutallax actually does not have any flat bleed but has a proc instead. Brawler’s gloves and Bloodbathed links are good epics for leveling.

Mana regeneration will be an issue at early levels, so focusing prism, ectoplasms and one or two items with mana regen are needed. Cheapest simplest way to solve mana issues is to steal bone talisman from Rovers. Once we level up the main Mogdrogen’s pact skill, we do not need extra items with mana regen.

Final skills look like this http://grimcalc.com/build/1008-BdORwS

Option 2 is to get manticore at the cost of movement speed, overcapped lightning res and giant’s blood: http://grimcalc.com/build/1008-UlZ5sy I tried it and found not that important to sacrifice all of the above, but it adds some extra dps and helps with staleborn. Acid spray can be bound to wendigo totem.

With items

Devotion roadmap

1 pt in Ascendant (purple) crossroads
Take Falcon
1 pt in Chaos (red) crossroads
Take Jackal
1 pt in Eldritch (green) crossroads
Take Huntress
1 pt in Primordial (blue) crossroads
Take Sailor’s guide
Remove primordial crossroads
Take 3 points in Behemoth (hp and giant’s blood)
Take Berserker
Remove Jackal and Eldritch crossroads
Take Hawk
Take Chariot of the Dead
Remove chaos crossroads
Take Empty Throne
Remove Ascendant crossroads
Take Wolverine
Take Mogdrogen the Wolf

Falcon swoop goes to devouring swarm, this allows to use it more like a caster spell.
Rend goes to Curse of Frailty.
Howl of Mogdrogen goes to savagery.
Wayward soul and giant’s blood go to two defensive auras and buffs awailable, Mogdrogen’s pact and primal bond.

Itemisation

Bleeder builds usually use two handers or dual wield, but this one resorts to sword and board for more defenses. This costs it a lot of potential damage but it still has enough. My current damage is around 110K bleed ticks on dummy, 130K with manticore. It can go higher on mobs when procs are active.

Good defense in GD is attained when many different sources of it are used together. Each of them add not so much, it is together when they become a difference. This can be armor, damage absorption, physical and other resistances, block, high hp, instant heals, hp regen, damage converted to health, evasion or fumbling and monster damage reduction. We do not have evasion or fumbling, easy AOE damage reduction (like BWC or warcry), life steal is useless with poor direct damage, our block is nonexistant and armor is OKish. Thus it is not the best tank possible (check any commando build for better examples). Though it can take any nemesis 1 on 1 in main campaign, in crucible it resorts to kiting rather often.

To start playing this build without BiS gear, three items are absolutely necessary. First is the weapon with bleed damage or proc. Brutallax and emp. Gorefeast are best, but perhaps several more can be used, including Butcherer of Burrwitch and emp. Thirsting Maw. It should be possible to do with Bloodsong too, but it has nightblade skills irrelevant for the build and you cannot use berserker constellation with it. Second and third are Empowered Bloodbathed links belt and empowered Brawlers gloves. Add to this Lapis Mantichora necklace if you can.

All of these contain bleed damage procs that are crucial for us to do damage. Conjurer class does not have access to strong bleed skills like soldiers and nightblades and need a few items to compensate. Of these items, Brutallax is a legendary not too uncommon, emp. Gorefeast is an epic, chains and gloves are very common epics. Lapis is an epic craftable, like all craftables, it can drop for you in your first playthrough or never at all. I played for quite some time myself happily farming nemesis without even knowing it exists.

With these 3 prerequisite items and no other items, that is almost naked, I can get 70K ticks with the same character. It is surely enough to complete main campaign if equipped with proper resists and perhaps even do challenger. If I add Lapis Mantichora and emp. Bloodreaper’s mark, I can get above 100K.

When you don’t have Bloodrager set items, use any greens or epics with hp, resist and OA in these slots, or others bleed related legendaries. Thats what we did when there was no Bloodrager in the game anyway and it didn’t hinder my other character in killing Bourbon clones back then.

Head
Wardstone or sanctified bone
Bloodrager’s Cowl
or any decent rare

Chest
Chains of Oleron or hallowed ground or sanctified bone
Bloodrager’s Coat
or any decent rare

Shoulders
Scaled hide
Bloodrager’s Shoulderguard
or any decent rare
there are also Vileblood Mantle nerfed into oblivion
and Wildblood Mantle

Hands
Consecrated wrappings
Empowered Brawler’s Gloves must have, bleed proc

Legs
Scaled hide
Pants of the Gods with hp/resist, bloodletter’s prefix or perhaps of attack suffix
Empowered Legplates of Valor cheap hp/resist/phys resist
or any decent rare

Feet
Mark of Mogdrogen
Boneshatter Treads phys resist, OA, rare life leech resist, devouring swarm
Golemborn Greaves phys resist, hp, armor
Elite Rhowari Greaves OA, hp

Weapon
Bloody whetstone for granted skill with 300% weapon damage
Brutallax bleed proc.
Empowered Gorefeast bleed damage, attack speed.
Either one or the other is a must have.

Shield
Riftstone component for granted skill allowing fast movement
Meat Shield I initially planned to use this
Fleshwarped Bulwark these drop like candy in aetherial areas and finding one with physical resistance is almost a given if you played this game once to ultimate. Its selling points are crazy regen and phys resist option together with other useful stats

Belt
any component here, I use rigid shell to overcap lightning res
Empowered Bloodbathed Links must have, bleed proc

Necklace
Focusing prism for mana cost reduction and crit
Bloodrager’s Gem
Lapis Mantichora bleed damage proc

Rings
Ectoplasms
Cronley’s Signets
Good rares and even magic items with of attack suffix
Judicator’s signets 1, 2 these have a good proc and good regen, along with OA, DA and resistances

Medal
Dread skull or arcane spark for energy leech/regen
Mark of Divinity for crucible
Badge of Mastery
Empowered Bloodreaper’s Mark cheap item that is even better than Badge of Mastery for raw dps :), flat and % bleed, OA, it even has energy regen

Relic
Citadel hp and DA
Oleron’s Wrath this is soldier related but has strong bleed proc if you want more damage
Fortress cheaper defense relic

Crucible

This build might not have the fastest clear speed with its rather low damage, but can still clear gladiator solo.

There are lots of bleed immunes there unfortunately and killing them with bleeding damage can take ridiculous time. Your score will reset and blessings expire. Luckily, there is an option to alleviate that, it is inferno banner. It clears trash (which is the most problematic anyway while we can focus single target), destroys Moosilauke’s crystals and so on. Using more than one level 3 might be expensive, but one is enough most of the time or we can use two more level 1. I’m not using attack or defense banners properly anyway and run all over the place.

Since this build’s defences are not ideal its best to not get cornered by hordes.

Fabius is easy for bleeders as is Iron Maiden unless you get too unlucky with weapons or mutators. Two of them can be managed with kiting. Zantarin can be challenging - undead he summons are usual undead trash with their usual resist. Moosilauke is also challenging in the open when we need to deal with freeze locks from crystals. Luring them closer to inferno banner is the way to deal with them.

Crucible spawns a few mobs that can debuff and it is pays off to overcap resists, most notably lightning (Valaran), fire (SharZul) and aether (Anaestheria).

Attachment: Gladiator_reward.jpg
Attachment: Tasi_Con.jpg
Attachment: conjskill01.jpg
Attachment: conjskill02.jpg

youtube URL is wrong

Fixed, thanks

Everything into Physique?

What are your devotions bound to?

Hello, yes, stat distribution, thanks for mentioning

Stat distribution is 60+ points in physique, 0-3 spirit, 10-15 cunning. I take cunning “because I can” having over the top hp pool already. Spirit points are to help with early game jewellery but are unnecessary later.

Falcon swoop goes to devouring swarm, this allows to use it more like a caster spell.
Rend goes to Curse of Frailty.
Howl of Mogdrogen goes to savagery.
Wayward soul and giant’s blood go to two defensive auras and buffs awailable, Mogdrogen’s pact and primal bond.

Thanks. Its a long weekend over here, so four days of GD. Will give this a go…:stuck_out_tongue:

I took my character to the dummy with only belt, gloves and axe and no other items, naked, that yields 70K ticks. Adding Lapis Mantichora and emp. bloodreaper’s mark raises this to >100K. I can get 10K less dps on average with emp. thirsting maw + bloody whetstone instead of Brutallax too. That is 60K instead of 70, 90 instead of 100, so maybe Brutallax is not an absolute requirement also.

Its unfortunate that conjurers don’t have blade arc or blade spirits for leveling though.

It’s my first character, and I initially went a more vitality damage route. I wanted to be more melee involved though, so I’ve respecced to bleed. I’m still level 65 or so, and using the vines because I don’t have enough gear sources of bleed yet.

I’m glad that it can work without the vines though. I don’t like to have so many buttons to press to kill a mob.

I’ve since made a few other characters, and I think that bleed is one of the more difficult to get working. Poison is so much more damaging and less resisted in my experience.

Anyway, nice write up. Glad to see it can work effectively.

Conjurers were considered a little too OP in any variation including bleed. Though some of them might still be, they have lost a lot to nerfs since then. Right now you can equip direwolf crest, add Bloodsong as a second weapon and Oleron’s wrath relic and do almost twice as much dps as I do. But it is glass cannon and the only thing different from trickster in that setup is simpler debuff.

Loving this build so far. Level 82 and just tryin to gear up.

cool build, tried a bleeding char but didnt have any much luck with it

Hey,

Would post also grimtools calc?

Best regards,

Hi there,

I just recycled my old Conjurer into this build, more or less, to give it new blood :smiley: and so far loving it.

Cheers!

Edit: By the way, might you say which affixes you do happen to have in your 4 rare items?? I ask this because I’m missing like 2k HP and Chaos/Aether res still, being a pita when farming Valbury (I hate to the core those spiral thingies…) and BoC in Ultimate >__<, I’m unable to figure them all out, just to know what do i need to look for. Thanks in advance.

Hello, there is the grimtools link. That file might be a little different from what is shown in the post. Don’t bother with finding particular rares and MIs and use what you have. These rares are in no way optimal or best in slot either.

Hi, not directly related to the build but I’m thinking about making a Bleed based witchblade. I’m 100% sure it can’t compete in terms of damage due to the loss of Devouring Swarm but I think it will be tankier: grimcalc com build 1009-JmV6Id (can’t post link because I just joined)

What do you think about this?

I wanted to avoid warders and withblades at first because I thought they were hit harder than they apparently did. It can work though I would personally hate it to count cadence hits while waiting for blade arc recharge while waiting for debuffs recharge while looking for buffs (mogdrogen and the set) timers all at once. I think I tried that and despised it at some point, savagery is alot simpler, but you may find it to be differrent, who knows :).

Put one point in blitz anyway, it is a movement skill conjurers do not have and saves you a shield component. also a few points in scars of battle. You will have some + soldier skills anyway, +1 soldier means you can take one point from non-important to overcap auras and buffs and put it all elsewhere. Warcry is actually awesome part of soldier’s defense and laceration has that critical damage for big hits, so you’re losing on multiple fronts if you want both cadence and blade arc

This is my first build and I’m quite loving it so far - I’m lv 81 (don’t have all the optimal gear yet). I just seen that you went with more occultist mastery points instead of higher shaman skills. Can you elaborate please? This is basically the only dilema that I’m in right now. Whether should I put the remaining 8 points into occultist mastery bar to increase those base stats or should I rather spend then to further increase those shaman skills that are not yet maxed out. If I put them in mastery I won’t be able to reset them if I change my mind later. Also, which shaman skills should I prioritize to max out with those remaining points? Thanks!

When I specced out of bloody pox I was left with these skill points I didn’t knew where to spend, so they went into mastery bar. Putting them in skills is safe as you can always respec. Use them to max whatever is not at max or ultimate level. If everything is maxed, you can grab grasping vines, though it will bloat your skill rotation. Storm touched for a little more attack speed or blood pact for a little more %bleed.

Thx! More atk speed sounds particularily usefull. I’ll just try to use my common sense, perhaps up my offense a bit if possible. I feel I’m already resilient enough or at least quite enough.

Ok so this is my build so far, I slightly altered skill points based on my current gear and needs. I’ve put a bit more into defensive auras and buffs because I felt more defense was needed. I don’t have all the recommended gear just yet, so I’m using what I find best but of course every recommendation is more than welcome. I don’t know however why this tool won’t show my correct ammount of health - 10080, also my aether res is 61% if I’m not mistaken - instead of 59% shown here. Perhaps I left out some other minor miscalculations by this tool, but it’s mostly correct.

I just killed Krieg on Ultimate, but still can’t solo Mogdrogen on Elite, I just can’t sustain, my dps is low etc. Perhaps this build is not exactly viable for soloing him (from Veteran on), or perhaps I just need to get better gear still. I’ve made a small mistake imo, if I had a chance to correct it I would probably put only 5 to 10 points in cunning, everything else in phisique. Not a huge mistake tho, but I feel every point more in phisique would come in handy on ultimate. Don’t know about Mogdrogen cause he just seems impossible for me from Elite on, with or without those 5 points more in phisique. I’ll still get a couple more skill/attribute points on Ultimate, but this is already mostly fleshed out, I doubt it gets much more powerful from here on.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/L2JMWaNp

Temporarily switched to this setup:
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/62a5eX24

Shield is nothing special, but it gives me resistances needed if I want to use Lapis Manticora. I’ll switch to Badge of Mastery as soon as I farm enough Cthonic seals.