[1.1.1.2-1.2.0.2] Beronath's Death Herald: 4:30m Crucible 150-170, SR 90, Celestials Melee Death Knight (+bonus Warlord build) [c+][sr+]

I am quite used to half-assed buffs at this point. Like this one. Or like just 50% conversion on Arcanum Frigus.

One of the most iconic skill in all of GD history still sucks ass because apparently giving 20% crit is too much. Good forbid build starts doing Crucible in 7 minutes instead of 7:30. All meanwhile there are a handful of broken ass sub 5 minute builds that have lived thru how many patches now?

But yeah, I don’t care, because patch 1.1.5.0 showed that Crate stopped caring about balance so everything is fair game now. Just sucks for all the stuff that was nerfed prior to 1.1.5.0.

2 Likes

It must be uncomfortable having your head so far up your own ass.

4 Likes

You tell me

Imagine getting this worked-up because a perfectly viable build takes 30 seconds more to beat Crucible 151-170 than other builds. You need a break from this game, buddy.

Isn’t it more about different preferences in design at this point? You prefer a more homogenized cleartime for the pre-baked endgame sets, I prefer kiting as a viable form of sustain and see adding %life reduction and phys damage to every boss a boring and lazy form of design, others prefer facetanking being the one true way… Better find a group to mod the game with to your/our/etc. preferences.

Or play a game that better suits them.

Fwiw crate has long atoned for warlord’s (or oathkeeper’s) game breaking power at release, so as long as the vanilla options and ashes options are competitive with the warlord, then I don’t see the need to nerf (or avoid measured buffs like this one, apropo measured. much nicer word than half-assed.) any further. Maybe they (together) could get a little closer to the :clock630: to :clock7: interval, OR maybe they (wb, warlord, bama, DK) could have some other advantage (e.g. tankiness, oneshot resistance, consistency) that benefit them in another, equally viable form of endgame.

A lot of the nerfs aimed at warlord have had more effect on everything else that uses the same gear. As an example, taking the 8% crit bonus off Beronath Reforged didn’t really hurt EoR Warlords, who had 40% crit alone from their exclusive skill. It hurt every other build that used that sword, who had 30% crit pre-nerf and lost almost a third of it. There are skill-specific mods that could be nerfed with less collateral damage.

There’s also the issue that SR set/Reaver Claw Blademaster has better clear times and SR depth that any Warborn spec, with even more durability to boot. It raises the question of why a dedicated set is thoroughly outperformed by a generalist one and sets expectations for performance, since neither the set nor the claws have been nerfed this patch. You don’t see this issue with other skills either, where their top performers are almost always the sets specifically built to support that skill.

2 Likes

Physical Cadence Soldier with Warborn set is one of the iconic builds of the game, it just should perform better. (Honestly I think every skill with a dedicated set and a good build should perform above average.)

Yeah, I wish it was so. But it isn’t. Warborn dw Soldier has that “paper tankiness”, but on practice not dealing enough damage to sustain itself and kill baddies fast enough means it’s actually glassier than quite a few its melee compatriots.

Is it really frowned upon to get emotional about the game you love? I don’t see what’s the problem here. At least I am the one being constructive here.

Sums it very well, good post, mate.

1 Like

Emotional and constructive rarely fit together. Good constructive criticism should really not have any bias or “fluff” in the middle of it like some of the bits you have displayed below, some of these are crossing the line which is why people take issue whenever you try to provide feedback:

can you make the same quotes post but with Zantai’s quotes directed at me? Let’s not derail this guide thread tho.

I agree, this is the last post I’ll make on the subject.

It’s a two-way street. If you sass Zantai, he’ll sass you back, that’s how he operates.

Provide a feedback post with little-to-no bias, some evidence or personal experience to back it up and you’re more likely to get replied to respectfully in turn, it’s as easy as that.

Updated Warlord spec and added a video of 7:28 Crucible 150-170 run.

1 Like

Hey @mad_lee Any chance of this build (Warlord DW Cadence) facing the celestials (Mogdrogen and Ravager)? Any suggestions or alternatives?

I was able to do all the content except Mog and Ravager. :disappointed_relieved:

Against Mogdrogen you have to few things: raise your max lightning resist (so perhaps Avenger of Cairn amulet + Korvaak’s medal), overcap it by ~80% or more. Then cap your stun resist and get extra life steal (maybe some dread lord ring or some ring, I dunno).

Against Ravager you need a lot of armor (3k+), phys res and actually good oa and life leech. Also specific Ravagers need specific counters.

But I am not an expert on Celestials, I rarely do them. Maybe this build doesn’t have what it takes to take them down.

1 Like

this is still one of my favourite builds, your recent idea of using avenger of cairn was so amazing also. I build mine slightly differently to you but very very similar. I prefer this so much more than warlord version now, more fun to play and just seems to hit a bit harder with all the WPS.

My setup with just permabuffs, the resists are insane, all over 30% over cap except for pierce which is 20% overcap:

1 Like

Thanks, man! Yeah, I think Avenger of Cairn offers so freaking much in terms of tankiness that sacrificing damage in this slot seems almost mandatory given how this build is definitely on the weaker spectrum of melee builds.

I do have some ideas on how to update it tho, it involves getting Fighting Form to 20/12 and getting Scales in the devotions. Hope I can do it and test it this weekend.

haha funny you say that, i use scales in my setup and i don’t miss ghoul at all xD
its really handy for if grava throws his purge and you run away to rebuff, you can get some heals when rebuffing etc. its great for peace of mind but yeah vs single bosses it is not the be all and end all.
this is my setup
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/r2B99OwN
of course my stats are much better than this because i have great rolls lol. its meant more for shattered realm, i dont really play crucible.

Would you consider this to be the best Death Knight build also in the latest patch 1.1.6.2? I have a lvl 100 DK I would like to respec into something useful :slight_smile: Only missing the Avenger of Cairn recipe now :expressionless:

That’s far from the best Death Knight, mate. I am yet to update this build for current patch. I would recommend playing Physical Blade Arc Death Knight actually.

Ah, OK, thanks :slight_smile: I will try to find a build guide for such one!