[1.1.4.2] Emperor's Archmage: All Content Viable, 6m Crucible Gladiator 150-170, Easy to Gear Sorceress [c+][sr+][vid][g3]

Yes, rebinding Canister Bomb to Aetherfire was a bit revolutionary. All the stuff you can learn about the game by reading these forums. :slight_smile:

Procing Time Dilation with your active attacking skill is always a bit clunky, but I try to proc it after I get into the center of a big brawl on a late wave (with Mirror up), possibly after debuffing few hero mobs with Nulification, that way you get more usefulness out of Aeon.

And thanks for giving my build some publicity, Sorcerers have really been on decline since AoM release.

I really like the idea of the build (cataclysm, hourglass, etc) but I really really (really) donā€™t like demolitionist. Something about the way the skills work (they are all like chucking grenades, dont feel like spells at all, if that makes any sense) just doesnā€™t do it for me. The only thing in the kit I find appealing is blast shield honestly.

Are there any other elemental type builds that might play similarly (aside from the obvious rune and wind devil setupsā€¦)? I would consider something like a druid maybe but I definitely donā€™t want to play a vindicator (even though I know its technically ideal for elemental stuff) as I donā€™t want to rely on pets/totems or runes or feel like thatā€™s all I have to work with.

I was thinking I could play a mage hunter with cataclysm instead of the usual PRM setupā€¦ I think I might be able to make it work with stormfire/devastation/CT (and maybe additional meteor sources) or maybe a TSS build.

I agree that throwing molotovs and grenades and placing mines might not be as exciting for some as conjuring storms and blizzards and meteor rains. Also, it is mostly a dot build, so there is that.

If you want to play a more exciting type of caster, I will shamelessly plug my Spellbreaker. It requires some skills to pilot and its Crucible times really depend on your skill (also less effective than Rune of Hagarad builds obviously), but itā€™s damn exciting to play. Itā€™s extremely fast (45% cdr), it does massive damage, itā€™s very nimble. Besides, itā€™s a simple setup that also just rips main campaign into shreds (very very fast farmer).

Thanks for replying and understanding.

Nice build, Iā€™ll check it out. Is this the one zhuugus refuses to add to his guide? Thanks for properly pointing out the faults in his build logic.

I generally ignored nighblade as Iā€™m not interested in melee stuff, though I knew it was cold based too. I do appreciate a CDR build that actually uses a damage type that matches with star pact (always seemed a waste taking it with fire and aether builds).

I guess cdr builds also work best for characters like sorcerer, spellbinder and spellbreaker that have circuit breaks from both classes too.

Iā€™m curious why you donā€™t use blade barrier. I thought the main advantage of spellbreaker was being able to chain that with mirror. It looks to me like the hourglass is only really for mirror then? Is that worth it?

Iā€™ve currently been leveling a mage hunter and finally broke down and decided to see what all the fuss is with runes. I donā€™t immediately hate themā€¦ They at least look like spells and not just some sort of mechanical trap thingā€¦ I could do without the arming delay though. Hard to judge their power level at this point though. I expect they will get nerfed if they are truly so braindead good.

I also tried out a shaman to see how I would feel about wind devil and storm totem and didnā€™t mind that either, so maybe a Druid is an option for me as well. I would have preferred a fire and lightning or tri element build but it seems that either requires demo or isnā€™t viable

Nice one, looks really good, and after breaking the bank of 3 characters to try get the right stoneplate boots, this is refreshing. My question is this: what can I substitute for the Ravagerā€™s Eye weapon augment, as this happens to be my only character who has Barrowholm on Nemesis.

Black Legion one with %elemental hp and oa or maybe even essence of Chton for little bit more rr. If you feel like DA is still lacking you can move points back from Spirit to Physique too.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Since there is nothing to do for me untill next patch I am back to crazy min-maxing - trying to polish my older builds.

Managed to get this one to a level it can steadily farm Crucible Gladiator with 4 buffs/ no banners in 10-11 minutes. It took one Mythical Combustion Band ring that I have been wrongfully overlooking all this time (plus did change amulet component). Uploaded a video of a run on Crucible of the Dead.

I think you should start thinking about devastation. My infernal knight sorc now clears in 9 min (bannered but with more than usual lag because fire build + devastation) just from adding devastation. I know itā€™s a cheap way to boost your damage but itā€™s some good shit.

Grim Tools link seems to be broken by the formatting.

For anyone lazy enough to view the source: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/aZqKjY82 :slight_smile:

I tried this build with Devastation long ago, itā€™s not that effective here. Swapped to Canister Bomb for that reason.

Thanks, fixed!

Thanks a lot for this build! I recently came back to GD and hadnā€™t played since Vanilla, and it really seemed like my main character was not gonna be of use anymore. I couldnā€™t find any cool/viable seeming sorc builds, until I saw this one (and I really donā€™t have the time to theorycraft a build myself). This one seems very strong, and matches the way I want to play!

However, I currently have literally 0 of the gear pieces you are using (except for a non-mythical Warpfire). Do you think itā€™s already worth it to respec to your setup of attributes/devotion/skills, or does this build require one or multiple of the items to work properly? If so: which ones? Iā€™m currently still specā€™d as an Albrechtā€™s Aether Ray sorc, and it feels a bit underwhelming in AoM and even more so in Crucible.

Finally: would you be willing to craft (some of) the craftable gear pieces for me? I donā€™t have the mats for everything yet, but will work on collecting them. If I know I can get some of the items in that way, Iā€™ll also start to try and trade for the others on the forums.

This build is not as gear-dependant really, you can swap shoulders and chest for Infernal Knight items or pants for anything to patch your resists or boots to anything really. There is no real core item or core set of items to this build except maybe cataclysm set. But this set of items allows the build to be extra sturdy and extra versatile with components (notice armor absorb bonus from two pieces of Justicar), and I spend a lot of time making this Sorc work and sorcs are not in a good place right now in general.

And yes, add me in steam: mad_lee, I will craft pieces from the build for free, just prepare iron bits/mats that are needed for the crafts themselves (you can look them up on grim wiki or grimtools or whenever).

Thanks a lot, really appreciate your help! I added you on Steam (at least: if youā€™re the mad_lee from Moscow), my nick on there is jonne3. Currently have mats ready for: Cataclysmā€™s Pact, Mythical Wyrmbone Handguards & a Seal of Destruction.

Gonna work on getting the required stuff for Korvaakā€™s Deception, as that ability seems very cool. But gonna have to farm a lot more Blood of Chā€™tons for that.

Does the new patch mean anything changes for this build in your opinion?

FYI: Iā€™ve had all the gear for a while now (although with bad rolls on multiple parts) and almost all the components, and the build is crazy strong indeed! Very fun to play as well.

I am yet to test it in 1.0.7.1. I am also considering trying out new Herald of Apocalypse amulet with different off-hand and belt.

• More radius on thermite mines
  • Aether to cold conversion results in a bit more damage from aetherfires
  • Blast Shield improved
  • Lower weapon damage from Wrath of Agrivix

Overall Iā€™d say it got improved.

Careful, if you also build around Devastation/Apocalypse in addition to BWC and canister bomb, you will have two more buttons to press and also possibly suffer a skill point deficit. Eternity actually affects Apocalypse, but you have to sacrifice your charge skill to get itā€¦

If there is one tip I can share for playing extreme piano builds, itā€™s to re-map Pause to the actual ā€œPauseā€ key on your keyboard, then assign Spacebar to one of your hotkey skills. This allows your thumb to actually do something useful. I also use mouse wheel up/down and F1 for various purposes.

Also, can you try attaching Flame Torrent to Thermite Mines and see what happens? Iā€™m curious as to what the radius increase will do to this.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind! But if I try Devastation I am obviously letting Canister Bomb go.

The thermite change was only a mod for IK helm. Itā€™s still the same bad skill if you donā€™t use it. Seriously please use that helm on sorc :stuck_out_tongue: