[1.1.6.2] The new Carrot tank - Markovian S&B Warlord! SR 75+/Crucible buffless

This build viable as of 1.1.9.0?

I copy what I wrote under ā€œFAQā€ in my beginner build compendium

Patches in Grim Dawn does not work the same way as in say Path of Exile. Even if a guide is 3-4 patches old, it is still 95%-100% accurate. Given that the purpose of these build guides are to help you get a char to start doing end-game, you should not care about it being ā€oldā€ or ā€outdatedā€. You can also just ask in the thread for that particular guide if there is some important item or skill change.

What is more relevant is if the endgame - Best in Slot (BiS) geared builds that are often presented last in these guides are updated and viable. But the leveling and budget gearing part is as mentioned 95%-100% accurate and relevant.

3 Likes

Zolhan is straight DPS loss for builds outside of 2H melee. Shattering Smash and Markovianā€™s are good enough WPS skills for this build.

Iā€™m confused as to why Zolhanā€™s is a straight DPS loss. Looking at WPS for my character:

• 28% Chance (16/12 Markovianā€™s Advantage)
  • 17% Chance (3/10 Smite)
  • 23% Chance (7/10 Shattering Smash)
  • 24% Chance (8/12 Zolhanā€™s Technique - from a single point, +3 from medal, +1 belt, +2 set, +1 weapon)

That adds up to a 92% chance of a WPS proc which is below the 100% threshold. If you drop the 24% chance donā€™t you lose the extra procs thus lowering your overall DPS? Or am I missing something?

The discussion is a bit older and there were some changes in between - but not all WPS animations are (or at least were) of equal length

2 Likes

Ahh, that makes sense. Are all the WPS animation times the same now? Or is Zolhanā€™s Technique still slower?

honestly, dunno - especially in the S&B case

So I just tested it against training dummy. I was below 100% WPS chance in both scenarios. Here was the character, including all damage except for the summon empyrion (they were unsummoned). My Character

Scenario One:

• Includes 24% Chance of Zolhanā€™s (8/12).
  • Time to kill training dummy: ~0:58
  • Time to kill training dummy 5 times including reset invincibility period: 4:58

Scenario Two (unallocated single point in Zolhanā€™s - did not reallocate to anything else):

• Does NOT include 24% Chance of Zolhanā€™s (8/12)
  • Time to kill training dummy: ~1:02
  • Time to kill training dummy 5 times including reset invincibility period: 5:16

So taking Zolhan (with +7 skill) resulted in approximately a 6.5% damage boost (4s/62s) single target.

I did some hand calculations and I think Zolhan SHOULD result in a 22% increase (maybe a little less with other procs) because the damage difference between a proc and no proc is about double.

As such, I think there is still an animation difference between Zolhan and not having it. I think if you have a lower skill level it may result in less DPS. For my particular build though and one point, its worth the 6.5% damage boost especially because it adds AOE.

2 Likes

the comment about Zolhan WPS you talked about was almost 2 years ago. Even the original build was from patch 1.1.6.2, without any updates recently from Nery. In that time, Zolhan was a bad WPS, just like Amarasta Quick Cut. Slow animation/ cannot work with dual- wield weapons. There are multiple patches from that time until now, and IIRC, a lot of changes had been made with WPS, like buff to WD, faster animation, work with dual-wield, pass-throughā€¦ (include Zolhanā€™s Technique). So there is no surprise that now Zolhan is much better than before, you can play with or without it what- ever- you- want.

1 Like