[1.1.7.2] Beginner's Scorching Ray Templar

Okay so when I go to the spirit guide to remove scholars light it says, dependencies’ Magi so how do I keep magi while removing scholars light?

You shouldn’t have problems removing Scholar’s Light if you did everything right. Check if you have all stars in Magi and still have Crossroads green.

Thanks for this guide!

I just started completely fresth as I lost/deleted my saves. I never leveled to 100 before, but have done up to Log in Ultimate on a couple of characters.

I wasn’t planning on following this, cause last time I played AAR I hated it, plus I wanted to be mostly VM focused (zoom zoom). So I leveled with VM (and a bit of CT) through all of Normal (including AoM and FG). I finally got all the required recipes for Conflagration around level 50 I think, and figured I’d try it out. And it’s nothing like I remember AAR to be. I dunno if channeled skills have changed since I last tried them or what, but I hope AAR feels about the same.

Anyways, I kept my VM and CT focus until lvl72 in Elite. At that point I was just reaching Malmouth, and feeling really demotivated, cause I had died about 7 times in Elite, and kept dropping to 20% HP every time I charged into anything other than white monsters. It was just super hectic all the time. And my plan of farming Vanquisher gear on this was definitely completely gone in my head.

The build I was kinda following had very offensive devos I guess (picked form a Chinese build, that probably require much better gear). I was about to just call it a quits, and start a Vit caster instead to be honest. But I figured I’d try a respec to this build first. And I can safely say I should have just done so ages ago. It’s so much tankier it’s unbelievable.

I went from this: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZyL1pAV
To this: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNYW05lV (only exported it after getting a couple more levels)

What I don’t get is why this is so much tankier?

It’s not just the Bat, that’s for sure. I feel like a billion times tankier just zooming around with VM as well, and Bat only procs when I channel Conflag.

The resists and OA/DA don’t seem that different (considering +2 levels as well). In fact with procs up my Phys Res went down a lot to.

Tip the scales don’t look very defensive to me, but I guess it provides some sustain? So that leaves Empyrion. That 24% damage reduction sounds good, but is it really up that often that it explains this insane difference in tankyness I’m feeling?

I’m really struggling to understand how I can go from ping pong HP (literally 100->20->HP pot->100->20->Mirror->100->20->dead kinda) - to hardly having to pot or use Mirror ever now.

Anyways, thanks again for the guide! I should have just followed it (especially the devos) much earlier. I’ll be following it to 100 now for sure - although real life and work is gonna kill my progress a bit now, so it might be a while.

1 Like

I’m currently on mobile only, so I can’t check your GTs, but there indeed shouldn’t be that much difference if you had proper gear-up on your original build.

The yellow-blue devotion path does beef your character quite a bit due to freebie armor from Solemn Watcher + hound combo, which is super effective during levelling, especially if you can’t use heavy armor for reasons. Don’t know if it’s your case but a lot of new players vastly underestimate the importance of armor.

Less so because of Eel + Solemn Watcher defensive ability combo, it does help but generally I don’t find DA a terribly important stat during levelling.

Scales are in fact a defensive proc. I didn’t highlight that because it’s more difficult to convert vitality to fire early on, so the most sustain would come from bat, but even unconverted Tip the Scales does offer some minor sustain, which coupled with more defense due to armor bonuses and extra hp and resistances might had been enough to change how it feels.

Empyrion’s proc is 24% only maxed, you start with something like 7 or 9% IIRC, but it adds up.

Anyway, glad my build worked for you.

I am level 87 on Ultimate following this guide brilliant thanks, have one query I am using medal Mark of Ulzuin
level 84 but on checking grimtools I couldnt find a listing for a Mythical one.

Ouch, my mistake. There’s no mythical version for that item. The one you’re using is the one I meant in the guide.

I’ve been following your builds for a while now and want to thanks you! All this effort, hundreds and thousand new players came to the game and playing because of you :heart:

So. I made a switch to Conflagration on lvl 35 and fully buffed averaging 35k dps :open_mouth:

Melting thru normal like a champ!

Is there a benefit to complete all DLC on normal? I’am thinking going to elite after main campaign.

2 Likes

Completing quests on normal would naturally provide you with faction reputation, so if you skip DLCs you’d have to grind reputation with bounties, totems, etc. I mean you’d have to do that even if you do all DLCs on normal, but the gap would be less.

Generally I don’t recommend skipping to new players because doing all DLCs leads to smoother experience. Especially since all of my budget setups rely on faction gear. It’s not exactly a problem if you skip, just don’t be surprised when it turns out you’re already level 90 but can’t buy the stuff I suggest to buy at that level.

What does the 1.1.8 nerf to Disintegration mean for this build?

Very minor damage nerf.

Ok Thats my next Choice after killinng Krieg with your Forcewave Build ^^

Omg i died in Flooding passage with this guide. I was onehit at the End bossmob there. I never died there before. Youre not bringing Luck to me :slight_smile: Ok one More Try… I think i jus was Tired because of work…

You did not die because of guide you died because you are bad at the game :stuck_out_tongue:

This looks cool, I’ve been wanting to make a SSF Fire AAR build for quite a while now. Which one would you consider being “better” in terms of endgame content, this one or the Mage Hunter version? They seem pretty similar, biggest difference being that this one tries to avoid damage with mobility while the Mage Hunter relies on his Seal to facetank most stuff

This is a very difficult question actually, not something that can be derived with simple analysis. I myself don’t know, and asking my acquaintances they struggle to give me a definitive answer as well. Requires proper tests, but noone I know did them (except @Duchy maybe)

Yes, in simple words it’s like that.

I did Sorcerer and Templar but I think that Mage Hunter will be the best. I am sure that someone has posted a Mage Hunter on the forum.

What about Physical Templar and Mage Hunter? Would you or @Duchy mind saying what the pros/cons are of each?

Definitely Templar. There is also such build on the forum.

1 Like

Templar has more resistance removal, inquisitor only has it by using conduit amulet (but there you probably want something else…)

@ ULVAR i didnt say that its because of the guide. Its just my opinion that off isnt the rigt skill at the beginning. I allmost made no dmg with it at the end of flooded Passage. I started the Albrechts aether ray guide from david allen and i rushed through act 1. and im now at the end. I just need to kill Krieg. And it was so easy with this guide. Everybody has its own Playstyle.