[1.1.9.0] Beginner's Lightning Warder

Best to farm Totems for such blueprints imo.

1 Like

Super Noobish here, Are you supposed to max out Arcane Bomb on Widow?

2 Likes

Welcome to grim dawn and to the forums :blush:

Devotion procs (like Arcane Bomb), level up on their own as you use them and hence will max out eventually. So, it is not really something you need to do as much as “something that happens on its own”.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!!

1 Like

First of all, I would like to thank the author and the community for making a great guide. I am absolutely new to the game and have a plan to start it today with this build. My question will be addressing the gear. What kind of items am I looking for while leveling? Is there a general rule of thumb for the gear? Should I read up some other guides regarding this?

Thank you for the help.

Hello

For this build specifically you want gear that has skill bonuses to Primal Strike, Torrent, Storm Surge, armor / resistances, %lightning damage, offensive ability, attack speed.

There are a couple of general guides that are relevant here:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer and the links. I am truly having a lot of fun with this build already.

Imo it’s also worth to analyze OP’s Grim Tools link at various levels to get a feeling what he prioritizes.

1 Like

Hey there again. Ultos set blueprint is random drop, right? And - as offtopic - dynamite blueprint random, too?

I just cannot understand how to recognise it in blueprint description in GT, which one is random drop and wich i Can buy from fractions FE. Maybe there is any way?

It can be bought from a faction or a vendor if it has it in its description. It’s random otherwise.

2 Likes

This guide is simply perfect… congrats. Perfect explain for noobs like me

First of all, great guide, really thorough and new player friendly.

Any tip about the loot filter settings to have good itemization through the leveling process? i was considering on the weapon type only show 2h weapons and on the damage type, physical and lightning maybe?

Any suggestions on this or is it irrelevant? Thanks in advance

Only showing 2h weapons is great to filter, but I would not filter damage types, because that would also exclude any gear that does not scale physical and lightning. This means that a lot of gear with other good mods like good resists, armor, DA is also gonna get excluded. During leveling, resists, armor, DA are often more important than damage mods since you get plenty of damage from skills and devotions. If you look at Stupid_Dragon’s snapshots, for example, there are several great gear pieces that do not scale lightning damage directly and would, thus, not show on a filter that excludes it.

I really wish that GD filter options were better and that you could better specify this kind of thing. You either filter too much stuff and miss out on great gear pieces or filter too little and end picking up questionable drops. I usually only filter weapons, shields or off-hands when leveling.

I personally always filter out just yellows and whites on all chars. Can always use the cash and usually you find good gear that way.

2 Likes

I just started this build and i really like it so far. I have one question though i was looking at Kraken in the devotions and i notice Tempest . I’m wondering why would’t you get that devotion since it has so much lightning and electrocute damage not to mention lightning resists and OA and DA %total speed and from the looks a nice proc?

Anyway this is a great guide. I can’t stand the others on this site that just post GT builds and videos of them killing stuff. Thats not a guide. Its just showing the end not the journey to it :slight_smile:

That’s because those are endgame builds, that require specific gear. And they also assume that you have at least a basic understanding of game mechanics. Definitely not beginner friendly builds.

2 Likes

Yeah like Foehammer said those aren’t meant to be guides. There are endgame builds, aimed towards people already very familiar with the game, and then there are leveling guides. There is no obligation for a post to have both. The ones that are guides explicitly have “Beginner” or somesuch in the title. If you want a lot more look in the Beginner build guides compendium.

1 Like

You get plenty of Lightning damage goodness from Hand of Ultos and Spear of the Heavens. Very few if any builds can afford to tunnel vision damage and damage procs. Some spots in devotion, gearing, skills or otherwise have to be set apart to build up important stats to the appropriate levels (e.g. Kraken) and Tempest either doesn’t have those stats, doesn’t have them in adequate levels, the affinity requirement/reward for it makes it difficult to fit in with everything else wanted in the limited number of devotion points, or some combination of the above.

2 Likes

Or in another words - you need those Blue and Red points that Kraken provides (for i.e. Ultos and Spear)
and at the same time it’s the best devotion that gives those so you just take it.
And with 26% attack speed and other bonuses it’s probably even better than Tempest.

I think I made a 2h build without Kraken once (went full Bleed - Wolf etc, without Blue points)
and once with partial Kraken (because I didn’t need Casting Speed nodes as I had 200% anyway)
and all the rest, let’s say a hundred, with Kraken.

2 Likes

Aye, Kraken is almost required for any 2H weapon build, it’s just that good. If it’s a question between that and Tempest? Always Kraken. Always. No question.

3 Likes