[1.2.0.3] Witch Hunter w/ Ember's Calling set - Fire/Burn Dreeg's Evil Eye, -75% Fire RR

Hi everyone,

New to this game. So a disclaimer, I haven’t got past Normal Act 3 yet. I enjoy checking out builds and trying to make one myself. I saw Ember’s Calling set and how it involves skills from 3 masteries which are Occultist, Demo, and Nightblade. I wanted to try work this out with Witch Hunter.

After efforts of combing through Item Database, I noticed there’s not much of flexibility compare to Pyromancer (Occultist + Demo). I cannot see Ember’s Calling for Witch Hunter working
without Mythical Tome of Atonement. Without it, DEE’s acid damage is unconverted and the set items doesn’t have +% Acid/Poison. Alternatively, there’s a Conduit necklace with Chaos damage DEE. I tried to build based on this necklace but it felt like trying to fit square into circle. I think only Pyromancer can make that shine. This was before I found out about that Tome.

Then I ended up going with bolstered Veil of Shadow more by adding additional -15% RR on top of 1H weapon adding another +1 meter range and -10% Fire RR. In result, Veil of Shadow has 10.5 meter range and emits -47% Fire RR, combined with Curse of Frailty’s -28%, making it -75% Fire RR.

I’m hoping that will make a good damage output. Please check out the build calculator below:

updated: 1.2.0.3 GRIMTOOLS with tqFan’s feedback

Please provide feedbacks especially criticism / suggestions. I’m still new @ Normal Act 3, working to get Witch Hunter there with Ember’s Calling. From my reading of builds and their comments, having green items may be frowned upon, if there’s purple items that can work, please let me know. Happy New Year! :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

That’s very good for a new player. That said:

1. image Think about what’s wrong about this :stuck_out_tongue:

2. Hydra devotion doesn’t do anything for you if you don’t wield a ranged weapon.

3. You could use some X Reduced Target’s Resistances (but not Viper, it’s sth else and far less valuable). Elemental Storm from Rhowan’s Crown is easily to include in your devotion and would boost your damage a lot. You could put it on 1p Blade Spirit for example

4. I see that you have Beronath’s Fury melee skill from a component which really doesn’t work well with a single weapon like that, no flat damage and little Attack Speed. I takes more work to make a hybrid melee / caster.

If you want a filler skill, change it to some other component skill, you have nearly 200% casting speed anyway - Acid Purge, Chain Lightning, Chillspikes, Stormfire, Biting Blades etc. They all should work to some degree at least because various conversions you have. Skills granted by items [video, GT links, damage types, source item types]

If you don’t (because you want to be kiting all the time for example) - change it to some other component.

PS Dreeg’s Evil Eye should have a nice Fire visual in the upcoming patch.

1 Like

Totally messed up these pointers :sweat_smile: Didn’t see ranged weapon line. I tried to remove Hydra but can’t, so that must mean there’s a invested devotion that rely on Hydra’s bonus. I’ll edit to add this when I get these sorted out. Definitely thankful for your suggestions, right on about trying to play it like hybrid. Not practical, lol

You can edit devotions easier if you toggle “Ignore Devotion Requirements” in GT settings. But be sure to check if all requirements are met after you finish :slight_smile: I doubt any experienced player does devotions w/o this setting turn on.

1 Like

Alright, after your feedback and suggestions, here’s what I got, I had to remove 2 devotion points from Lotus as I came up short for last constellation. That lost me 8% vitality resistance, so I converted the gloves’ +30 DA augment to 15% vitality resistance. Now that should be good. Your compiled list of granted skill items is very resourceful!

How is this looking? edit: do you suppose I should remove the rest of Lotus’ constellation points and fill up the remaining Rhowan’s Crown? Basically trading 3% physical resist for more damage?

1 Like

I like having more devo procs so I included Crab and Hyriam Witch Hunter, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Nice. I was trying to make a spam DEE with the set, though with different conduit, and came out extremely unhappy with results. You have way more RR and better focus on fire, so it should generally work better. And I hear burst DEE is strictly better than spam one.