[1.2.0.6 - 1.1.9.8 ?][Linux] Internet has lock icon + can’t join

Hello Crate,

Firstly, congratulations for this amazing game

My friend have a big problem on his game (and can’t make an account on the website) so I just transmit everything :

Hello Crate, your game is awesome, and I’m French, so, sorry if something isn’t correctly clear because of a bad translation.

It ressembles to the issue reported here :
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/internet-has-lock-icon-for-friend/127608/16
But the subject is closed, and I don’t found what investigating the issue has reveal today

Basically :

• I can’t host or join any multiplayer game online, the internet has a lock icon
  • If I try to join, my game « crashes », black screen, and I need to force shut down the game/restart the computer (probably because it’s in LAN and not configured)
  • I am on Linux, on Ubuntu 22, and I use the Steam version, with Proton 7.0-6 (the other ones doesn’t work or less efficiently)
  • I technicaly had the similar problem before 1.2 ; but I resolved it with going to the previous Beta. But now, the only accessible Beta for me is the 1.1.9.8 where the same occurs.
    So I’m stuck between 2 version of the game where I can only play offline.

Of course, I read this dedicated post for commun issues :

And I tried to resolve it with. But… when I go to the options, UPnP is allowed and say it’s totally fine !

But when I was trying to configure and resolve as detailed in the post, I discovered a variation in the connection : in the option menu, if I check the network status several times, sometimes (but clearly a minority of times) it says it’s not the correct IP. But, if I redo it… it quickly says everything is okay !
When I was looking my router IP, computer IP and other informations to try to enable the UPnP (before realising it was ok, according to the game menu), I found my computer IP seems to change « order » depending on how I try to identify it (sometimes it’s something 192.168.1.XXX ; and by another way, it’s XXX.192.168.1 ; or 192.168.XXX.1)
I could think that may be a symptom of the issue… but this « variating IP » doesn’t make troubles for other online games I play. And if the IP is just about allowing the UPnP… the UPnP indicate it’s all fine. So I’m not sure if it’s really the issue ?

I don’t know if it’s related, but on Steam, it looks like I downloaded the 1.2 version, and in game, I have access to the dash action + the potions act like spells with cooldown ; so basically I think I run the game in 1.2
But at the launching of the game, under the Crate logo, I see that I am on 1.1.9.4. And after, on the main menu, in the bottom right I see 1.2.0.3 ; so I think it’s just a display issue, but not something important

After trying other Proton versions, uninstall and reinstall the game, and of course what I detailed above… I’m out of solution :frowning:

So, is there any news about this problem ? Is there already something know to resolve it, or in the opposite, still a known issue not clearly diagnosed, but maybe for a future update ?

Thanks a lot

This makes me think there’s something wrong with your installation.

That aside, we do not officially support Linux, so I can’t say what impact that could be having.

if multiplayer button has lock icon it might suggest the game is thinking/“reading” your client as being offline
so maybe something is going on with your install/system to make it react like that

*i’ve no clue what would be causing it, and no familiarity with linux, but haven’t really seen it mentioned much by other linux users on steam forum or discord
perhaps asking other linux users about their install might also be something?

New message from my friend :

Thanks a lot for your responses and reactivity (and sorry for my absence of reactivity :sob: )

Firstly, a new uninstallation/re-installation seems to have corrected the version displayed on the main menu screen (now it’s 1.2.0.5) and no version mentionned during the Crate logo at launch.

So, at least, it’s okay, even if it just seems to be a random aspect (because it was not my first uninstall/re-install).

Sadly the Internet still have a lock icon for multiplayer. But I will continue to investigate, with other Linux users but others too, and I will come back here to detail solutions I may find.

Thanks again !

I have tested the Multiplayer functionality under Linux (Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS, KDE Plasma 5.27.11) just now. I was able to join a multiplayer game without any problems.