A bunch of noob questions

Now this is my opinion only and there will be some arguments over it but armor absorption is a very overrated stat. Especially in early levels and main campaign, yes you need every bit damage reduction in high levels of SR and Crucible and armor is one of the most important stat that reduces your received damage but there are lots of build that can do those level without %100 armor absorption. The most important thing is the armor itself, you need to pick high armor valued gears on almost every slot but chest and legs are really important, then you can get extra armor through other gear stats, devotions, skill etc; the last thing you gonna do is capping your armor absorption and if you have over avarage armor values, you don’t need to sacrifice some other thing to do so. But if your character has low armor value on gear and low physical resistance, you need to cap that.

PS: Armor only reduces physical damage income however most of the big hits also contains lots of physical damage so you need armor along with physical resistance/damage reduction debuff/DA etc

1 Like

I don’t care much for armor absorb pre 90 level, but at maxed level you need to look at your armor first. For me if it’s below 2k, I prefer to raise my armor to as near as possible to 2k and if it still below 2k, then 84-90% is enough as you’re squishy anyway. If my armor is between 2k - 2.5k I get it to 92-100%, more than that is full 100%.

1 Like
  1. anyone know where the save file is lol? both regular and cloud.
    nevermind i found the files.
  2. those stats on weapons/ armor that give actual damage (12-24 physical damage). how important are they to attack and cast builds?

Flat damage is multiplied by % damage. It scales insanely well with big fat % damage. Especially important for auto attack builds, like Fire Strike, Savagery etc and in general skills with big weapon damage like Blade Arc or Forcewave, For skills without weapon damage is useless. For example 12-24 damage will NOT boost your Trozan or Sigils damage.

1 Like
  1. so i was playing this whole time with cloud saves, which i don’t want to do anymore. tried moving those saves into the Steam/ steamapps/ common/ Grim Dawn/ save folder but the game won’t recognize my saves. any ideas? i didn’t do a copy paste with 2 same name folders save/ save.

nvm figured it out. its annoying tho, i used a difficulty unlock thing while i was online but my bags are gone offline (steam).

The steamapps location is the cloud saving one. For local saves they go into My Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save

Here a guide on how to do it

powbam added some screenshots around post 208 if that makes it easier for you to understand.

And make sure cloud saving is turned off in both the Steam settings and the ingame Options menu.

1 Like
  1. do mods from skills and items affect procs from equipment?

No, skills and procs from equipment are not affected by skill modifiers.

1 Like

nvm nvm
disregard

1. The Magelord rings don’t convert 30% of each type, it’s a little less but close enough.
  2. Legendaries can drop wherever, but you need to have the expansions in order to get them.
  3. Depends on the build. 2700-2900 is a good minimum for pushing SR 65 or higher. Builds with high crit damage (like Fire Strike with Searing Might builds) need high OA, at least 3K+ to feel good.
  4. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EUoW6I5brZDEvlex8UPt2Hvn9jTIejhF8LuVJ2JoESA/
  5. Never traded so don’t know.
  6. https://www.grimtools.com/db/ You can look up the upper and lower ranges for particular items and affixes.
  7. This one has been answered thoroughly already.
1 Like
  1. if i cast a spell on one weapon set then switch, do i still get the bonuses associated with that set?
  2. so when i convert damage on a skill, do the skill mods in the skill tree (i.e. +50% fire damage but the skill now does electric) become useless?
  3. if the first and main skill in a 2 or 3 part skill tree gets its damage converted (in this example mortar in demo i have an equipment piece that converts the main skill physical to electric) does the other damage of the same type get converted further down the skill tree?

After 6 builds and over 1 k hours, i want to tell you my personal experience: Dont salvage blues, its not worth it, sell them or stash one of each. Salvage only Legendaries if you have too much of them to ever use. If you gonna spend more time in this game Legendaries in general will be not rare anymore. Although Aether Crystals (3x=Dynamite) are not difficult to farm, i think 20% chance to get a rare mat from blues is not worth 3 Crystals. Thats like 15 crystals for 1 rare mat (math here probably wrong). No thanks. I only think about salvaging if i have shortage of scrap and rare mats which is not happening yet and then its only going to be copies of abundant Legendaries.
I would have had 1 k more crystals if i would have considered this earlier.
In short: Dont salvage if there is no need. I like to sit on 1k+ crystals. Dynamite is only for emergency.

As others wrote, they dont stack if they have the same skill name (same source) but it helps if you use them both anyway to spread/deliver RR faster and more reliable even to more opponents. I have 2 builds using double RR rings with the same source and they dont stack but they do their job better together.

No! Exactly in that case its not useless. Because the +% damage mod for that skill comes before conversion

That i wanna know too. I am not sure. But my best guess its not.

1 Like

I am quite sure that shields can block every damage except some ground pool damage.
Every DoT instance is a damage hit. It can be blocked. Thats a good thing but also the biggest problem of shields. Because they have a cooldown for the block and it can be high as 1.2 sec. And you dont wanna block only because of a tiny tick and then wait a second and not be able to block the next super big hit after that. But it can be reduced to zero downtime, which means that it has the potential to block all blockable attacks at any time.
e.g. 100% Recovery and 100% chance to block = the shield is ALWAYS absorbing, direct or DoT (except those puddles or similar)

Then you mean that you have a finished s&b build which has let’s say %50 chance to block 4k damage and 0.50 second block recovery. And as your statement an 250 per second acid curse which holds 3 seconds has a chance to keep your chance to block busy atleast tree times. In combat againts especillay one enemy with a dot skill, instead of blocking 3-4k physical damage; you will block 250 silly dot damage right? That’s very contradictive game mechanic then…

1 Like

yes

yes

But with permanent Overguard uptime you get 0 sec downtime for shield permanently, which means that i will block ALL attacks which are able to be blocked, at ONCE even if they would hit me simultaniously (here i am only 99% certain), ANYTIME if i would have 100% Block chance at the same time, which i dont (70-80% on my Warlord atm)
But as you can see, the downtime of the shield is THE bottleneck of shieldplay.
Block Recovery 100% first, then % Block Chance.
Another thing to consider is, that not only DoTs can destroy the strength of a shield, but also alot of small little hits from rather weak small enemies.
If you wanna really rely on shield absorbtion, then you have to go for 100% Block Recovery. And that all the time = build around Overguard

When you have constant %100 block chance and %100 block recovery rate then your blocking ability becomes damage absorption as your block damage… how much costs to reach those numbers? You probably gonna kill the enemies with thought and prayers lol :smiley:

1 Like

Its costly yes, but not so much if you only go for Recovery, 70-80% block chance is enough. Damage is quite ok. But its not really bad.
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2Mqrv12

Nice build, looks pretty but two black matriarch is useless afaik, RR doesn’t stack because they are the same curse. Use coven storm seal, I would also use runeguard greaves as you’re vulnerable to aether/elemental than physical you have already high armor. And you’re not overcapping anything so field of command and presence of virtue bonusses are better than overguard and rf. But I’m only speaking theoretically bc I have never had a s&b end game build. I have been playing GD for 5 months, I always play 2H or DW melee, I only made one acid s&b retal build then regret it instantly and turned dw acid; and now creating an eccentric build with a templar, normally 2H but I’m leveling as fire s&b because safer and faster.

Also I guess we’re hijacking the thread…

1 Like

You are right, and yea, i prefer DW too, but not 2H, thats why i have trouble with my DW Vindicator project which is a big mess atm but i think he has some potential:

And if you like to look more into my Warlord in trouble with Overguard then please here:

Thanks for your input and thoughts.

Edit:

You are right but i can spread RR faster and to more opponents in the same time.

Yes, but i have rather low Physical Res and i want to kill Calla. Do you think i have a chance?

1 Like

still wondering about this:
21. if i cast a spell on one weapon set then switch, do i still get the bonuses associated with that set?
24. does time dilation go on cd if there are no skills on cd?

thanks for all the help guys.