A Hell Hound Focused Set?

Ok, I know the chance of this happening at this point is incredibly small to none, but I still would like to try.

First of all let us look at the pet based sets shall we?

Bysmiel’s Trinkets for Birbs
Beastcaller’s for BriarButts
Ghol’s for BlightFiends
Diviner’s for Ghost boys
Lost Souls for Boner guys

Now, let us take a look at the Hounds, our Doggos. They come wrapped up as a combo package with Skeletons on Lost Souls. But most tend to not use them much or if they do, not to much of an impact since it costs too much points if one were to focus on both Skeletons and Hellhounds.

Ok, just focus on either Skeletons or Hellhounds you say. That would be a good idea, if not for the fact that Lost Souls, has a bit of an obsession with Vitality damage. Which ofcourse if fine for Skeletons, but if you want 2 regular Hellhounds, there is no option atm.

So, how about removing the Hellhound bonuses from Lost Souls and give it something else for compensation, maybe a bit of Vitality RR since that is kind of hard to come by on Pet builds given the places it is found in devotions. Could even be Flat RR. Or perhaps something else, Idk.

And then, how about making a Fire based Hellhound Set? Something mutually incompatible with Trinkets perhaps, to keep it from becoming OP. Something that gives more focus and use to the hounds. Maybe, it could have 2-3 Summon limit for Hounds or make them like Transmuted BlightFiends with a duration and low cooldown.

I don’t know. I kind of think that playing a fire based Houndmaster kind of build would be cool. Any thoughts, opinions etc?

• Yes, Hell Hounds could use their own Set
  • No, they don’t need one

0 voters

5 Likes

Yes please! I got all fired up about pets after reading your Carnival guide and was thinking about trying one. I was really disappointed to learn that Hellhounds didn’t have their own set. I could have sworn I remembered seeing a set that let you have two doggies. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

While I’d like to see more hellhound support, I don’t think it’s likely, as you said. Your point about vit damage seems kind of moot to me, the Shard of Lost Souls converts the physical and fire damage to vitality. Imho it doesn’t fit well thematically though.

A fire based hellhound set would be welcome and makes more sense. Maybe make it pyromancer themed?

In theory Lost Souls in the set. I made a mega funky-ass build with exploding dogs as nukes. Let me dig it up! NEW LOST SOULS - is it supposed be this weak... The K9 KAMIKAZE one.

So the problem with the dogs is not that there is no set. It’s that set is crap. And dogs are crap, too. Buff 'em!

Unholly covenatn blue set supports hellhound,but looks incredibly weak.Maybe buff it?

Lost Souls Set lets you have 2 Hounds, but at the price of converting their dmg to Vitality.

Yes, that was kind of my point. The rest of the pets get their own sets without conversion into another damage. Hellhounds are in a mixed bag with the the Skeletons in the Lost Souls set.

Also true.
But Lost souls does not Convert Skeleton’s dmg from Vitality focused to something else.
Beeastcaller’s does not Convert Briarthorn’s dmg from Physical/Bleed into something else
Ghol’s does not Convert BlightFiend’s dmg from Physical/Poison into something else
Bysmiel’s Trinkets does not Convert Familiar’s dmg from Lightning into something else

Yet with Lost Souls, Hellhounds become Vitality based. I rather have the conversion as an option instead of mandatory. It is not like letting the Hellhounds keep their Fire/Chaos dmg is going to suddenly make them OP, as you said, they are kind of weak atm.

I was thinking more to the line of the other legendaries. Not sure if such a buff will be given to a blue set. But if possible, I would welcome it :stuck_out_tongue:

Oops, after a reread I think I misunderstood what you said there. :grimacing:

What do you think about pet pyro? I really like the idea, but due to demo it would probably have to be a pet/caster hybrid, making it subpar performance-wise.

Depends. If done like Ghol’s set, which I presume is also intended atleast in part to be a hybrid set, then I can see it becoming pretty good.

Personally, I rather it be purely pet focused, but the idea of a hound master fighting alongside their pets also fits thematically.

And +1 for pet Pyro. Dracarris could use some love :yum:

1 Like

I can imagine the set as some kind of “hellfire” (fire/chaos) set with skill support for Hellhound and Thermite Mines and/or Blackwater Cocktail, which would fit thematically and would give the caster a more active role (like Ghol)

This +1. Covenant is big part of AoM lore but this set just takes up space. Even for a blue set, it’s quite bad.

Good idea.

I haven’t played pet builds much besides double familiar conjurer, but I would love to play a multiple hellhound build that doesn’t rely on pets from other masteries too much. Most other pets look out of place next to the hellhound, but maybe it’s just me preferring thematically fitting builds.

I’d like to see a 4 or 5 piece set that supports fire & chaos damage, adds points to Flame Touched and/or other Demo skills and enables 3 dogs as full set bonus.
Too bad another item is called “Havoc” already, that would’ve been a good name for a set that lets slip the dogs of war :dog::dog::dog:

So… :sob:

That is disappointing. I would love a double dog set that would double all dog summonings. An extra stormhound with the relic, an extra eldritch hound with the devotion and an extra hellhound with the skill.

My two cents on the issues with the current lost souls set with regards to Hellhound pet itself that limits its effectiveness in builds outside of vitality cabalists:

1. A lot of the set bonus is focused on skeletons. This means that if we are not using a skeleton build, a lot of the set bonus stats are wasted. This is particularly true if we want to have a dual hellhound pet build with any combination of occultist + another mastery (pyromancer or warlock comes into mind). I’ll rather use beastcaller set for a conjurer.
  2. Pet vitality conversion. Again this limits the effectiveness when used on other occultist mastery combinations that isnt a vitality cabalist
  3. It is not a game changer for the hellhound pet itself outside of an additional summon. It doesnt increase the ability of hellhounds to resist damage, the damage boost through the flat vitality is ok but not build changing outside of vitality cabalists. It is more of a game changer for skeletons if we look at the bonuses from this set.
  4. This is related to point 3, but the reality is that the hellhound cant take as much damage vs the briarthorn, cant do single target DPS as well vs the raven, and it is also not as versatile/effective in terms of AOE damage/debuffs vs the blight fiend. Its another body to throw around, and this set doesnt change the hellhound significantly to make a difference.

I wouldn’t mind a set focused around a Pyromancer that converted chaos damage to fire for pets using a 2-handed ranged rifle.

You could call it something silly like “Fitch and Fetch’s Hunting Supplies”.

I kinda find it hard to get Dracarris to work end-game if you focus on fire. It’s do-able but very difficult.

The problem with Dracarris is the “proc on enemy death” mechanic that for some reason doesn’t trigger on enemy death and instead only when they get killed by your damage and not your pet’s.

Yea Dracarris could use a complete redesign. I remember a Dracarris build from back before AOM, it was pretty awesome. But it’s long dead now.
After seeing Chosen Visage with bonus to Flame Touched and fire damage to pets I was reminded of that build and was tempted to try it but seeing that Dracarris itself hasn’t changed much in more than 2 years I didn’t bother.

I tried to make a Dracarris Pet Pyromancer btw (With a maxed Hellhound as the Pet): https://www.grimtools.com/calc/vNQdLj8Z

Maybe I am building it wrong since I don’t have much experience with Hybrids, but it sucked even in Campaign.

I remember really enjoying my Ranger back in TQ. Ranged pew-pew with 3 shaggy wolves tagging along. I’ve tried to recreate a build similar to that one in GD by going Pyromancer, but it’s just not the same with just one doggo. It’s not a very potent build either, courtesy of being a hybrid without much gear support.

I’d love to see a set enabling such a build! Something like a 5p set with a complete set bonus allowing you 3 Hellhounds. Set focus and skill modifiers could be for Hellhound, Hellfire Mines (traps go well with Ranger build), Flashbang and possibly Fire Strike. Maybe the set could give a ranged wps as well, that’d be fun. It could focus either on fire or chaos damage, possibly both. Like Duck_King mentioned, converting chaos damage to fire could be fun, seeing as we already have options to create chaos pet builds.

The set not not using any weapon slots means it could pair really well with either Witching Hour or Dracarris & Wyrmclaw. No chest because I want to use Fiendmaster Raiment.

Zantai pls

2 Likes

Maybe this could work if it was possible to get more points into Flame Touched without sacrificing too many other important pet bonuses.

I found the old Dracarris build i was talking about https://www.grimtools.com/calc/pd2jPEZ9
It is pre-AoM so only lvl85 and some of the items have changed for the worse so this build is not viable anymore. But maybe it can serve as an inspiration.