A Hell Hound Focused Set?

Yes, that is DaShiv’s old one. It will fail hard under the current patch.

The problem is kind of that neither the pet nor the player is doing enough damage. I could tweak it to favour either side and get a bit more out of it, sure. But keeping it hybrid and good is impossible.

Also even if I go all in on Pet without Dracarris or anything like that, using only the Hellhound still puts you at a disadvantage to say, using only Blightfiends, or Reap Spirits or Briarthorns etc…

And that’s why Grim Dawn needs a set 100% dedicated to Hellhounds. Please make it happen Zantai!

This was the non Dracarris build btw: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/bVAqb41V

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YZeoA0r2

I tried this out, but I feel the head is a terrible MI and just using the hellhound alone just isn’t enough.
Build’s kill speed is just too low. Tanky enough however.

Trying to a get a fire pet or pets going whilst hurling Grenado’s is just too difficult. I’m going to tinker with it for a bit longer but am probably just going to switch to spam BWC with hound (plus I got a Houndmaster Zarthuzalen’s tome sitting in my stash).

Can you try running it in Crucible/SR ad see how it performs?

Nah, it’s underperforming in main campaign and I don’t have end-game faction augments either.
It was more of a test to see if the new head MI could improve an old build of mine (It makes it worse).

:sob:

So, with the Dracarris buffs + Primal instinct perhaps, anyone been able to create a build that focuses on the doggo?

I gave up halfway through due to how hard even killing trash mobs were and still think that we need a dedicated Hellhound set or some major buffs to the pet itself. But curious to hear results to the contrary if any.

I have yet to get around to testing a potential build idea (using Korvak 's Blade for 100% phys to fire convert). This is a different concept from Dashivs older idea and it focuses much on retaliation.

Fire swarmlings/retaliation pets .

I think that a Hellhound set aimed at something like this with 2-3 hellhounds could be very interesting. A fire-focused set. Since Necro is apparently thematically vitality damage, the set might need to have a pyro focus (or OK? maybe, but not inquis just because…).

Maybe you can test it for fun, Maya? I was mulling over a related Cabalist to include skeletons…but never finished that thought.

That is an interesting concept. I still need to update some of my older builds. But after that, definitely going to try it out. (Not the skeleton one tho, apparently anything not Lost Souls is too frail for me :stuck_out_tongue:)

Ok, so another idea.

Hellhound “evolves” visually at 16/16 to have more fire and stuff. What if, say at 26/16, it evolved once more and not just visually, but also with a significant boost to its stats to be more in line with Briarthorn?

It will still be a pretty hefty point investment and the only set that supports 2 of them is Vitality based, so shouldn’t become overpowered or anything.

Thoughts?

I would rather get more Pets through point investement instead of having a Full Set

That could work too and it would lessen the need for full sets in pet builds. But then rebalancing would have to be done since when you provide 2 instead of 1, the second copy is still getting the full benefits of all your pet bonuses and flat pet damage.

“Balance” comes with every patch anyways. It wouldnt be different than it is now with the Sets that give you 1 to summon Limit. Just remove it and let us have more Pets through point investement . Like 17/16 in briar gives a second briar . Ghols Malice gives an Addiotional Pet if you compare it to Beastcaller for example.

Problem would be convincing Zantai though. He even said no to a Hellhound focused Set because we already have Lost Souls, even though LS is Vitality oriented and Skeleton focused primarily.

Yeah thats why i would prefer the skill investement for more Pets but hey i am happy with whatever they give us.

As you mentioned the thing with Lost souls is it converts the hounds damage. Basically isnt worth to go full hellhound with that Set anyways.

I would prefer that Beastcaller set gives an extra Hellhound in addiotion to the briarthorn ^^

Whatever the end result, it should not be compatible with the other completed pet sets. Imho one completed pet set at a time.

I’d prefer this to be a new set. But adding an extra hellhound or two into Hard-capped base skill is an interesting idea.

Edit: also since Epics may get a tweak, this might be a perfect remake for the Unholy Covenant set.
Change it from chaos focus to fire with extra hellhound(s)

Like a parent having a daily chat with their kids, so much fun. :laughing:
+1, I love doggies, it wouldn’t hurt making these cuties great again.

1 Like

Yeah, making it compatible with another pet set will most likely end in nerfs to both, so one that cannot be used with any other would indeed be the way to go.

I too would prefer a new one, but if they don’t want to, +1 on repurposing and old one too, as long as it is comparable in power to the other legendary pet sets.

Thinking the same thing.
We already have zombie dog with Shepherd of Lost Souls. Desecrator Covenant could be a good approach. Change vitality to fire damage, some skill modifier on hellhound on Unholy Sigil of the Covenant same as Shard of Lost Souls, blah… But here is the problem, we never see any Epic item has skill mod on it, maybe implement as a set bonus. Also a bad news when Z said something like “it’s the only one you’re getting”, it’s pretty close to a NO.