A quest in Titan Quest

I know this is GD forum, but there is something we want to ask former devs of TQ as modders of TQ.
Im sorry if its against the rules. Ive learned “medierra” is head of Crate now and a former Iron Lore designer. If any dev sees this,could you please tell him. It would be a big help!

There is a OP monster called Dacytl in act4 (Immortal Throne), which its name is purple colored. Just like a quest-heroes/enemies. But it doesnt connected to any quest. There is another Dactyl-like OP monster called “Warden of Souls” who drops a soul key, but that key is useless and that monster is also not connected to a quest and is purple named.

We would like to solve this mystery of Dactyl’s and their quests. We couldnt find anything in the database. And if you can tell us what was the process of creating Dactyl’s and what was the quest or if you still remember, what you guys had in mind about these monsters?

Thank you so much for both games!

(They told me to create this topic on this sub)

afaik, the op dactyl in act 4 is called a legendary dactyl. its just a legendary rare spawn monster that is the bane of many old tq players due to its huge physical damage forcewave that is hard to defend against. its not connected to any quest. just a rare spawn monster.

the soul key that is dropped from warden of souls is used to open a secret gate hidden in the jungle in northern part of the act 4’s beach area. it leads to a secret area filled with very dangerous monsters that are named after the developers of titan quest. (search for the tq secret passage in the net. it will elaborate more on the matter).

i’m also interested to hear what former tq devs have to say about the op legendary dactyl and the secret passages. why they designed them as it is, are they intended for end game challenges, or just funny inside jokes from the devs or something.

1 Like

In regards to the secret passage:

Although I remember getting the key from Hades but not a Dactyl…

2 Likes

Dactyl can spawn in all 3 difficulty. And soul key doesnt unlocks Secret Passage. Key of Secret Passage is Overlord which rarely drops only from Hades.
Soul key just unlocks cages and frees some souls but still it doesnt leads to anywhere. Both monsters looks similar and purple named. Heroes before Dactyl are not purple colored though . Theyre red colored and are hero monsters. But these 2 are quest heroes which are not related to any. And this makes me curious.

2 Likes

thx for the corrections. its been so long since i deal with the keys from hades and the warden of souls. i remember trying to find secrets by unlocking all the cages in hades’ palace i can find, but there’s nothing special iirc.

its funny though hearing that the producers are mad because the devs wants to add last minute easter eggs into tq immortal. but at least it made some decent end game challenges for tq players. thankfully now titan quest atlantis had introduced true end game for tq series.

i can see how the bourbon clones, lokarr, and celestial crate secret boss fights are based from the tq immortal’s easter eggs for devs’ inside jokes. kinda likes the secret cow levels of diablo 2.

1 Like

Well, it is the Prison of Souls and he is the Warden - what else did you expect his key to unlock? :wink:

There are no quests associated with either of these creatures in the game. They’re just there to kill you. :upside_down_face: