Hello from the new, old guy.

Welcome to Grim Dawn and the forums, glad to see another dev joining the Crate team. Especially someone familiar to them. Any teaser screenshot on what you will be working on? :wink:

Well its good that you are back, and yes, Crate is certainly a team to be reckoned with. So how many devs do we have now? and how many from Iron Lore? seems Crate has several members from that former studio, but anyway, as long as crate doesn’t make the same mistakes a that studio, and makes games that are great and without a publisher, then hat will keep a lot of people happy!

Thanks for answering! This is the best dev team ever!

What are those dactyls you guys are talking about? Also, What game and what platform?

Welcome :smiley:

Welcome aboard! I guess the phrase “what’s old is new again” applies here.

I look forward to the new f2p GD mobile game! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, on TQ I made a big chunk of the game’s levels and on TQ:IT I must have made half of them, including the secret passage with some help from Arthur and Parnell. Funny story about that. I got in a bit of trouble for putting it in the game. It was added just a couple days before we made our gold master. The producers were livid but I thought the game needed an Easter Egg that paid homage to the team. So we crammed it in there at the last minute.

The biggest challenge for me during the development of TQ? This is a tough one but I think it comes down to this one thing. The creative direction of the game was frustrating for me, at times. I wanted to see it be a little more grim and hardcore. In retrospect I think it worked out fine.

The most important things I’ve learned about game design.
1 - You’re often wrong when you’re convinced you’re right. I always fight for my own ideas, but I take other people’s ideas and opinions very seriously. I’ll often go off and obsess over them for days until I come to the realization that they are right (or sometimes wrong). This is something I learned from Arthur.
2 - (This is directly tied to #1) A designers job isn’t always to have the best ideas or the right solutions to a problem. His job is to develop the best ideas or solutions, which often means going out and finding them. New designers frequently feel like it’s their job to have all the answers and this leads them to assume they’re right all the time.
3 - It’s easy for game devs to get so jaded and over experienced that they lose sight of what their audience really wants.
4 - I must be a damn robot because I can’t read the CAPTCHA image verification on this forum.

Welcome to you Josh Glavine !

Titan Quest and the expansion Immortal Throne. It’s Grim Dawn’s daddy sort of speak. You should take a look into it. It’s a great game.

On topic: Welcome! Very glad to see the team expanding with valuable people and thanks for your insight on your work.

Not much more i can really add at this point but still, Welcome to the forums and glad to hear you are back at Crate, Grava. :smiley:

I’m sure you will do great work and be a valuable team member based on your background. :slight_smile:

Welcome Josh !

Those dactyls were those giants in the Underworld in Titan Quest, weren’t they? I used to play Titan Quest a lot a while ago but I don’t remember monsters name anymore, I remember there were ancient mythicla creatures though.

I know nothing about the Ultimate difficulty in Grim Dawn, but I am hoping to see “ultimate difficulty exclusive” bosses like there were in Titan Quest, example the Hydra or Manticore creatures. These bosses only spawned in the last difficulty in Titan Quest. Really wonderful game that was.

In GD you have nemesis bosses which require you to have max reputation on enemy factions, which for me normally happens in ultimate difficulty. And there is a secret boss that is strictly in ultimate. :wink:

Are the lieutenants of Cronley Nemesis bosse? I have these purple bosses like Nikolas Balthazar or Moneygrabs who I always find in those Arkovian Four Hills areas/mines. Thanks for explaining, I am such a low noob! :slight_smile:

Nemesis bosses names are in Red. When you get the enemy faction reps to Nemesis, you’ll start running into them.

It was more of a rhetoric question :slight_smile:

Interesting. Now after the years passed by what reflection do you have on this. Do you still think it was something big of a deal or how would evaluate from todays standpoint?

I really hope that you won’t switch the genre because you ALL are absolutely fantastic at it. I look at Runic (TL2) with their new game and they quite switched the genre with HoB which honestly doesn’t catch me at all. New genre also means in parts another playerbase (i would have thrown my money at them if they did something like “Hellgate: London” with deep arpg mechanics) I wonder what Crate could do with a new engine for a GD2. And I still think with your reputation you can easily compete in the todays crowded arpg business.

You don’t need to give any answers if you think you are too busy in making my addon :wink: Have a nose of what Artur does or a legendary Tri-beer instead later on …

It must be amazing working in the Crate.

I am looking forward to see the “badass” contents you will be creating.

By the way, how many members does the Crate have?

you are welcome! is a pleasure

Didn’t realise that Runic was doing a new game, can’t say I’m too impressed by what I seen so far. but who knows, but seems that the devs wanted a break from doing ARPGs for a while, plus two of their team left.

I wouldn’t hold your breath for a new engine, while it might be nice, but having a new engine would either take a long time to do, or try and adept one say Unity, (but that is a bit of a hit and miss) Still, the current engine seems to be doing great so far, and compared to TQ, the programmers of Crate have done a great job with it. So not sure there will be a new engine, but if the devs keep to the current engine, and it’s an engine that the devs know, there are advantages to that.

Last official count (by Crate) was 10, which makes it now 11 unless there were departures not made public.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

fairly sure there are more then that? looking at the forum leaders, there are more then 10 there, still, its a impressive size compared to 2 and many part time staff that Crate was before the KS and in the early, early days.

Overall, nice work, as the team is getting larger and more talent to boot.