[Aether/Fire] Aetherfire Grenadier (Sorcerer)

Second build guide, my first one is here, enjoy.
Same thing as my previous build, I start working on a thematic first, then efficiency comes second, the builds are still relatively efficient since they clear Hardcore Ultimate without much troubles.

The Aetherfire Grenadier
aka the floor is aetherlava

Aetherfire Grenadier vs. HC Loghorrean

So what would you do if you learned the arcane arts, but also have a passion for explosives and burning things?
The answer is Aetherfire, infuse your explosive creations with a bit of arcane magic and watch the world burn in a beautiful green-ish orange aura.

- The Build -

GrimTools: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/4NOOdONn

Attributes: All into Physique (Put some points into Cunning if you don’t have the 418(464) required to equip Empowered Soulflayer)

Devotions:
Aetherfire -> Canister Bomb (100%)
Arcane Bomb -> Grenado (100%)
Time Dilation -> Blackwater Cocktail (34%)

Aetherfire is kind of underrated and for good reasons but it fits perfectly into this build and Canister Bomb gives it a 100% proc chance meaning you’re going to cover the ground with Aetherfire patches against packs.
Arcane Bomb procs 100% on Grenado, nothing else to say.
Time Dilation, I linked it Blackwater Cocktail because it’s sure to hit that way but also because it gives you time to throw all your Grenados before it actually procs even if you open with BW.

- The Gear -

Head: Clairvoyant Hat
Shoulders: Clairvoyant’s Mantle / Iskandra’s Pauldrons / Iron Maiden’s Mantle / Fabius’ Shoulderguard
Chest: Iskandra’s Vestments
Hands: Wyrmbone Handguards / Aethereach
Waist: Ulzuin’s Torment
Legs: Empowered Legplates of Valor / Wraithborne Legwraps / Legwraps of the Tranquil Mind / Hellforged Legplates / MI of your choice
Feet: Golemborn Greaves / MI of your choice
Weapon 1: Empowered Soulflayer / Warpfire / Decree of Aldritch
Weapon 1: Aldanar’s Vanity / Will of the Living
Ring 1: Albrecht’s Duality / MI of your choice
Ring 2: Band of the Eternal Haunt
Amulet: Arcane Shard of Agrivix / Callidor’s Shard
Medal: Mark of Divinity / Mark of Anathema
Relic: Agrivix’s Malice

Gear isn’t set in stone, you have a lot of wiggle room depending on whether you want to focus more on Fire or more on Aether.
Empowered Soulflayer isn’t the best option for this especially when Warpfire is a thing, but I prefer it for the theme, being a cross between a Demolitionist and an Arcanist, plus pistol lets you stay and shoot at range when your Grenado isn’t ready. Hopefully the expansion will bring us some much needed caster focused pistols.

- How it works -

Grenado is going to be your main source of damage, spam it as often as it comes off cooldown, same thing with Canister Bomb, it’s much less damage but provides a ton of control and some decent damage thanks to Aetherfire.
Flashbang should be used as opening and again once the debuff wears off.
Blackwater Cocktail and Devastation can be used after Flashbang and everytime they come off cooldown.
Aether Tendril (or Demon’s Breath if you use Deviltouch Bolts) should be used on cooldown as a filler and to proc Viper.
Thermite Mines for the Fire Resistance Reduction, should be used against bosses mostly.
Nullification and Mirror of Erectote are situational skills.

It’s very fun to play, you basically open with Flashbang, then Devastation, Blackwater Cocktail, Grenado, Canister Bomb and Aether Tendrils/Demon’s Breath as a filler then throw whatever comes off cooldown first.

The build is somewhat squishy, so feel free to spend more points into Maiven’s Sphere of Protection if you really value your life, you shouldn’t have too much troubles kiting things anyway.

It is Hardcore viable if you play it safe, I personally didn’t play this build for my entire leveling.
I’d suggest leveling with a Blackwater cocktail build or Prismatic Missiles until you can afford to max up both Grenado and Ulzuin’s Chosen no less.
I wouldn’t bring this build in the Crucible though, but feel free to experiment.

Thanks to everyone in the GD community, all the people coming up with amazing builds.

Attachment: Skillbar1.png
Attachment: Buildintro3.jpg
Attachment: Skillbar2.png
Attachment: grenado.png

I really like the build, but I think it could be tweaked a bit to improve performance.

First, consider putting a single point into Thermite Mine. A single point will actually bump it up to level 7, which will reduce enemy fire resistance by -28%. That’s a huge increase for a single point. That’s higher than the resist reduction you’re getting from Eldritch Fire, all for 1 measly point.

Second, your weapon converts some of your Grenado’s physical damage to elemental, but your build doesn’t really focus on cold or lightning, so most of that conversion goes to waste. It seems like you’re attached to your ranged weapon (otherwise I would recommend Mindwarp), so perhaps consider trying out the lowly Empowered Soulflayer for +1 all skills to Arcanist and 15% physical to aether conversion instead of physical to elemental. You’ll lose some elemental damage, but your grenado DPS should increase due to converting the physical to pure aether instead of throwing cold and lightning into the mix when you convert to elemental. Aether is by far your highest damage source, so you should value physical to Aether conversion very highly. Furthermore, you won’t lose any of your cast speed and you’ll be able to max out your vitality resistance.

The first suggestion is a pretty much non-negotiable improvement to your build, but try the Soulflayer and see how it feels. I’m honestly not sure how impactful it will be regarding your overall dps, but it will definitely boost your grenado dps.

Thanks for the suggestions, I completely overlooked the Soulflayer, now to get myself one…

Turns out the Empowered Soulflayer was a great idea.
Updated the guide with that and the one point in Thermite Mines for the RR.
Also swapped Eldritch Fire for Oklaine’s Lantern since we get a lot less Fire damage now and much more Aether.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, I beat AoM HC Ultimate without getting any new gear, it’s shit because everything has resist against aether but it’s perfectly doable.

I might update the guide properly once I find better gear but from what I’ve seen on the database, there’s nothing that officially support this playstyle.

Hmm I remember making a guide like this ages ago and turns out it didnt end up too well:p:p .Go and take a look at my guide to find some more details but tbh this build isnt really good. Grenado IS NOT a good skill it rarely hits the right target at the right time and u should not be spamming it less u got some skills otherwise dont even bother. Ur kit has too many damage skills and too few utility ones and plzz max out the buffs/stats. U wont survive Ultimate if u dont invest enuf into survivability …:D:D

He already beat ultimate hardcore act 5 so I don’t think your comment holds much weight. Grenado is a very solid skill that can hit very hard, just because you can’t seem to make it work doesn’t mean its garbage.