Age-old tooltip crash bug, the remake!

So, there used to be an age-old bug that caused the game to crash upon hovering over tooltips. One such witty person found one way to reproduce it: Gutsmasher!

Zantai brought down the hammer in version… 1.0.3.0, which fixed it. Well, for Forcewave and Gutsmasher.

Ever since then, there have been suggestions for people to turn off Auto item Tooltips if they’re crashing frequently. The cause forever eluding the bug exterminators.

I’ve found one way to reproduce the bug reliably. I’m told… There’s no way Zantai will try it out! It requires both a mod AND a save file?! Are you out of your mind? Well I want to give it a shot, perhaps Zantai could figure out more ways why this bug has been eluding him, because perhaps figuring out why it crashes in the mod might also be related to why it sometimes crashes without mods.

Behold! The steps to reproduce:

1. Install Nydiamar mod
    [Mod] Nydiamar
  2. Download the save that I supplied with this post
  3. Load up the game
  4. Select Nydiamar mod
  5. Select Ultimate difficulty (yes, important!)
  6. Select the save character
  7. Open up the inventory
  8. Remove ANY of the 4 piece set item
  9. Hover your mouse over any of the 3 weapons in the inventory
  10. Crash!

Repeat steps 1 to 7. Read Set bonus (4) description.
100% Physical damage converted to Pierce damage to Vengeance
_NyaGottaGoFast.zip (240.4 KB)

One excerpt of a crash dump:

Do you have the full crash dump?

Dump6.zip (25.8 KB)
I’ll happily oblige!
If you follow those steps, you should get a very similar crash report. I tested it with the mod author (VanHouck) as well, he confirmed it crashed for him too following these steps.

Thanks, the crash dump may be enough of a clue.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the problem used to be that you fixed in 1.0.3.0. 100% conversion from one type to another (or “to another, as a skill modifier i.e. Gutsmasher”). But perhaps this is the clue. It was regarding a set bonus turning 100% physical into pierce.

Elaboration
Deactivating the set bonus (by first having 4/4, unequipping to 3/4) and hovering over a weapon in the inventory causes the crash. Starting the game session with 3/4 will not crash upon hover over, only going back to 4/4 and then back to 3/4 will crash it again.

I’m hoping this is one of those cases where the source of the issue can become exposed where item comparisons (Auto Item Tooltip comes to mind) on the fly that try to compare going from 100% conversion to less (or different, i.e. conversion sums above 100% divided into portions of damage sources). Because that would mean you’d solve a case of potential crashes in the base game also instead of just appeasing to us mod using heathens.

Good luck and thank you for looking into this!

If it wasn’t enough of a clue, I’m okay with testing this out for a few days without mods (I have all the DLCs) to see if I can reliably produce results with legitimately obtainable items (Albeit I’ll spawn in the items with GD Stash and such) as I don’t want to go weeks or months hunting specific double rares :stuck_out_tongue:. My hunch is that it’s related to conversion methods that aren’t in the base game though (such as sets providing 100% conversion) so I may never find the cause in the base game.

But if you can’t find the cause from the crash dump and willing to look into it more thoroughly if I can find a reliably reproducible way in the base game, I’ll give it a serious attempt. But no point in doing that if you already found it or not interested anymore after this. I’d understand, GD is a finished product. A great one at that, though.

:thinking:
Vengeance is a duration buff
Buffs come last in the conversion order
Equipment also comes last in the conversion order
Equipment in this case gives Vengeance a 100% conversion boost
Is this a loop? But that wouldn’t explain it… to reproduce this crash, the vengeance buff isn’t needed to be up. Equipment 4p is needed first however, as it wouldn’t crash without first enabling the 4p set bonus and then removing it.
Therefore, perhaps the comparison function is having issues removing the set bonus conversion effect for calculation even if Vengeance isn’t up? Food for thought.

Hello, I have found another case. I understand that you’re not interested in running a mod, so I’ll try to be concise here:

Equipping the weapon marked in red (Hagarradian Enforcer) (nothing else equipped(!)) and then hovering over the weapon marked in green (Bastion’s Revered) and then hovering over the item marked in yellow (Razor of the Venomblade), will cause the game to crash in the same way as above, with the same error (item compare DPS), full dump here:

Dump7.zip (26.0 KB)

Important thing to note here is that there’s only one item equipped at all, and that this involves hovering over two weapons. So we can exclude a set bonus being the cause as I initially suspected.

Curiously, hovering over [Yellow] first and then [Green] will not cause a crash. And unequipping the weapon [Red] will allow me to hover over any item without a crash.

As I was typing this. There’s even less steps evolved:

1. Equip [Green]
  2. Hover over [Green]
  3. Hover over [Yellow]
  4. Crash

So we can exclude the whole [Red] from the process.

But it gets even more interesting:

1. Equip [Green]
  2. Log out
  3. Log back in
  4. Never hover over [Green] (Green is still equipped!)
  5. Hover over [Yellow]
  6. No crash (This means the game CAN succesfully do the item comparison!)
  7. Hover away from [Yellow] (So, no more tooltip window, and never hovered over any other weapon or create a new tooltip)
  8. Hover over [Yellow] again
  9. Crash.

It furthermore seems I can use any of the weapons described in any order and follow the exact 9 steps and it will yield a crash. Would you like more information or for me to do some more testing?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.