Albrecht'S Aether Ray - Acid / Bleeding Type Conversion?

Hello everyone, SinSeven here! Long time reader and player, short-time-poster in this forum. Actually, the first time I ever posted anything will be this thread so I come straight to the point:

Why not include items that provide a conversion from Aether to Acid / Aether to Bleeding on Albrecht’s Aether Ray?

Let us be honest - seeing all these nicely colored beams of arcane destruction in full Power Rangers-mode is an actual sight to behold. We love that, I love that and my wife came up with the idea of maybe adding some more colors to the actual skill. She is a long time AAR-player while I play pets most of the time (and I still try to get Skeletons to work, and I will not give up! :smiley: ), but the lack of a super-sickly-green color and a blood-dripping ray always left here quite sad on her chair.

Don’t get me wrong - we tried to make this work by converting Aether to Vitality and then Vitality to Acid (Bleeding is way, waaay harder to do), but it wasn’t that satisfying. And thus, was never played but always craved in the end. Also - the damage was lacking behind very much, and the Devotions were on a different scale of awful. O.O

Of course it would make some creative minds take some creative time to create some awesome gear, but I offer a solution -

We have all these wonderful “Conduit of [insert thing]”-amuletts. And some medals to that would change the AAR to a different property. So why not add a… let’s say, “Conduit of Poisoned Minds” or a “Mythical Medal of Bleeding Desires” to change the ray to the next level?

Besides that there need to be some other conversion-items to maybe change Olexra’s Ice-Thing, but just this small, simple change… or addition rather, would make me happy. Us happy. A happy wife is a happy life nonetheless. :smiley:

So dear mods - please consider this little addition to the game, leave your comments down below and just be in awe of all the wonderful new builds that could come up, inviting all the Arcanist-players into the bleeding and poisonous realm of Grim Dawn!

Have a nice day! <3

No wonder it doesn’t work, you can convert twice :stuck_out_tongue:
There’s an easier way to make it work : https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/7824 + https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/8679

Also, you cannot convert any Damage type to/from Bleeding, if I remember correctly. The only way is to take Conduit which gives AAR a Weapon Damage Percentage and stack as much flat Bleeding as possible. But what build could it be? :thinking:

1 Like

Hey, right! Never thought about an Acid ray. No build here for that, afaik. Could be nice, couldn´t it?

As other have pointed, you can’t convert a damage type twice. In your example, you just have a Vitality AAR from Aether, the Acid convertion is lost.

Acid AAR sounds cool, but where would it fit? Warlock already has Chaos AAR, Spellbinder has Ice AAR, Templar seems like it could make Fire AAR work…Maybe Spellbreaker?

Bleeding AAR on the other hand, I don’t know, it’s a DoT, you stack multiple bleed sources to make it work, kinda contradictory with a channeled skill I feel. :frowning:

1 Like

The general idea behind this is just to have something called a “Acid-AAR”-laz0r-thing. It would just look cool to have this acid-sickly greenish beam of destruction and malice destroy our so common and beloved enemies while bursting out clouds of acid smoke and poison. Build- and playwise I would recommend pairing the Arcanist with a Nightblade (aka Spellsbreaker) since they could use the cold- and acid/poison components to the fullest (Merciless Repertoire, Elemental Awakening, Veil of Shadow with the Night’s Chill-rune) and pair it with some of the (under)used Devotions like Affliction, Manticore, Murmur, even Yugol and Abomination. We never use that on an Arcanist, but here it would open up a lot, I think.

Another choice could be Oathkeeper or Occultist, since they both have some other Acid/Poison-skills (The passive ult-aura from the Oathkeeper, Possession, Dreeg’s Blood and even Solael’s Witchflame-thing), and combine that with other strong auras and skills (run around with Vires, Displacement, buff yourself with Dreeg’s, Presence of Virtue and so on). Strong combinations and an interesting lore.

I don’t know the itemization for AAR builds but medals would probably be better.
This way conduit prefix pool wouldn’t expand and a non-meme build
would be more likely to emerge since amulet is a more crucial slot.

It’s just horrible to make, grabbing skill bonuses while balancing other stats is really difficult and ends up with ten billion double rares, not the kind of build people like to post :stuck_out_tongue:

Why ask for toxic green when you can ask for beam of nothingness instead :stuck_out_tongue:

(modded content)

3 Likes

Oh, what a nice ray this is! But, I gotta say, we only play the game as intended by those who made it. Thus, no nicely looking pitchblack AARs or anything.
Acid-Aether-Ray is just a thought, and I try to be reasonable about it, is all. So… By the power of friendship and acid, I wish to make it happen. Some day. Without mods. :smiley:
… but d**m, this ray looks nice. :smiley:

How about this one?

4 Likes

Now, this is what I would call a toxic ray. Looks really nice! Oh, if this would only be in the normal, un-modded game with a certain medal or ring or weapon or amulett to convert the Aether Ray into… <3

Or an off-hand!

10 Likes

I don’t think I’d play anything else if this was in game. Black beam is hot

Damn, wish this was what physical AAR looked like instead of the piss laser.

1 Like

Oh Mr Dragon, I would sooo unleash my excitement of this would a) a real thing in our beloved game and b) a lvl 94 off-hand! Think of all the possibilities this would open for every Poisonist! :):poop: :):drooling_face:

On another note- I personally like every color of the AAR. The yellow one, too. My wife loves it since it really looks different. We are playing a lightning AAR char right now. But imagine… acid-green beam of excitement! :slight_smile: I can’t be the only one demanding it now, can I?

This is the only current way to do Bleeding AAR but mechanically, it’s not going to be any good because of the low weapon damage and that multiple sources of Bleed applied from AAR won’t stack with each other.

Say a character can stack 20 000 Bleeding/s on their weapon after % damage modifiers, pretty typical for a lot of Bloodrager builds with temporary buffs up. AAR will then apply 4 800/s with the Conduit. No amount of attainable resist reduction or crit damage is going to boost that up to acceptable levels. If anything, you’d get better output and overwrite the Bleed you’re applying with the vast majority of weapon damage skills/procs out there like Blind Fury. Heck, Falcon Swoop would put out as much weapon damage Bleed as AAR and has 100% pass through.

You could make an item with a skill modifier that adds Bleed damage to it but it would have to be a large amount to be worthwhile.as no other offensive skill in Arcanist supports Bleed damage or resist reduction despite the huge offensive ability and crit damage being great for DoT builds.

Maybe a set of skill modifiers that adds a large amount of Bleed and a decent chunk of weapon damage to it but keeps it in check with a serious detriment to casting speed or something else? I don’t know, i don’t see it being feasible.

I did not say that the build would be decent, only possible. Weak, almost unplayable, without any support, but possible :slightly_smiling_face:. Like Vitality AAR. You can convert it to full Vitality, but the results are bleak.

It’s had attempts. Not as good as a lot of other varieties of AAR but I’d hardly call it bleak when compared to other builds outside of the skill.

2 Likes

Nice! :+1: I tried this one https://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GYA56Z. I was not satisfied with results and did not try it again (and that Aether-colored AAR was so annoying to see. I wanted the red one :rage:).