All Them Old-Timey Diseases

This might be a slight setback… :grimacing:

6 Likes

bahh barely a 1/4 of your pop Zanati. didnt you have a 1000+ people going strong in the ‘village’? :stuck_out_tongue:

Err…um…new record?

1 Like

i think i had over 600 with small pox once

Glad to know it’s not just me struggling with uncontrollable disease outbreaks.

By the way, intentional or not (code-wise), I’ve had a bubonic plague outbreak after my last several raids. Fun fact: raiders in ye olden days used to lob dead rats (which have fleas that carry the plague) over the walls of cities they wanted to destroy. Bubonic plague would weaken the besieged population until they couldn’t resist the incoming force. If you didn’t somehow code a higher likelihood of bubonic plague after a raid, I’d say it’s a funny coincidence with history.

Wouldn’t raiders catch the disease themselves after entering a city weakened this way?

Typically it’s a conquer-quest so they’re looking for subjugation, not takeover. And because they had the disease ridden pests, chances were they were already suffering and were essentially trying to come out ahead in the war of “who can survive the siege the longest.”

So…I know we’ve talked about outbreaks…but have we talked about triple outbreaks?

839 cases of Cholera.
761 cases of Small Pox.
187 cases of Typhoid.

At…the same…time…

3 Likes

hmmmm, remind me not to visit a Zantai run town in the future. :open_mouth:

Also is there an average life expectancy stat in game yet?? I feel that if there is you just tanked it big time there mate :rofl:

Is it just cause you don’t have herbs and soap cause I’m never had problems with disease with THAT high

Dang… overlapping even

I tried to beat ya :smiley: :smiling_imp:

games so imitates real life, in terms of life, death, migration, etc. that it delights

2 Likes

In fact, the introduction of Bubonic Plague to Europe is usually attributed to a 'Eurasian" (Mongol and Allies) army lobbing plague-infected corpses into the besieged city of Caffa in the Crimea in 1347 CE. The city was held by the Genoese, who fled back to Italy when the city looked ready to fall, carrying Yersinia Pestis with them. Mongolia, east Asia and Central Asia were already suffering from the plague, so the besieging army was already feeling its effects.
It is now concluded that ‘ground rodents’ - not just rats - in Central Asia had been carrying the plague in one form or another for several thousand years by that time - they’ve tracked early outbreaks back to the Yamnaya Culture, the “Indo-European” migrants that may have introduced it to Scandinavia and western Europe over 3000 years earlier.

Reference Cholera. The first time I had cases in my village, my first impulse was to dig new Wells, because cholera is a water-borne disease. Does anybody know if that actually has any effect in-game? And if it does (or could be added), how about some alleviation of Small Pox once you start keeping cattle and therefore (hopefully) have a percentage of your population catch Cow Pox and get some induced immunity to the more virulent form?
I presume, since the Rat Catcher is already in the game, that keeping rat populations to a minimum in some way reduces your chance of a Plague outbreak, but if a Trader shows up with the name Genghis of Caffa, all bets are off!

2 Likes

Wondered what the hell was happening.

Not sure how many are going to be left after this double hit. :crazy_face: Only 3 houses not affected - yet!

Not frigging surprised. :rofl:

I’m going to need another graveyard or two or three - assuming there’s anyone left to build them.

Looks like the final count. I had about 820 villagers when this all started.

Oh, and that was on Pioneer Pacifist btw. :upside_down_face: Heaven help anyone who gets that on Vanquisher. Would probably wipe out the entire population on that difficulty!