Any more planned expansions?

As the title says, are there any other planned expansions for GD? Not that i’m complaining about there being a lack of content, just… I love this game and earlier I was looking at the map, thinking “Well holy st, what if they actually went and filled most of this out? That would be f*ing awesome!”

Nothing’s been confirmed but I’m pretty sure Medierra said that a second expansion is certainly possible if this one sells well enough.

Well, there are still loose ends to be tied up. Ch’thon’s been more or less thwarted (if what Ulgrim says is true then possibly for good) and the Aetherials are starting to look like they’re on the back foot. But Korvaak is still around, Arkovia might have more to it, and the fight with the Aetherials is far from over (it would be interesting to see how much effect Hagarond has on halting the invasion). Story-wise, it looks like they have more to wring from Cairn.

Second expansion or grim dawn 2 would be nice. Was there some talks about Crate doing a RTS game next?

If you go to the Crate website the background is concept art for what was/is their upcoming next project. Don’t think they talked specifics about it yet though. (or talked about it recently at all…)

Unless Ulto Treig, High Priest of the Cult, is dead, then no, Chthonians are not thwarted in any way. And even then, purge will be needed to exterminate these abominations from the face of Cairn once and for all.

Aetherials are losing their ground heavily. One of their highest commanders is dead, and people have been reconquering the territory each day. But no, we still have to deal with the Circle.

Yes, there is also Korvaak. And Witch Gods. And Uroboruuk. And Dravis. Too many loose ends, I say.

You don’t worry about that
After they’re done killing everyone by draining their blood they’ll kill themselves

There are already several threads asking this and the answer is the same - maybe.

Medierra said this back in November last year:

"We do plan to keep working on Grim Dawn. How many expansions we produce just depends on how well the first expansion sells and how well GD itself continues to sell.

There is also a good a chance we’ll do GD2 at some point but, due to the age of the current engine, we either need to undertake some massive update work on it or start from scratch with a licensed engine, which would mean a massive amount of work writing all new gameplay code.

Given that we’re working on an expansion now, might do a second one and I’ve been working on ARPGs for 14 years now, I feel like I could use a bit of break before jumping right into GD2. Imagining exciting new features, systems and a whole new story arc take a lot of energy and passion. I’m happy continuing to work on and oversee content for GD but I feel like I need to recharge before I can give a whole new ARPG my all.

There are other genres of games I love and have always wanted to work on. I’d also like to work on something lower scope next, that requires less building of content and which won’t take too long to finish. I expect to be releasing this new project 12-18 months from now. Then after that, who knows, maybe it will be time for GD2. I won’t know until I get there. One thing I can say though is, I’d be a lot more excited to work on GD2 if we could get to a point where we had a lot more money to throw at it.

Someone mentioned that Banished / Anno town-builders were overcrowded but that looks like a wide open market compared to ARPG. Not only are there a lot of ARPGs coming out recently but players commit to a single one for much longer than games in other genres and it requires a ton of content and features to be competitive - more than almost any other genre of games. Then think about the fact that the ARPG genre has a franchise that is widely seen as “king” and is developed by one of the biggest, most well funded and widely respected companies in the industry. Everything is compared against Diablo and it’s hard to compete with a team that has virtually unlimited resources. Then Grinding Gear has around 5x the people we do and I doubt competing against a free-to-play game has helped our sales. Then there’s Torchlight (although it looks like their next game isn’t an ARPG), Marvel Heroes, Van Helsing, Victor Vran, maybe a TQ expansion or sequel from Nordic, Lineage Eternal (if that ever finishes), Wolcen and too many others to remember. Since the huge sales of D3, everyone and their mom seems to be making an ARPG these days. About the only thing worse would be deciding to make a MOBA.

Even with all that going on, I wouldn’t say it would prevent us from making GD2 but it certainly makes the level of competition in most other genres look a lot less daunting.

A big factor for working on something else though is that I don’t think it is good to keep all our eggs in one basket, as a studio. Our primary goal is to keep the company alive so we can keep being independent and making games. While it’s certainly possible to focus on one franchise and stay alive for a long time doing it, it’s riskier having all your future dependent on the continued success of one game property in one genre. Diversifying the types of games we can make and the IPs we own is a good way for us to better secure out future.

Beyond just branching out to work on other genres, it has always been a goal of mine to be able to work on concurrent projects. Not only do we not want to be pigeon-holed into one genre but I think it’s important for us to be able to work on multiple projects at time. That way, we’re not just counting on the success of a single big release to keep us alive, where if it under-performs, it could take years to course-correct and finish another project (years we likely wouldn’t have). This also helps to increase the efficiency of the studio, as we can shift people around based on the needs of a project at any give time, instead of having lulls at the beginning and end of a single project, where not everyone is needed at full capacity. Another factor is that people get burnt out working on one thing for too many years. When people get burnt out, they leave and look for something new. I feel like we have a great team and I want to keep them engaged with fresh new projects and not solely grinding away on ARPGs for the next 20 years.

Since we would like to keep making content for GD, we’ve brought on some new people for that, to keep up the level of energy and enthusiasm (or new old people in the case of Grava, aka Josh Glavine). We’ll keep making content for GD as long as it’s financially viable. GD2 is a definite possibility but whether / when that happens depends on how things progress in the ARPG genre and internally for us at Crate over the next year or two. We also have some ideas for GD related games that are set in that universe and will share some mechanics but are not quite ARPGs.

You’ll also be hearing about at least one totally new project in the next year though."

We know that the Crucible is being updated for the expansion and also that the new rogue dungeon isn’t likely to be released until early next year. So when we’ll hear about any new projects is anyone’s guess. Zantai was asked about it in the last stream, but said it’s down to Medierra to tell us when he’s ready to.

Zantai also said they’d done so much work on the old TQ engine that it’s effectively a new engine now - whether they would continue to use it for future expansions/GD2 or decide to go with a completely different engine is something they’ll decide if/when they commit to any future GD projects.

So that’s not the next expansion area? But it looked so thematic…

No, far too bright for Grim Dawn. :smiley: It’s supposed to be grim you know. :wink:

Grimdark or Grimbright, though? It’s starting to almost look like the latter after AoM wraps up.

The new background is so beautiful (at Crate’s website). Not sure what genre Crate will be working on but if it’s an RPG that will be great. Jumping to the MOBA genre is not a good way to kill yourself i would say. If Crate work on an isometric RPG game that would be awesome too.

Please no MOBA please no MOBA please no MOBA

Hell is other people and MOBAs are what you play to be reminded of that.

I kind of envy the fame Titan Quest is getting now. looks like Titan Quest Ragnarok will probably get another shot to a dlc first than Grim Dawn.:frowning:

if we are to believe the trailer views as a good sign for the game:

Ragnarok trailer on YT: already at 427k views
Ashes of Malmouth on YT - 178k views and this was posted way more earlier…

so what the game needs is more popularity, publicity… sales and more sales . this as a result will guarantee us our GD expansion. Too bad the game is not getting the attention it deserves.

I’ve tried to spread the “good word” so to speak in my (limited) circles but a shocking number of the people I know seem to have crap taste in games. :stuck_out_tongue:
I kid, somewhat, I realize ARPGs aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. What I’m not getting is why people I talk to who ostensibly LIKE ARPGs don’t seem to be perking up as strongly as I thought they would at GD. I would consider writing a Steam review if I thought anyone read them for any other purpose than to laugh at the obvious joke reviews or flag them. A Metacritic review would mean very little I think, as I don’t recall the last time I heard of someone reading a user review on Metacritic (they just care about the numbers).

If I sigged things I would sig this.

This. /10char

This. Card games too. I feel like a lot of series out there these days are either making a MOBA or a card game with their series.

Fable probably had the worst treatment with it’s series that I can think of - an on-rails Kinect game followed by Legends (which I think was meant to be a MOBA? can’t remember, it was cancelled anyway) and now a card game.

Dead on arrival. Holy jeez what a bad call to make. “You know what we’re going to do with this series? A Kinect tie-in. That’ll surely get people interested in our crappy peripheral.”

Peripheral goes way of dodo, franchise sinks with all hands aboard.

I don’t know for sure about the plot, but GD can still receive some new masteries. Also, the current masteries could receive 2 or 3 new skills to add even more varety for the builds.

I think Illusion Packs would be a good way for Crate to get an extra cash. But I’m talking about 20 sets (set = helm, chest, pants, gloves, belt and boots) of new appearances, plus some special ones. I want to help the developers, but I will not buy 8 appearances in a DLC (Steam Loyalist Items), it’s not worth it.

Also, something that all ARPGs lack is an endgame objective. I reached the maximum level, I got the perfect items, I slayed the toughest bosses several times. What I do now? A good response for this question can keep a game alive for a bigger time.