AOE Sorcerer and elemental retaliation build

Hello guys, I always thinked about Grim Dawn is a game with great variety, there are a lot of different combinations of classes, skills, devotions and gear.
And today I wanna share with you some thoughs about Sorcerer and game mechanics that inspired me on this weirdo build - that have a potential if the devs will push this mechanics in a future (I hope).

This is Elemental Retaliation Sorcerer with a huge (was huge 1.1.1.2) AOE damage, that plays from offensive (no joke) Mirror of Ereoctess, that boosts retaliation damage on +800% (was 900%) on just 3 seconds and plays from conversion of retaliation damage added to attack on skills: Blackwater Cocktail, Canister Bomb, Flame Breath (item), Hyrian’s Glare (Devotion), Vengeance (Item), Dawnshard (Item).

This build in 1.1.1.2. was able to close Crucible 170 waves with x10 modifier, kill all nemesis and clear campaign and all main bosses. Was able to kill Igorr the Eternal and Direni in 1-2 seconds, Mad Queen 20s Lokarr, and closed 50 SR. It still clears Crucible but really slow after big changes that was done, and about which I would like to talk, since I am a fan of this game and bought more than five copies at full cost for friends, I have the right to vote and the right to express my opinion and substantiate it!:mad:

The main idea of this build was to use the ideas proposed by the developers in creating a new retaliation-caster in the current reality… I found it interesting and that can be really effective and powerful new type of builds since retaliation damage was fixed in Forgotten Gods (release). After big nerfs to Physical retaliation, this one based on Elemental Retaliation was also nerfed a lot, and I don’t understand the reasons of it, what was the reason of nerfing Mythical Turrions Reprisal shield? Didn’t seen many build’s using it actually, but reduction to 8% (was 12% retaliation damage added to attack) killed retaliation Blackwater Cocktail as attack skill in compare to damage between 1.1.1.2. and 1.1.2.3 difference is 90-130k \per second to 20-25k \per second, almost 10 times! But this effect has been boosted by Mirror of Ereoctess only on 3 seconds, so if you giving this mechanic to players, than don’t kill it, because it makes no sense! Just remove them, or do it work properly:

To compare with Drain Essense retaliation build maded by 1x1x1x2 that works perfect even after nerfs, this one was just destroyed. After affix on +500% retaliation damage to Mirror of Ereoctess was removed from Conduit of Arcane Whispers I was forced to change amulet on Mythical Avatar of Order that reduced mana regeneration and caused mana problems in current build because of loss +2 to mana regeneration and 1 to Arcanist skills.

I mentioned that with new animation FX of Blackwater Cocktail and nerf of shield damage on skill has been changed a lot. In compairing you can look at screenshot below, current total retaliation damage is about 2572% = 352406~ [fire, cold, lighting, burn, physical, acid]
was *(in 1.1.1.2.) 2503% = 333947~ [fire, cold, lighting, burn, physical, acid] but difference between versions x2.5 times!

Blackwater Cocktail while active RR and Mirror of Ereoctess 3s

There are not many support for such type of builds with gear, the lifesteal is useless for Sorcerer of such type and no alternatives for increasing health regeneration, no Sorcerer items for such builds. I used Mythical Dawnshard Armor and Mythical Dawnshard Pauldrons plus Mythical Stormtitan Threads to decrease enemy’s damage on -40% that helped a lot to this build to survive, but I feel this can have more potential with some non existing item alternatives. Hyrians Glare devotion does a lot in this build, almost all non elite enemies dies in seconds in huge area and that one of the devotions I feel like it was created specially for this build. You can check video below if you wanna try it, I made a detailed analysis of all aspects of this build:

https://youtu.be/gCqbu9fHVNU

In conclusion: hope someone can help me improve this build, will be glad to hear some feedbacks and ideas how to push it if possible :eek:. I would like also to purpose idea about transmute item or set on elemental retaliation that does really offensive skill from Mirror of Ereoctess for example:

-33% Skill Energy cost to Mirror of Ereoctess
-50% Damage absorbtion to Mirror of Ereoctess

• 6 Second Duration
  • 200% Health Regeneration
  • 40 Health Regenerated per Second
  • 120% Elemental Damage

That will give large bonus duration and survival rate and will work like Blast Shield skill but as active (not passive) skill? in total cap 12\12 cooldown 23 seconds, duration 9, or something like that.
+800% retaliation buff modifiers that added by Avatar of Order and Turrions Reprisal to Mirror of Erecotess will be more useful and will grant good damage boost for short period of time, that will be the essense for Sorcerer Retaliation build.

I made a Templar guide before the rollback, built around the same mechanic: Retaliation on MoE. It was SR-75 easy. I didn’t make another guide because of the changes on retal’. I tried another version and wasn’t convinced. It lost a lot of damage between patches. I gave up on my retal’ shieldbreaker too.

https://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=733486&postcount=17

Thanks for sending me your thread, I will check it! Did your guide has information before nerf? Or can you tell me what exactly has been changed a lot in your build?

Even if I tried to make it elemental retal’ oriented, I realised, after the nerfs, that these builds were very reliant on flat physical retaliation that was added to the pool on %rdata. The different nerfs on %rdata overall, less flat phys retal and slight nerfs on %retal damage on Oathkeeper made the damage output about 20 to 30% lower at least.

For instance, my BWC went from 50K crit damage to 30-35, Flame Breath was about 100K before nerf and now is 80K, etc. I tried to change the devotion path to take all the new elemental retaliation nods (Hyra, Phoenix etc.) but it didn’t overcome the nerfs. Defensively, it’s still very solid, but the damage output has been drastically reduced.

I suppose you had the same feeling on your lightning Warder ?

I’ve been playing an elem retal templar ( grimtools) since the release of FG and, while it was extremly fun to play, the blanket nerfs to retaliation and to the oathkeeper completely destroyed this character’s damage.

I’ve tried to rebuild it with a bigger focus on aether conversion than on retaliation but the results have been meh so far.

Aslo I wish there was more gear support to build around Turrion.

already posted about it few times, hope devs pay attention to comments and know about it

It’s weird because I see, somehow even sorcerer has more flat retaliation in “total” but the damage is lower. Lighting Warder is somehow has less defense now, dk why but before nerf I did 50 times Crucible 170 on Ultimate with no death, and now I’m having sometimes one-shoot there, dk what has been changed, is it bcause of defensive Soldier nerfs? Yes Warlord and Oppressor now ballenced but other builds on retaliation has less damage.

Flamebreath is 80k? Ok than, but we can make Shieldbreaker on 400k burn DOT’s and in that meaning retal builds with 80k damage is weak.:frowning: