Arcanes are an incredibly awfuly designed mechanic

It is much easier to deduct from a boss fighting solo that he was the culprit, when I was still a noob and first suspected monsters were capable of this it happened in a large crowd so I suspected ryloks, but not purple ryloks, just some vague selection of ryloks, then later I thought I was wrong and suspected servitors. I was only fully aware of them after somebody explaining to look for arcane suffix in a stream. So that solved the issue? nope, because there is also a hero not called ‘arcane’ doing it, I believe his name is mageclaw or something, he reveals it by being purple. So it is all purple heroes then? Nope, wrong again, there are also purple heroes that do not apply nullification and Grava Thul himself isn’t purple.

So all in all, the confusion is pretty much maxed out at the moment.

2 Likes

which ones would that be? aren’t those deep blue and not purple ? :thinking:

I just think they need to flash the screen or something when they zap you. Removing auras isn’t that bad of a mechanic but it’s easy to miss amidst all the other chaos going on and then you’re screwed because you forgot to reapply buffs and die.

2 Likes

As someone once said: “Arcanes are one step away from monsters unequipping items.”. If that is obscenly disruptive, how is it that disabling abilities (with known bugs for reapplying) gets so much slack, when is impossible to itemize against it. I find hilarious how people keep comparing it with reflect, when there plenty of options to resist/disable that, but none at all with arcanes.

Hmm, enemies that steal your stuff and use it against you.

A new nemesis?

Not really stealing, but these two comes to mind. She even use AAR on you.

1 Like

damn, I never noticed that those two NPCs were actually equipped with some skills, I usually killed them off in like 2 seconds or don’t kill them at all but it’s nice to know that.

Heh, yeah, this is literally the sole reason why I first installed Grim Internals - for the built-in nullification alert, as well as the ability to show all enemy names. Because too often you are fighting a clusterfoop of mobs in SR and can easily miss that one Arcane one.

A bigger tell from them would be real solid tho (maybe the balls could always play a ‘peow peow’ noise, like Grava’s do?). Grava is easy, you just GTFO when he raises his arms pray-to-Jesus style. But in the situation above… yeah.

In general I kind of like the Arcane mechanic though, it keeps me on my toes. You have to learn to immediately prioritize those guys. Burst them down if you can, keep CCed if you can’t.

3 Likes