Autoloot feature

Due to popular demand for an auto-loot feature and the frequent frustration whenever we update the game and thus temporarily break the mod that enables it, we have decided to make auto-looting of Components and Crafting Materials a baseline feature.

Why didn’t Crate give us a full-blown autoloot feature, allowing us to choose which items to autoloot, and instead gave us a half-baked one which only picks up Components and Crafting materials? I really cannot imagine a Xbox player having to press xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx incessantly just to pick up armor to sell.

Edit: I’m so glad I’m playing on PC and @tqFan has created the excellent 1-press loot keybind.

Because they’re against that, plain and simple. They made the loot filter much more comprehensive so you can decide what you want to pick up or not. If you want that auto loot everything option then make a mod for it.

1 Like

This is something which I don’t understand. It’s not as if having a full featured autoloot system will break the game. Why are they against it?

You make it sound as if every gamer is a coder. We play games to enjoy ourselves, not to burden ourselves with even more things to do. Of course, I appreciate every coder who has contributed to the game by making mods for QoL purposes and to fully extract the value of the game but that does not make it an excuse to push the responsibility to gamers. We paid for the game and there are certain expectations to be met and NOT having to press a button incessantly to pick things up is definitely not too much to expect from a game developer.

Crate are against it because they feel you would lose the thrill of finding that new special item if everything is just gathered up wholesale.

I don’t play many ARPG’s, but tell me which ones do give you the option to auto loot everything?

2 Likes

I review the items when I loot them and decide then, which to leave on the ground, which to sell and which are interesting enough to keep. If the game auto-looted the stuff for me, I would do that when my inventory is full. I enjoy reviewing items between battles (and becoming rewarded immediately after a fight). The game keeps me engaged if I do this frequently for a small number of random items. If I did that only when I go to the merchant it would become tedious.

I get that the auto-loot feature you envision would take care of that, but this requires that you know what you want, so that does not work for new players. And confuguring it is probably a daunting task. Even if we could export and import auto-loot profiles… In the end this is a feature for a specific (and probably small) subset of GD players. At this point Crate has to consider, if it is worth spending resources on it, or if they are better used for content and features more players benefit of.

I have been playing with a gamepad for years. You can navigate through your loot with the D-pad. As loot is not targeted while you are fighting I have turned on auto-tooltips.

I don’t play any other ARPGs as well but that does not mean that Crate cannot do it. Since they have already created an extensive loot filter system, why not just add an option “Autoloot All” in the options menu? It will loot whatever is being shown on the floor according to the loot filter system.

This system is NOT for reviewing the loot to pick up but rather for a newish player like myself with a new character to sell all loot. I’m level 40 now and I’m seriously short of funds. I need to buy slots, buy recipes and sometimes when a gear that I’m lacking is available in the vendor, I need to buy it as well. The most direct and visible way of earning money at the start is selling loot. And to sell loot, I need to collect ALL loot from yellow and above. And to do that, I need to pick up all the loot that is visible on the floor and I need to keep pressing the same button over and over again.

Your gaming practice and mine are different. I come from WoW background and I play PvP servers so if I stopped in the middle of the battlefield reviewing my loots, I’d get PK’ed over and over again. The best way is to loot quickly and go back to town to slowly review the loots to see which ones are worth keeping and which ones to auction off.

Maybe there’s a misunderstanding when I typed “full-blown”. Like I mentioned above, the reason I’m requesting for a “Loot All” feature is so that it’s easier for a new player like myself to pick up all the loot to sell. The Crate team already has in-place an excellent loot filter, so why not just add an option in the menu for “Autoloot All” according to the filter?

Have you checked if the yellow stuff you are selling is worth the effort? Jewelry and double-affixed yellow items might be OK, but if they only sell for a small fraction of what a single-affixed rare item is worth, I would not pick them up even if I was short of funds.

then you are buying way too much nonsense at the vendors. Being out of money never happens to me, and at level 40 I may have bought one or two items, but I probably have bought exactly zero items

given how little money they sell for, you are better off ignoring them and just moving on, picking up the iron drops

Remember Grim Internals has auto pick-up for Greens. It’s great. What’s left is not so many items actually.
GlockenGerda decided to not include this feature for Blues and Purples so that not

I suppose.

Oh, nice to know. You mean when it’s lying on the ground you can preview items one by one with D-pad? I’ve tried it on Steam but it didn’t work maybe I would have to configure it in Big Picture.

@wulunzun Btw I’ve tried extending auto-loot to all items with my simple methods but no success so far. Although I did find some stuff

7FFD31BA91C0 - Game.GAME::Item::CanAutoPickup
7FFD31BBFF40 - Game.GAME::Item::GetAutoPickupRadius
7FFD31E14270 - Game.GAME::ItemRelic::CanAutoPickup
7FFD31E14590 - Game.GAME::ItemRelic::GetAutoPickupRadius
7FFD31E7F390 - Game.GAME::OneShot_Potion::CanAutoPickup
7FFD31E7F390 - Game.GAME::OneShot_Gold::CanAutoPickup
7FFD31E7F390 - Game.GAME::OneShot_Food::CanAutoPickup
7FFD31E7F3D0 - Game.GAME::OneShot_Potion::GetAutoPickupRadius
7FFD31E7F3D0 - Game.GAME::QuestItem::GetAutoPickupRadius
7FFD31E80550 - Game.GAME::OneShot_EndlessDungeon::GetAutoPickupRadius
7FFD31E80550 - Game.GAME::OneShot_Gold::GetAutoPickupRadius
7FFD31E80A40 - Game.GAME::OneShot_Food::GetAutoPickupRadius
7FFD31E81470 - Game.GAME::OneShot_EndlessDungeon::CanAutoPickup
7FFD31EDF1F0 - Game.GAME::QuestItem::CanAutoPickup
7FFD320F656C - Game.GAME::Player::kAutoPickupPeriod55

I have yet to see the game where it was expected for that game to “auto-loot” for you. You are certainly not expected to pick up every item. Nor do you need to.

I stopped using Grim Internals after using GDAutocaster. For Grim Internals to loot the Greens, you need to move from your spot if you are standing at the place where the loots drop, then it will auto-pickup the Greens. After that, I need to move back to pick up the Yellows.

Now, I’d rather just stand there and press ‘`’ to auto-loot everything. It’s easier and faster for me this way.

I don’t understand what you mean. The game itself autoloots components, iron bits and Crafting Materials, so no problems there.

I use this script to auto-loot everything else:

[autocast by hold]
cast2= ~ : ~ (edited because the symbols did not show up)
initial_delay2=0

Why must there be a precedent in other games for Autoloot All to happen in GD? Rotating camera has no precedence in other games and yet it is being implemented in GD.

Look at the number of posts requesting for Autoloot All online, not only for GD, but for other ARPG and MMORPG. WoW players are requesting for “Loot Vaccum” and other various posts on requesting for Autoloot All. Why are there so many requests? It seems that the gaming industry is ignoring players for whatever reasons they do not want to implement Autoloot All but the demand is there no matter how you argue against it.

When you make a bold claim that…

…about expectations to be met then the onus is on you to provide proof to back that claim up. When you make it sound like “everyone is doing it, it’s the status quo” - you made that claim. It’s on you to prove it.

WoW Autoloot

Autoloot PoE

Just to show you a couple.

Nah… people asking for something on a forum does not equal proof of anything. People will always want things. This is nothing new. That by no means equates to meaning all people wanting those things.

You don’t need to pick up Yellows :slight_smile: they don’t sell for many Iron Bits anyway.

Why does it matter? You click a chest and you move away from it (well to go somewhere else). All greens are looted automatically like materials and components.

You are pressing a button, I mean full auto-loot like for materials in base / greens in GI.

However I agree with that and I also usually pick up everything except for Yellows.
Well unless I’m in Rogue Dungeon because there are so many drops there I get cluttered instantly.

But this may be because I don’t know all the prefixes / suffixes / Greens yet
and I don’t want to miss any crazy green. I mean great 1 Magic affix 1 Rare affix Green because
you can filter out double rares.

@eisprinzessin
Looking at all the Greens on the fly seems like too much.
(and I’m afraid of looking only at double rares)

1 Like

Regardless whether the yellow items are worth anything, they are not necessary to pick up, they are not useful for Veteran players but there are still people who wants to pick them up.

And why is it so difficult to implement just a checkbox to loot whatever’s visible on the floor? If Grim Internals can do it, I’m sure the Crate team can do it better and faster.

I seriously hope you succeed as this will be a great tool for newbies who want to pick up everything.

They probably could, but you’re missing their point. They don’t want that option in their game, they never have otherwise they would have done it already. They have a vision of what the game should and shouldn’t have; it’s not going to match others’ visions and that’s fine, that’s what the modding tools are provided for.

I pretty sure 1 of the reasons is that it would break immersion for many
(and everyone would be using it if it was a feature).

Another is :crate: in general want you to work for stuff, for example with players would like
Blood of Dreeg / Wind Devils be (semi)-automatic but :crate: thinks otherwise
The same with Item Pick up I guess.

Actually, they truly aren’t useful for anything other than when you are initially leveling up. And only to wear those items. This can apply to all players, not just veterans.

I first started playing GD back in 2013 when it hit early access and I quickly realized that I earned more (and faster) from iron drops on the ground then from picking up whites and yellows to sell. Within a month of first starting the game I had immediately stopped that habit and wised up and never looked back.

1 Like